Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Waterbeads - Moldy??
Hunni Bee 11:45 AM 03-11-2015
I have a container of water beads in my classroom as an activity. Its been a big hit.

However, no matter what I try, they keep getting moldy. The kids have to wash their hands before and after playing. I rinse them every couple days. The first time I stored them with a lid on, and we came back on Monday to find some of them speckled black. Tossed the moldy ones. I read somewhere that you should store them in an open container with some water in the bottom. So I did...now they're all speckled with mold.

There's a couple hundred in there ...I hate to throw them all out but I don't see a way of removing the mold. And I have more but if they're only going to last a week or so, I don't see they point in having them.

Help? Anyway to keep them longer?
CraftyMom 11:55 AM 03-11-2015
I've never had mine get moldy, maybe it's the brand?
Meyou 05:09 AM 03-12-2015
I would say you need to start over with new waterbeads. I keep mine open to the air because I find they smell musty with a lid. I've never had mold that I could see but I've had the musty smell twice. Since I started leaving the lid off with fresh beads I haven't had a problem.
daycare 06:46 AM 03-12-2015
I had this issue too. No lid is right. I also made that mistake.

I used antibacterial hand soap and mixed it in there swishing it around. I filled the water to the top so they were all under water. I let it set over night and put them through the strainer. A bit of work, but the kids love them. They lasted about a month. I read that a month is their life expectancy.

I also saw another site that suggested the same thing I did adding a cap of bleach.

Hope this helps. It worked for me.
CraftyMom 07:53 AM 03-12-2015
Do you guys have issues with the water beads getting squished? Some of my dcks like to squeeze them until they burst (which I am constantly saying not to do). Then there are a bunch of tiny squished pieces all mixed in and it looks gross. I am able to rinse most of it of and strain it. Just wondering if my kids are the only ones that do this
daycare 08:13 AM 03-12-2015
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
Do you guys have issues with the water beads getting squished? Some of my dcks like to squeeze them until they burst (which I am constantly saying not to do). Then there are a bunch of tiny squished pieces all mixed in and it looks gross. I am able to rinse most of it of and strain it. Just wondering if my kids are the only ones that do this
yes, I had a kid destroy one whole batch of them. they did not get to play with them the next time.

we had to set the rules of beads:
wash hands before, beads stay in the bucket, 2 people in each bucket at a time, pick up beads that may have fallen out right away, NO squishing the beads, wash hands when done, Have a fun time...

I love these things and we have had them out every day for months now. You will see over time that you may need to decide more rules or set it up a different way.
AmyKidsCo 09:17 AM 03-12-2015
Weird. Mind never got moldy. When I switched them out of the densory table I put some in a sensory bottle. It's been closed for two years and they're still fine. I wonder if it's the brand?
Meyou 09:36 AM 03-12-2015
If they break them on purpose they aren't allowed to play with them anymore here. I have other non-waterbead bins for that reason.
Blackcat31 09:46 AM 03-12-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
I had this issue too. No lid is right. I also made that mistake.

I used antibacterial hand soap and mixed it in there swishing it around. I filled the water to the top so they were all under water. I let it set over night and put them through the strainer. A bit of work, but the kids love them. They lasted about a month. I read that a month is their life expectancy.

I also saw another site that suggested the same thing I did adding a cap of bleach.

Hope this helps. It worked for me.
I add bleach to mine. Not a lot but a small amount...enough to keep them sanitary but safe if a kid got any in their mouth etc.

My state does not sell anti-bacterial soap anymore. It's been outlawed here due to the dangers of triclosan.

Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
Weird. Mind never got moldy. When I switched them out of the densory table I put some in a sensory bottle. It's been closed for two years and they're still fine. I wonder if it's the brand?

I did the same thing a loooong time ago and they are still perfectly shaped and appear to be just fine and the kids shake the heck out of the bottle and still....
daycare 10:13 AM 03-12-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I add bleach to mine. Not a lot but a small amount...enough to keep them sanitary but safe if a kid got any in their mouth etc.

My state does not sell anti-bacterial soap anymore. It's been outlawed here due to the dangers of triclosan.

I did the same thing a loooong time ago and they are still perfectly shaped and appear to be just fine and the kids shake the heck out of the bottle and still....
wow really.....I need to know where you buy them at? Also I wonder if it has something to do with the weather?? It is very warm here, hot actually. Its been in the low 80s for weeks....before that only about 10 degrees cooler. I just started using mine a few months back, all different brands and all of them have molded.
Blackcat31 11:23 AM 03-12-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
wow really.....I need to know where you buy them at? Also I wonder if it has something to do with the weather?? It is very warm here, hot actually. Its been in the low 80s for weeks....before that only about 10 degrees cooler. I just started using mine a few months back, all different brands and all of them have molded.
Michaels Crafts, Hobby Lobby or Walmart. I buy them in the fake flower section. They come in many colors and sizes. They even come in cubes!
daycare 11:41 AM 03-12-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Michaels Crafts, Hobby Lobby or Walmart. I buy them in the fake flower section. They come in many colors and sizes. They even come in cubes!
I have bought them from those stores before....same thing... I also buy them from amazon. Hmmmmm
Angelsj 12:43 PM 03-12-2015
Both Hydrogen Peroxide and vinegar are designed to keep mold at bay and safe for little ones. I would just rinse them at the end of the day with one or the other and rinse again with water before play time.
crazydaycarelady 01:03 PM 03-12-2015
I got some at Dollar Tree also. Mine never got moldy but they did stink to the high heavens. I tried rinsing them in beach. I guess they are just not made to last very long.
Reply Up