Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-19-2014, 07:40 AM
Kabob's Avatar
Kabob Kabob is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,105
Default Easily Dislocated Arm?

Have any of you encountered a child that easily can get a dislocated arm?

I have heard of children getting an arm dislocated when picked up by the arms but in this case I have a 22 month old girl here that got her elbow dislocated over the weekend so dcm advised me to be careful of course.

I am terrified to even hold her hand now (I was before because she is so unsteady and fragile looking) because she is incredibly unsteady on her feet and so trips a lot and also she likes to goof off while walking (ie drag her toes or walk with an exaggerated wobble). Apparently she dislocated her elbow while dcm was holding her hand and dcg decided to lift up her legs because she wanted to be picked up and pop! Out went her elbow.

So now I can't hold her hand and must be super careful if I need to change her shirt and such. I used to hold her hand upon request when walking with her or just as a precaution on the stairs but now I'm thinking I have to carry her down the stairs and such...which I did mostly anyway since she hasn't been that coordinated anyway...
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-19-2014, 07:46 AM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,753
Default

Nursemaid's Elbow is a very common injury in toddlers (radial head subluxation).

http://kidshealth.org/parent/medical...nursemaid.html
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-19-2014, 07:49 AM
NeedaVaca's Avatar
NeedaVaca NeedaVaca is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: The Middle
Posts: 2,248
Default

My DD had this and it was called was Nursemaid's Elbow. It scared me to death the first time and but was very easily fixed. Unfortunately once it happens it tends to happen often until they outgrow it. It happened to her often enough that the Dr showed us how to fix it ourselves...she did finally outgrow it though
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-19-2014, 08:01 AM
dalman's Avatar
dalman dalman is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 61
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca View Post
My DD had this and it was called was Nursemaid's Elbow. It scared me to death the first time and but was very easily fixed. Unfortunately once it happens it tends to happen often until they outgrow it. It happened to her often enough that the Dr showed us how to fix it ourselves...she did finally outgrow it though
Very common.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-19-2014, 08:03 AM
Kabob's Avatar
Kabob Kabob is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,105
Default

Thanks for the info! The article said sometimes it can't be prevented...ugh....hopefully it doesn't happen here! Dcg is super accident prone as it is...when she was first walking she kept getting odd injuries. A couple of times she got black eyes from falling while holding a book. Seriously....she just cannot catch a break!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-19-2014, 08:38 AM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,753
Default

It is really easy to fix.

Sometimes they simply come out to the ER waiting room with discharge papers and a sucker in hand, never even booking a room. They see it ALL. THE. TIME so won't be all judgy, either.

They will ask the kid to "shake hands" (a simple technique to reduce it) and send them to the checkout desk. They may even show Mom how to do it, some first aid classes teach it (varies by state if you are allowed as a provider to reduce it yourself)

It really is that easy, don't be afraid. Learn to recognize it quickly and teach parents never pick up/pull small kids by their hands/wrists.

This is a photo of it being reduced, notice the horror on the kids face? Yeah, me either...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nursemaids elbow.jpg (4.2 KB, 56 views)
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-19-2014, 09:51 AM
Kabob's Avatar
Kabob Kabob is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,105
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
It is really easy to fix.

Sometimes they simply come out to the ER waiting room with discharge papers and a sucker in hand, never even booking a room. They see it ALL. THE. TIME so won't be all judgy, either.

They will ask the kid to "shake hands" (a simple technique to reduce it) and send them to the checkout desk. They may even show Mom how to do it, some first aid classes teach it (varies by state if you are allowed as a provider to reduce it yourself)

It really is that easy, don't be afraid. Learn to recognize it quickly and teach parents never pick up/pull small kids by their hands/wrists.

This is a photo of it being reduced, notice the horror on the kids face? Yeah, me either...
Thanks. It was more worry of being blamed if it happens here than anything else. I heard of dislocations happening from lifting wrong but I didn't know it was that common. Broken bones and related stuck freak me out...blood and such don't.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-19-2014, 10:06 AM
sally's Avatar
sally sally is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: us
Posts: 268
Default

When my older daughter was 2 we were playing around and she complained that her elbow hurt and after watching her not use her arm for a couple hours we took her to the emergency room. The dr on call checked her out and said her elbow was dislocated and popped it back into place. He said it happens often and had it happen to his own child just the day before. It is very common.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-19-2014, 11:26 AM
TwinKristi's Avatar
TwinKristi TwinKristi is offline
Family Childcare Provider
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: California
Posts: 2,389
Default

My DS4 had this as well. He actually dislocated his own elbow trying to get a watch off his wrist (one of his brothers thought it would be cute) yanking on it. It happened a couple times after, but putting him in the car seat popped it back into place once and they popped it back in while in the triage office at the ER. I had a friend who's dr showed them how to pop it back in place at home to avoid all the ER trips. It's very common and once diagnosed you know it's not from abuse or anything. Like I said, my own 2yr old dislocated his own elbow yanking on a watch! It doesn't take much to pop it out once it happens.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-19-2014, 11:43 AM
Kabob's Avatar
Kabob Kabob is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,105
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinKristi View Post
My DS4 had this as well. He actually dislocated his own elbow trying to get a watch off his wrist (one of his brothers thought it would be cute) yanking on it. It happened a couple times after, but putting him in the car seat popped it back into place once and they popped it back in while in the triage office at the ER. I had a friend who's dr showed them how to pop it back in place at home to avoid all the ER trips. It's very common and once diagnosed you know it's not from abuse or anything. Like I said, my own 2yr old dislocated his own elbow yanking on a watch! It doesn't take much to pop it out once it happens.
Ick! You're not helping to make me feel better. I keep watching her and worrying her antics will dislocate something. It's an easy fix but not one I want to try on someone else's child. At least the mom is aware that it will probably happen again. Just the thought of it is just creepy to me...again just a weird phobia of mine. If it happened here I would be able to appear calm but I'd be freaked out on the inside.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
nursemaid's elbow

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:54 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming