Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Possible Different Job
lovemykidstoo 06:17 PM 12-02-2014
So I need your opinions. I had dinner tonight with a friend that I used to work with when I worked at a bank. I have had a daycare for 14 years. She now works for one of my daycare dads at a financial center. They sell investments, insurance etc. She said they're looking for a personal banker. Someone to manage customers banking accounts and also mortgage, personal loans etc. That's what I did at the bank when I quit. It would not be in a bank setting, it would be through this financial company. So, I would be working for the bank, not the financial company that my dcd is a part of. I told her to talk to him about me applying for the job. It would not be him hiring or being the boss, it's another man at the company. It would pay $28,000 a year with benefits and 2 weeks vacation a year. I gross about $33,000 a year now and pretty much write off most of that in expenses. I pay very little taxes, but since my husband and i are both self-employed, we pay $400 a month in healthcare a month. So, it's not really more money (actually probably less), but I would have insurance through them. Also, it's 2 weeks vacation and that never changes. I usually take 3 weeks or at least 2 and a couple long weekends. Do you guys think you'd go for this if it's offered? Which I have no idea if they'd want to hire me.
AuntTami 07:00 PM 12-02-2014
Well that depends on why you quit that type of business originally? Were you tired of it, or was it for financial reasons/having children?

If it's a world you ENJOY, and you're tiring out from daycare, I would say do it. If it's not something you enjoy, and you're having more good daycare days than bad daycare days(whether those bad days are due to personal reasons or your current group) I say don't do it.

Basically, do which one you think is going to make you HAPPIER! In the end, the money is probably basically the same between either daycare or the job, so you really have to decide which one you WANT to do more.
lovemykidstoo 07:11 PM 12-02-2014
I figured it out and I would probably bring home $23,000 after taxes with the bank job. I don't mind my daycare job. I mean, I have bad days just like with any job, but i love the flexibility especially with my kids. The part that makes me not so sure is the 2 weeks vacation. That never would change. At least with my job, I can take what I want. Plus it's nice to have the insurance, but I would still need to pay something towards it. I don't know. The more I think about it, the more I'm not into it.
AuntTami 07:21 PM 12-02-2014
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
I figured it out and I would probably bring home $23,000 after taxes with the bank job. I don't mind my daycare job. I mean, I have bad days just like with any job, but i love the flexibility especially with my kids. The part that makes me not so sure is the 2 weeks vacation. That never would change. At least with my job, I can take what I want. Plus it's nice to have the insurance, but I would still need to pay something towards it. I don't know. The more I think about it, the more I'm not into it.
Sounds like you've made up your mind

We all have bad days of course, that's with any job. But, I could NEVER go back to working for someone else(at least that's how I feel right now). I love everything about daycare except that I can't get enrollments! But, I had more bad days than good days while working outside my home, and that's all changed since starting daycare. There were days I'd come home from work and want to go stand infront of the nearest bus....I don't have those days anymore LOL!
lovemykidstoo 07:24 PM 12-02-2014
I guess that's alot of it with me is the uncertainty with the enrollments. I hate worrying about that Man, if I could have 6 kids a day 5 days a week, I'd be rolling in it!
AuntTami 07:29 PM 12-02-2014
I guess that's alot of it with me is the uncertainty with the enrollments. I hate worrying about that Man, if I could have 6 kids a day 5 days a week, I'd be rolling in it!
Believe me when I say, it can be done. But, we can't scrimp our budget any more than it already is, so we're not living in luxury by any means. I have 1 full time DCB right now, totaling $120 per week. That doesn't go far. But I still wouldn't go back to the job market!

Although if I had 6 kids at one time, I'd probably want to throw myself in front of a bus again. I'm legally without being licensed, allowed to have 3, and that is PLENTY for my small-ish house and my even smaller patience level when it's chaotic!
lovemykidstoo 03:55 AM 12-03-2014
Originally Posted by AuntTami:
Believe me when I say, it can be done. But, we can't scrimp our budget any more than it already is, so we're not living in luxury by any means. I have 1 full time DCB right now, totaling $120 per week. That doesn't go far. But I still wouldn't go back to the job market!

Although if I had 6 kids at one time, I'd probably want to throw myself in front of a bus again. I'm legally without being licensed, allowed to have 3, and that is PLENTY for my small-ish house and my even smaller patience level when it's chaotic!
You're right, I should be careful what I wish for. I have 5 on Monday, 1 on Tuesday, 6 on Wednesday, 3 on Thursday and off on Fridays (for now, might go back to that). I told my husband how nice it would be to have 6 every day and then he reminded me of how I want to slit my wrists on Wednesdays when I have that many lol. 4 or 5 everyday would be good.
Leigh 06:59 AM 12-03-2014
While an out-of-the home job sounds attractive to me now and then, I just don't think I could do it again. Employers are becoming so difficult to work for-treating their employees like children, micromanaging, implementing attendance policies that pretty much guarantee that you'll be sick 12 months of the year (working next to sick people all the time who weren't allowed to stay home sick), and just basically insisting that you are available outside of work hours, too. My husband's company didn't take away sick time, but they do now insist that employees give 24 hour notice if they or their children are going to be sick! It didn't bother me so much when I was doing it, but I don't think I could ever go back to working for someone else.
melilley 10:40 AM 12-03-2014
I agree AuntTami, I think deep down you know what you want to do!

I sometimes think of getting a job outside of my home, but then again, my degree is in child development, I have been working in this field since 1998 (in centers then opened my in home last year), so I don't think I could do anything else...lol I could NEVER imagine me sitting at a desk all day.

As for the 6 every day, I often think the same way as you, but when I have days with all 6, I remember why I prefer to have some p/t kids!
lovemykidstoo 11:21 AM 12-03-2014
Yea, I called my friend today and told her not to mention my name. I thought along time about it and thought it's basically the same pay, maybe even a bit less, much more restricting, little vacation time. the thing that I liked was maybe better insurance and stability. Although, when can you say a job is stable. You never know anymore. She said that they are going to be expanding, so maybe the next time. i just don't think it's the right time right now.
momofboys 07:13 AM 12-04-2014
Yea, I called my friend today and told her not to mention my name. I thought along time about it and thought it's basically the same pay, maybe even a bit less, much more restricting, little vacation time. the thing that I liked was maybe better insurance and stability. Although, when can you say a job is stable. You never know anymore. She said that they are going to be expanding, so maybe the next time. i just don't think it's the right time right now.
Couldn't you negotiate the vacation time if they really want you? Also, wouldn't you get more vacation time with years put in? I think it would be rare for 2 weeks to be the most vacation time. My DH gets 5 (but he's been with his company 17 years). It's a hard decision!
Reply Up