Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Physical Restraint in Daycare
Unregistered 03:24 PM 06-02-2012
hi,

my daughter has been physically restrained by the day care and the management doent look like taking it seriously though we have complained about it.what is the best way to handle this

1.complaing to the licensing authority
2.can i complain to the cops ?
Breezy 04:11 PM 06-02-2012
Could you give more information on why she was restrained and in what way? Whats the age of the child? Was it because she was throwing a tantrum and she was in danger or hurting herself or others? More info would be great!
jen 04:12 PM 06-02-2012
I think you will need to provide more details...did they put her in a high chair or tie her to a chair? Let's hope the later is a huge exaggeration, but I'm sure you understand what I'm getting at.
MarinaVanessa 05:10 PM 06-02-2012
Most places have "no restraint" policies which include not holding a child by their arms etc. I'm not sure if this is law or if it's just something that most daycares/schools do on their own to prevent potential liability lawsuits. If whatever the daycare is doing falls toward the side of abuse then I'd highly suggest calling licensing and removing your child from the daycare immediately.

I think that any time that a parent feels it's necessary for a call to placed to licensing to make a complaint then the parent should also be removing the child from the program. If you dislike something that the daycare does so much that you feel the need to call licensing or the police then you need to remove the child from the daycare ASAP.
Countrygal 05:30 PM 06-02-2012
I'm also wondering if you've witnessed it, if someone has reported this to you, or if your daughter has said it. I know sometimes, when I take one of my children's hands or catch them to keep them from falling or some other reason, they claim I've "grabbed" them, which I have never come close to doing. Sometimes it's just the way a child perceives it.

If you are sure it is happening, I agree with Vanessa......
Reply Up