Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Have an Emergency Care Plan Form (for Child with Allergy)
DaisyMamma 02:52 PM 04-13-2014
I have a child starting with a peanut allergy

Do you have a form that you use for an Emergency Care Plan?

Thank you!
Cradle2crayons 03:24 PM 04-13-2014
Originally Posted by DaisyMamma:
I have a child starting with a peanut allergy

Do you have a form that you use for an Emergency Care Plan?

Thank you!
He emergency care plan for my peanut allergy dcg and my asthmatic dcg and my heart dcg are all straight from their dr. It includes the diagnosis, things to avoid, emergency treatment and follow up care.
DaisyMamma 03:25 PM 04-13-2014
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
He emergency care plan for my peanut allergy dcg and my asthmatic dcg and my heart dcg are all straight from their dr. It includes the diagnosis, things to avoid, emergency treatment and follow up care.
I will ask the mom. Thanks
UnregisteredMe 03:27 PM 04-13-2014
The CDC has a 108 document about how to handle food allergy emergencies.
Unfortunately it does not include a sample emergency care plan. (?!?!?!)
It does say this:
Many parents give their ECE program an Emergency Care Plan (ECP) developed by the child’s allergist or other doctor. (This is what my dcf with a peanut-allergy child did.)

And this:
• Make sure that all ECPs include the following:
°°A doctor’s statement addressing the meal accommodation needs of particular child with
a food allergy disability as required for USDA’s Child Nutrition Programs.
°°Written instructions about food(s) to which the child is allergic and steps that should be taken
to avoid that food.
°°A detailed treatment plan to be implemented if an allergic reaction occurs. This plan should include the names and doses of medications and how they should be used. It should also include specific symptoms that would indicate the need to give one or more medications or take the child to an emergency medical facility.
• Make sure that parents of children with food allergies provide epinephrine auto-injectors to use in food allergy emergencies if their use is called for in the child’s ECP.
• Make sure that medications are kept in a secure place and that staff who are delegated and trained to use epinephrine auto-injectors can get to them quickly and easily.
• Make sure that staff plan for the needs of students with food allergies during class ield trips and during other extracurricular activities.
• Contact parents immediately after any suspected allergic reaction. You also should contact parents immediately after a child ingests a potential allergen or has contact with a potential allergen, even if an allergic reaction does not occur. If the child needed treatment, recommend that the parents notify the child’s primary health care provider or allergist.
• If epinephrine is given, contact emergency medical services (EMS) and have the child transported to an emergency room by ambulance. Contact the parents to tell them the child’s location and condition.
• Conduct periodic emergency response drills and practice how to handle a food allergy emergency.
• Be ready to respond to severe allergic reactions in children with no history of diagnosed food allergies or anaphylaxis.

• Review data and information (e.g., when and where medication was used) from incident reports of food allergy emergencies and assess the efect on afected children. Modify policies and practices as needed.

The form my dcps gave me was basically like this:
If a,b,or c happens, give x tsp of aa med.
If d,e,or f happens, or aa med does not work, use epi-pen and call 911.
Call parents as soon as possible.
If necessary to use epi-pen, 911 MUST be called.
The plan also included his doctor's name and phone #, as well as all of parents contact info.
I kept all meds and the plan, in a ziploc bag in the over-fridge cupboard.

I liked the simplicity of this plan. It was clear to read in case of emergency.
Unregistered 03:35 PM 04-13-2014
Here's a sample plan I found by googling:
http://www.childrensmn.org/Manuals/P...ill/018404.pdf

(scroll down)

It might be good to show the dcp what type of thing you're looking for.
DaisyMamma 08:30 AM 04-15-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Here's a sample plan I found by googling:
http://www.childrensmn.org/Manuals/P...ill/018404.pdf

(scroll down)

It might be good to show the dcp what type of thing you're looking for.
Thank you
Tags:allergy policy, emergency preparedness plan
Reply Up