Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Doctor? Updated With Graphic Picture
mountainside13 09:24 AM 01-29-2014
One of my little daycare munchkins (15 months) was dropped off this morning and mom told me she dropped dad's iPad on her toe and it cut her toe. Asked to try and not let her pull the band aid off. Well she pulled it off while I was making lunch. Oh my goodness it is bad!!!!! Half of her toe nail is gone and the skin where the nail is missing is just hanging on. It bleed A LOT! I finally got it to stop bleeding and put on another band aid with Neosporin. I'm not sure if I should tell mom to pick up and take her to the doctor or not. She doesn't seem to be in pain as long as no one is touching it. I was going to post a picture but it is pretty graphic to post on a public forum. But I can PM it to ones that want to see if she should go or not. Help!
ihop 09:26 AM 01-29-2014
Dbf has had lots of accidents like that. I've seen some heal right up and some get pretty nasty infections. Ill take a look if you want to pm me.
mountainside13 09:37 AM 01-29-2014
Originally Posted by ihop:
Dbf has had lots of accidents like that. I've seen some heal right up and some get pretty nasty infections. Ill take a look if you want to pm me.
I have never sent a picture over PM. How do I do it? I tried to do it but I couldn't find it
TwinKristi 09:49 AM 01-29-2014
Well unfortunately there may not be anything a dr can do besides treat for infection IF it gets infected. But it's too late to even do stitches if it happened yesterday. I may try doing more than just a bandaid, maybe a big thick gauze dressing to keep it from being bumped? I had to have my finger lanced and a wick inserted (holy OUCH) and they put a huge dressing that looked like a corndog on it to prevent bumping and injury.
My first thought is to soak it in the bathtub. I would be willing to take a peek if you can PM pics
BrooklynM 09:49 AM 01-29-2014
So a few months ago I was playing around with the DCKs taking pictures with my iPhone. I thought it would be cute if we all laid down head to head in a circle and I took the picture with my iPhone (imagine, my arm taking a selfie while we are all laying on the ground). One of the DCBs was uncomfortable and started moving around and knocked the phone out I my hand and it landed on my nose!

It was the very top of my nose where it's literally skin and bone. It hurt so bad, I still can see a bit of a scar and for about 3 months I felt like it cracked. I think I may have chipped it or fractured it. It was super swollen and purple not to mention gushing blood when it happened. I felt like a complete idiot explaining it to the parents but I was so grateful it was me not them! No more laying down selfies for us!
Blackcat31 09:53 AM 01-29-2014
Originally Posted by mountainside13:
I have never sent a picture over PM. How do I do it? I tried to do it but I couldn't find it
PM's don't support pictures. You would have to upload your image to a photo sharing site, like Photo Bucket, first and then share the link.

If it is a toe and not something that would show DCK's identity, just go a head and post it in the thread.

We can add a "graphic" warning to the title of the post so no one loses their lunch over it inadvertently.
mountainside13 09:56 AM 01-29-2014
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
Well unfortunately there may not be anything a dr can do besides treat for infection IF it gets infected. But it's too late to even do stitches if it happened yesterday. I may try doing more than just a bandaid, maybe a big thick gauze dressing to keep it from being bumped? I had to have my finger lanced and a wick inserted (holy OUCH) and they put a huge dressing that looked like a corndog on it to prevent bumping and injury.
My first thought is to soak it in the bathtub. I would be willing to take a peek if you can PM pics
How do you send pictures over PM? I didn't see anything that says add photo? I'm not good with electronics. That sounds sooo painful! I don't have any experience with this. I'm pretty tough when I comes to cuts and blood but this just makes my skin crawl. Our only major injury was my daughter when she hit her head really bad and needed stitches. That was on the weekend so we were able to take her to the ER right away. That was scary!

Originally Posted by BrooklynM:
So a few months ago I was playing around with the DCKs taking pictures with my iPhone. I thought it would be cute if we all laid down head to head in a circle and I took the picture with my iPhone (imagine, my arm taking a selfie while we are all laying on the ground). One of the DCBs was uncomfortable and started moving around and knocked the phone out I my hand and it landed on my nose!

It was the very top of my nose where it's literally skin and bone. It hurt so bad, I still can see a bit of a scar and for about 3 months I felt like it cracked. I think I may have chipped it or fractured it. It was super swollen and purple not to mention gushing blood when it happened. I felt like a complete idiot explaining it to the parents but I was so grateful it was me not them! No more laying down selfies for us!
Ouch!!! iPhones and iPads are dangerous when dropped!
mountainside13 10:01 AM 01-29-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
PM's don't support pictures. You would have to upload your image to a photo sharing site, like Photo Bucket, first and then share the link.

If it is a toe and not something that would show DCK's identity, just go a head and post it in the thread.

We can add a "graphic" warning to the title of the post so no one loses their lunch over it inadvertently.
Good to know! Here's the picture so might want to put Graphic in the subject.
Attached: image.jpg (57.2 KB) 
Play Care 10:07 AM 01-29-2014
Oh that poor baby! That looks awful!!!
mountainside13 10:09 AM 01-29-2014
Originally Posted by Play Care:
Oh that poor baby! That looks awful!!!
It does!!! I was crying right along with her when I was cleaning it and covering it
daycarediva 10:10 AM 01-29-2014
Poor little bean!!!! OUCH!

