Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>No One Scheduled to Come Today
sahm1225 08:02 AM 01-31-2019
We’re having horrible weather and most jobs closed. All parents confirmed no one coming today to avoid going out. This morning dcm texts kids are bored and want to come hang out. How do I politely say no?!!! I have nothing prepared and honestly was excited for the day to get all my homework done. I can’t say I have plans since no one is leaving the house.
Blackcat31 08:06 AM 01-31-2019
Originally Posted by sahm1225:
We’re having horrible weather and most jobs closed. All parents confirmed no one coming today to avoid going out. This morning dcm texts kids are bored and want to come hang out. How do I politely say no?!!! I have nothing prepared and honestly was excited for the day to get all my homework done. I can’t say I have plans since no one is leaving the house.
"Sorry, DCM since everyone cancelled due to the hazardous weather, I am using this day as a catch-up day for paperwork and other job related necessities. The kids will have to be bored at home verses being bored here. See you tomorrow! Stay warm!"

You could say sanitizing and cleaning, rearranging, meal preps, licensing training courses etc.... ANYTHING to let her know you are working from home but NOT available to take kids now since you already structured your day without them.

You could also say an unplanned 'No DC kid' day is rare and you aren't giving it up. Sorry but not sorry.

No matter what you say don't leave it as a suggestion. Say it like a statement so that she has NO choice. If you leave the option hanging or open, she WILL bring them over.

I have to laugh as what makes mom think they'll be any less bored at your house if no one else is there?

And clearly someone is home to watch these bored kids already so they dont' NEED care.
Jupadia 08:07 AM 01-31-2019
Just let them know that do to the fact that they said they were not coming today that your not offering care today. That you have already made other arrangements to do stuff at home and are unavailable.
CountryRoads 08:09 AM 01-31-2019
Is she paying for the day regardless? If she is, then I personally would have a hard time telling her no - but I would still do it lol and just give a credit or something.

I would just say something like "I'm sorry, but I have already made other plans for the day since I wasn't expecting any kids."

Days like that rarely happen...take advantage of it!
Blackcat31 08:12 AM 01-31-2019
Originally Posted by CountryRoads:
Is she paying for the day regardless? If she is, then I personally would have a hard time telling her no.

But if she isn't paying for the day then I would just say something like "I'm sorry, but I have already made other plans for the day since I wasn't expecting any kids."

Or, you could still say no even if she does have to pay and just give her a credit for today or something.

I do not blame you! I would tell her no, as well.
My parents all pay regardless of time used so I usually address the idea that they are paying for the day with something like "You are paying tuition per month/week etc and sometimes things happen beyond our control in which daycare services are not available but fees are still due as even when kids are not present in care, there is still a lot of child care work related things that need to be completed."

If closures happen frequently then I would consider crediting the parent but when it's weather/safety related...it simply is what it is and usually balances out in the end. We are all dealing with the cold it's not just the parent that can't bring her bored kids.
Josiegirl 09:50 AM 01-31-2019
Yep. sorry dcm, already made alternate plans for the day since everyone had cancelled.
And wth is wrong with having bored kids anyways?? Maybe they'll create something to do with their own brains or *gasp* maybe the parent could PARENT.
lovemykidstoo 09:52 AM 01-31-2019
Even if she's paying, she said they weren't coming. I would simply say that since she said they weren't coming, you made other plans sorry. I mean really are you supposed to be on call? She said they weren't coming, then they aren't coming.
Ariana 10:29 AM 01-31-2019
“Oh no figured everyone was staying home today and I decided to run some errands. Tell the boys I am sorry and we will see them tomorrow”

Who cares if its true or not and errands don’t always mean being out of your house
Ac114 11:43 AM 01-31-2019
Can we get an update? What did she end up saying?

Does she not know how to entertain her *bored* children? Why would that mean I want to entertain them.
sahm1225 12:19 PM 01-31-2019
She never replied back. I texted back that since everyone confirmed early on that they were staying home, I used the opportunity to dump out all the toys to clean them and get ahead on daycare laundry.
In reality, I had scheduled both assistants today to get my schoolwork done. So I’m between cleaning, I’m doing homework. Bored kiddos who cannot entertain themselves would’ve been a nightmare. At least mine are playing in their rooms and although I’m sure there’s a giant mess, they’re having fun.
amberrose3dg 04:14 PM 01-31-2019
She never replied back. I texted back that since everyone confirmed early on that they were staying home, I used the opportunity to dump out all the toys to clean them and get ahead on daycare laundry.
In reality, I had scheduled both assistants today to get my schoolwork done. So I’m between cleaning, I’m doing homework. Bored kiddos who cannot entertain themselves would’ve been a nightmare. At least mine are playing in their rooms and although I’m sure there’s a giant mess, they’re having fun.
Ugh couple hours into spending time with her kids and bad weather she is gonna risk it so she doesn't have to deal.
Lil_Diddle 08:13 PM 02-04-2019
My handbook says that I must be contacted by 6:30 an on snow days if children areor are not coming. If not contacted by 6:30 it is assumed they will not be here and no care will be available for the day. The handbook says that if atleast one parent is home on a snow day children will not be accepted, because children do not need to be out in dangerous conditions. Most of my dcm’s are teachers so I know on snow days they aren’t working. I also charge for snow days. They get paid for them so I feel I should to.
lovemykidstoo 06:06 AM 02-05-2019
Have you seen her since this? Wondered how she was.
sahm1225 07:03 AM 02-05-2019
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
Have you seen her since this? Wondered how she was.
She explained how bad her kids were and how she can’t keep taking days off. Because of course that makes me want to take them on an unexpected day off!
lovemykidstoo 03:51 PM 02-05-2019
She explained how bad her kids were and how she can’t keep taking days off. Because of course that makes me want to take them on an unexpected day off!
What a joke. What is wrong with these parents? They create monsters and then don't want to deal with the consequences. What does she mean she can't keep taking time off? She was the one that said she wasn't bringing them and then changed her mind.
sahm1225 04:02 PM 02-05-2019
What a joke. What is wrong with these parents? They create monsters and then don't want to deal with the consequences. What does she mean she can't keep taking time off? She was the one that said she wasn't bringing them and then changed her mind.
I think the taking time off was to make me feel guilty. Dcm told me her work was closed because it was around -45 with the windchill. Even the post office closed and it was declared a state of emergency. Must’ve forgotten that she told me she was getting paid those two days without working since her work closed.
Blackcat31 04:28 PM 02-05-2019
I think the taking time off was to make me feel guilty. Dcm told me her work was closed because it was around -45 with the windchill. Even the post office closed and it was declared a state of emergency. Must’ve forgotten that she told me she was getting paid those two days without working since her work closed.
She doesn’t HAVE to keep taking time off.
But she needs to find back up care.

Neither has anything to do with you.
lovemykidstoo 06:23 PM 02-05-2019
Yea she got busted in her own lie. She didn't need to take a day off because her work was closed. Handle your own kids lady. lol. I hope they were awful for her hahhaha
amberrose3dg 03:39 AM 02-06-2019
Yea she got busted in her own lie. She didn't need to take a day off because her work was closed. Handle your own kids lady. lol. I hope they were awful for her hahhaha
So because she raised her kids to be bad you are supposed to deal with it. Also she has no issues taking her kids out in bad dangerous weather just so she doesn't have to deal with it. Give me a break!
Tags:closed from bad weather
Reply Up