Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Concept of Paying for Spot Hard to Grasp?
thatdivalady 04:09 PM 04-27-2012
I just find it interesting and was wondering why it is so hard for parents to grasp the concept that you are paying for me to hold your child's spot, and not for the time that they actually attend.

I told this particular parent before she signed up what her contracted days and hours are and when she asked me if she could just pay for the days that her child was here due to her changing schedule, I explained to her that this is not what is in the handbook. She went and thought about it and then agreed to pay the contracted rate. Mind you, she is part time, two days per week and every other Saturday and her contracted rate is for two days each week.

She tells me today that they are going out of town next week and asks me what we are going to do about the rate. ??? It is clear as day in the parent handbook what the answer is to this question. So I'm guessing that I may have to deal with her possibly pulling him since she cannot just pay for days when she wants to. I'm fine with that (especially since I have had a couple of people interview and could potentially fill that part time spot with a full time child), but I just wonder why this is so hard for people to grasp.

I think the person who posted in response to someone else on these forums had it right when they said that you wouldn't think of asking your landlord to take days off from your rent/mortgage because you stayed somewhere else for part of the time...
Sunchimes 04:20 PM 04-27-2012
I always thought it might be hard to grasp if you didn't want to grasp it.

I had a parent that just couldn't grasp it. Then, one weekend she went out of town to a baby shower for a friend. Since then, she has bent over backward to be accommodating. I suspect that she griped about her deal and found out that I'm giving her a better deal than she would find anywhere else. When she heard the "horror" stories about what others were paying, I suddenly looked really good to her.

She's one of my best moms now.
DaisyMamma 03:53 AM 04-28-2012
Yes, you don't ask your landlord for a break, or cable co., etc.!
She gets it, she's just trying to bend the rules...again. she is lucky you don't charge her a FT rate. She knows the answer but doesn't like it and she's trying to take advantage of you. Don't let her. It's unlikely she will pull him.
What did you say?
saved4always 06:41 AM 04-28-2012
I think it could be because some parents consider us to be "babysitters" just like teens who watch their kids when they go out and get paid for just that evening or day they are used. I don't think it is that they cannot grasp the concept...it is more that they do not want to because, if they look at it from our point of view, they have to accept that they should pay for the spot, regardless of how much they use it. I think it is human nature to always be looking for the "deal", wanting to pay the least dollar amount possible for the best quality.

I personally only charged for the days children were in my care but that was my choice. I started out doing that way and did not have the will to change it. If I did it all over again, I would probably charge for the spot because it was really stressful when there were weeks that children were sick and didn't come and I made way less than I had planned (seemed to go on for weeks ).
cheerfuldom 06:17 PM 04-28-2012
You pay for the availability of the service, whether you use it every day or not. For example, you pay for a full months rent, regardless of whether you are in the house every moment or not. You pay a flat rate for cable (at least around here) even if you leave the TV off for a month.

when it comes down to it, I always say "This is my policy, if you don't like, you are welcome to continue your daycare search."
thatdivalady 03:20 PM 05-01-2012
Sorry, it's been a busy few days! I sat her down, with a copy of the parent handbook and reminded her that she signed a contract that she was paying every week regardless of the days that she used. She actually tried to guilt me into making an exception for her! I stood my ground and reiterated what the policy is. She said that he wouldn't be here and she wasn't paying. I reminded her that other families have interviewed for her son's spot and I'm not holding his spot if she is not paying. Her eyes got wide and she started talking about how much her and her son love it here and he cries everywhere else. You would think that would be reason enough for her to honor the contract, right? Bottom line, her deposit will be applied to this week and I will send her a letter confirming our conversation. Can't say I will take them back because his spot is already gone...even if it weren't I'm not sure I'd take them back anyway!
cheerfuldom 03:29 PM 05-01-2012
Originally Posted by thatdivalady:
Sorry, it's been a busy few days! I sat her down, with a copy of the parent handbook and reminded her that she signed a contract that she was paying every week regardless of the days that she used. She actually tried to guilt me into making an exception for her! I stood my ground and reiterated what the policy is. She said that he wouldn't be here and she wasn't paying. I reminded her that other families have interviewed for her son's spot and I'm not holding his spot if she is not paying. Her eyes got wide and she started talking about how much her and her son love it here and he cries everywhere else. You would think that would be reason enough for her to honor the contract, right? Bottom line, her deposit will be applied to this week and I will send her a letter confirming our conversation. Can't say I will take them back because his spot is already gone...even if it weren't I'm not sure I'd take them back anyway!
Its amazing how some parents will use their kid (he's crying without you, he loves it here) to get what they want but if you remind them of these reasons as a reason to stay and follow the rules, those reasons are suddenly not enough. how convenient *rolling eyes*

I think you did the right thing!
TBird 04:11 PM 05-01-2012
Parents should choose the daycare that suits them. She should never have chosen you in the first place if you didn't fit her needs. She figured she'd choose you & then change your policies. Shame on HER!!!
thatdivalady 07:52 PM 05-01-2012
I know!! It's so ridiculous. And I was upfront with her and explained to her that I had two people interview just THAT DAY for his spot. But that because she was paying for his spot, I could not give it up. However, I did nicely and sweetly explain that once she was no longer paying for his spot I was no longer holding his spot and it could be taken.

I especially explain this concept to parents during the interview because it's a point that seems to only come up once the parent decides not to send their child or wants to go on vacation. My point is that children are not commodities and I cannot all of a sudden find a replacement when they decide not to send their child. It's a concept that slips by them...

Do private schools refund portions of tuition when parents don't send their child to school? I think not. And I did play around with the idea of not charging but honestly, if the parents expect their spot to be there when they come back I feel they should pay for it. In this case, I was already turning people away who wanted to be full time. So I was actually losing money by keeping him. I understand why some of the providers on here have stated that they do not take part time children. If I am not available I do not charge. I just feel sorry for the child because I know that he is a difficult child for some to handle and he was doing great here : ( But that's something his mother will have to deal with.
Reply Up