I opened dd's door once not knowing she was on the other side of it, and the door bent her toe nail backwards and it looked a LOT like that (she was 10 at the time). I did take her to the dr, who gave her antibiotics and Tylenol with codeine. She lost her nail and it took a good 2 months to grow back in. OH the MOM GUILT!

TwinKristi 10:15 AM 01-29-2014
Oh that's not as bad as I was expecting! I would snip that piece of skin off personally and keep a bandage on it. My DS who's now 8 stubbed his toe like that numerous times. Now from scar tissue it's more susceptible to happening!

Yeah I would just keep it bandaged, covered and soak it at night in the tub.
mountainside13 10:21 AM 01-29-2014
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Poor little bean!!!! OUCH!

I opened dd's door once not knowing she was on the other side of it, and the door bent her toe nail backwards and it looked a LOT like that (she was 10 at the time). I did take her to the dr, who gave her antibiotics and Tylenol with codeine. She lost her nail and it took a good 2 months to grow back in. OH the MOM GUILT!

Oh man that had to hurt so bad!!

Oh that's not as bad as I was expecting! I would snip that piece of skin off personally and keep a bandage on it. My DS who's now 8 stubbed his toe like that numerous times. Now from scar tissue it's more susceptible to happening!

Yeah I would just keep it bandaged, covered and soak it at night in the tub.
You have a stronger stomach than me!!! I think it looks horrible but I also have a fear of toe/finger nails being ripped off and anything involving collarbones! I can't even touch my own. But a leg or arm bone sticking out of the skin doesn't bother me...yeah I'm weird!
BrooklynM 10:27 AM 01-29-2014
It doesn't look too bad to me either. My daughter had a similar injury (actually quite worse) when she was about 3. She actually remembers it. It healed up nicely. I just put hydrogen peroxide on it every day, Neosporin and kept it bandaged until it had healed a few days then I would let it air out at night. As long as it doesn't look or get infected it should be fine!
TwinKristi 10:45 AM 01-29-2014
Originally Posted by BrooklynM:
It doesn't look too bad to me either. My daughter had a similar injury (actually quite worse) when she was about 3. She actually remembers it. It healed up nicely. I just put hydrogen peroxide on it every day, Neosporin and kept it bandaged until it had healed a few days then I would let it air out at night. As long as it doesn't look or get infected it should be fine!
HP should never be put on full strength, it can actually cause tissue damage. It should be cut 50/50 with water when used.
TwinKristi 10:50 AM 01-29-2014
Originally Posted by mountainside13:
You have a stronger stomach than me!!! I think it looks horrible but I also have a fear of toe/finger nails being ripped off and anything involving collarbones! I can't even touch my own. But a leg or arm bone sticking out of the skin doesn't bother me...yeah I'm weird!
I have 6 boys and have had like 20 trips to the ER! 2 busted heads, multiple fingers, chins, lips... My finger was pretty gnarly and it made me sick to look at. When dh pulled the drain wick out I started throwing up but it was badly infected and I ended up hospitalized for IV antibiotics that day! LOL I guess right now my gross-out level is a little off kilter, my neighbor was bit by a spider and the tissue was necrotic and he needed surgery. He pulled the 3' of gauze out and posted pics on Facebook. It made me seriously sick to my stomach! It looks like a golf ball sized whole in his arm. and he's now in Disneyland! Ouch! Funny though, my finger problem started in Disneyland last year! LOL
MotherNature 11:03 AM 01-29-2014
HP should never be put on full strength, it can actually cause tissue damage. It should be cut 50/50 with water when used.
The Hydrogen peroxide you buy at the drugstore is only 3%- the other 97% is water.
Kabob 11:07 AM 01-29-2014
I guess I have a tough stomach too. I would just keep it clean and covered for now and then ask dcm what her plan is for it. Unless he's in pain or it looks like it could be infected, I don't think a doctor will do too much for it. I could be wrong though, so if you're really that uncomfortable, then have dcm get it looked at...
mountainside13 12:16 PM 01-29-2014
Thank you for all the advice! I'm going to leave the skin on...mom can do that I will tell mom to just keep it clean. She does ok unless you are messing with it. Then she is in a lot of pain. Poor girl has croup too!
TwinKristi 12:47 PM 01-29-2014
Originally Posted by MotherNature:
The Hydrogen peroxide you buy at the drugstore is only 3%- the other 97% is water.
Yeah, this is just what several doctors and nurses have told me over the years. I had surgery 2yrs ago and they specifically said not to even use it on my incisions but other nurses said 50/50 about a year ago but others said no. I had to soak my finger every day for 20 min per hour in just warm water. The only time I've ever seen anyone in the medical field use it in years was for cleaning waxy ears. My friend also had lap-band surgery and was told very specifically to not use it as it harms the new developing tissue.
Kcole1075 04:04 PM 01-29-2014
Yeah, this is just what several doctors and nurses have told me over the years. I had surgery 2yrs ago and they specifically said not to even use it on my incisions but other nurses said 50/50 about a year ago but others said no. I had to soak my finger every day for 20 min per hour in just warm water. The only time I've ever seen anyone in the medical field use it in years was for cleaning waxy ears. My friend also had lap-band surgery and was told very specifically to not use it as it harms the new developing tissue.
I was told by my doctor also not to use it because it damages the tissue also. We were talking about a piercing back then though not a wound.
Reply Up