Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Would This Tell You?
mrsp'slilpeeps 01:58 PM 10-19-2012
I had a woman a few weeks ago call me and ask if I had an opening available in November.

I told her I cant plan that far in advance and to maybe call and check closer to November.

She just called me today and asked again and I said I still have a spot open.

She is moving from another town on the 3rd of the month and she already has her other 2 kids in another lady's dayhome down the street, and she doesnt have enough room for her last child so she needs another daycare. The Daycare lady recomended me as well.

She asked me to send her copies of my contract and polices and all of my paper work as well as copies of my certificates.

So would you say that she has decided to go with me before she has even met me or she is just checking things out?

Not sure what to think.
daycare 02:01 PM 10-19-2012
Originally Posted by mrsp'slilpeeps:
I had a woman a few weeks ago call me and ask if I had an opening available in November.

I told her I cant plan that far in advance and to maybe call and check closer to November.

She just called me today and asked again and I said I still have a spot open.

She is moving from another town on the 3rd of the month and she already has her other 2 kids in another lady's dayhome down the street, and she doesnt have enough room for her last child so she needs another daycare. The Daycare lady recomended me as well.

She asked me to send her copies of my contract and polices and all of my paper work as well as copies of my certificates.

So would you say that she has decided to go with me before she has even met me or she is just checking things out?

Not sure what to think.
it does sound that way, but i would still require she met with you and go over your policies.

I am sure that she sees it where she will have child with you until a spot opens up at the other daycare for her child. HOWEVER, it could turn in your favor too.

I would tell her that you need to schedule an appt to meet first and then go from there.
I would never take a kid without first meeting them and the parents
littlemissmuffet 02:19 PM 10-19-2012
I don't send copies of anything to anyone - I go over it with parents during an interview... and I don't do interviews until I have a space available. I have a huge waiting list and it would be an enormous waste of my time if I interviewed everyone before putting them on the list. Also, I don't want my paperwork out there for anyone... way too many stories of mom's stealing it, putting their own name on it and starting their own daycare.

I'd just reply back and let her know you will contact her if a space opens up.
mrsp'slilpeeps 02:25 PM 10-19-2012
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
I don't send copies of anything to anyone - I go over it with parents during an interview... and I don't do interviews until I have a space available. I have a huge waiting list and it would be an enormous waste of my time if I interviewed everyone before putting them on the list. Also, I don't want my paperwork out there for anyone... way too many stories of mom's stealing it, putting their own name on it and starting their own daycare.

I'd just reply back and let her know you will contact her if a space opens up.
I see what you mean, but I know her other 2 kids are going to the other lady's dayhome. I already talked to her.

But yes I will definatly tell mom to come meet with me first, if that is what she wants.
littlemissmuffet 03:12 PM 10-19-2012
Yes, but that doesn't mean she's not palnning on starting her own

Also, I think it's really risking taking families with more than 2 kids because of the fact you have to fill so many spaces when they leave... even worse if they try and leave without notice/payment.
cheerfuldom 04:10 PM 10-19-2012
I would also assume that she would put her third child in the other daycare at some point in the future, if a spot opens up....just something to keep in mind.
DaisyMamma 04:27 PM 10-19-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I would also assume that she would put her third child in the other daycare at some point in the future, if a spot opens up....just something to keep in mind.
I would wonder this too. After all, who wants their kids in two different daycares? I would even ask her.

I also require parents to come for an interview to get paperwork. You can simply tell her not to worry, that you will have it all printed and ready for when she comes to meet you.
daycare 04:38 PM 10-19-2012
Originally Posted by DaisyMamma:
I would wonder this too. After all, who wants their kids in two different daycares? I would even ask her.

I also require parents to come for an interview to get paperwork. You can simply tell her not to worry, that you will have it all printed and ready for when she comes to meet you.
almost every single one of my DCKs have siblings in a different daycare. I don't take that age group, so there's no choice.

I currently have a child that will only be here until jan. but I took him on knowing this from the start and had the room. We also agreed that if a child came in that was permanent, that I would no longer offer care to the temp family. Perhaps this is something that you can discuss.

One thing that I do experience and I don't play into, is that the parent will complain about their other provider doing something that they don't like. I never talk with them about their provider. Plus I wonder if they are talking about them this way, what are they saying about me......

I agree that I would ask her if she plans to move her child to the other daycare once there is an opening there for the child and make sure everything is just put out in the open..
Crazy8 07:17 PM 10-19-2012
Personally, I would not send her anything before meeting - I give out paperwork during an interview only. If her other children are already in a daycare near you she can stop by for an interview and pick up the paperwork then.
Reply Up