Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Inside Voices, Please!
AuntTami 10:47 AM 03-18-2015
How do you teach your younger kids to not yell?!

Most of my kiddos are pretty even keel and only yell when really upset, which is normal. But one of my 20mo(17 months adjusted) DCB's is SO loud! He doesn't say much but what he does is usually at the top of his lungs and quite often in the screechy high pitched voice.

It makes my ears bleed! We've been working on "shhh" and "inside voices" but he's not remembering, EVER. I know most of it is due to his age but anything I can do in the mean time until he can fully understand what I mean when I tell him were inside so we need to use our inside voices?
daycare 02:41 PM 03-18-2015
I had this girl and when she did it everyone put their hands over their ears and said No thank you that hurts my ears. That worked for about a month.

then she started again and it just went to NO, but not just the staff, but the kids would do it too.

NO thank you, or a firm NO every time they do it.

I am a firm believer that there is not a one size fits all for every child. I always approach everything very gently at the start, get to see how well the child responds, reacts and then go from there.

Like I have a dcb who can get loud and all I have to do is get down to his level and start whispering everything I say....

in a whisper I will say or sing, it's getting very loud in here, loud in here , loud in here, it's getting very loud in here, I think we need to_________and he will always say quite down.....
Reply Up