Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Home Preschool And The Alphabet
Unregistered 10:59 AM 02-24-2015
One of my daycare moms was telling me at her daughter's kindergarten they only do upper case letters for their names. When I teach my kids I teach them to do capital and then the rest in lowercase. What do you do?
Annalee 11:09 AM 02-24-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
One of my daycare moms was telling me at her daughter's kindergarten they only do upper case letters for their names. When I teach my kids I teach them to do capital and then the rest in lowercase. What do you do?
^^^^I teach just like you do!
Unregistered 11:26 AM 02-24-2015
That's so interesting! When I took my dd to Kindergarten Assessment in the summer, they specifically checked to see if she wrote her name, using capital and lower-case letters, so I always teach it this way.
Blackcat31 12:25 PM 02-24-2015
The kindergarten teachers here get frustrated with kids who only know how to write their names with capital letters because they have to un-teach them and re-teach them.

I start with the focus on lowercase although we do talk about and add in the uppercase, we mainly focus on lower until they have a much firmer grasp on the letters and sounds.

I think it's easier to teach the "rules" of capitalization after they have mastered the lowercase ones first.
Unregistered 12:35 PM 02-24-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
The kindergarten teachers here get frustrated with kids who only know how to write their names with capital letters because they have to un-teach them and re-teach them.

I start with the focus on lowercase although we do talk about and add in the uppercase, we mainly focus on lower until they have a much firmer grasp on the letters and sounds.

I think it's easier to teach the "rules" of capitalization after they have mastered the lowercase ones first.
That is a great idea! It is so hard to teach that concept the 1st year of Preschool (3 years).
Shell 01:38 PM 02-24-2015
Ok, here goes my soap box. There are two sides of this argument, and there's evidence to support both. Here's my take on it:
As a former k teacher, I taught many students that were taught to write their names, upper case letter first, followed by lower (ex. Sophia). My issue with young kids learning it that way was that they had no foundation- they weren't forming letters properly, and had difficulty writing letters, both upper and lower.
I always do upper case first, and once those are mastered, I move on to lower case. Little hands are more able to write larger letters more easily.
To quote handwriting without tears, "by teaching capitals first, we have prepared children for nearly half of the lower case letters that are similar in formation".
Again, you can find quotes for both sides- this is just my preference.
Dh is going to K in the fall, and they want upper case followed by lower.
Blackcat31 03:12 PM 02-24-2015
Originally Posted by Shell:
Ok, here goes my soap box. There are two sides of this argument, and there's evidence to support both. Here's my take on it:
As a former k teacher, I taught many students that were taught to write their names, upper case letter first, followed by lower (ex. Sophia). My issue with young kids learning it that way was that they had no foundation- they weren't forming letters properly, and had difficulty writing letters, both upper and lower.
I always do upper case first, and once those are mastered, I move on to lower case. Little hands are more able to write larger letters more easily.
To quote handwriting without tears, "by teaching capitals first, we have prepared children for nearly half of the lower case letters that are similar in formation".
Again, you can find quotes for both sides- this is just my preference.
Dh is going to K in the fall, and they want upper case followed by lower.
This is so true and I've heard people say both things so I think it's best to contact your area schools and perhaps find out what the teachers there prefer.

We are the first step before Kindy so it is always a good thing to network with local teachers.
Unregistered 03:16 PM 02-24-2015
Schools here want capital initial letter followed by lower case.

We teach both plus the sound simultaneously, for letter & sound recognition.

But for writing, we do capitals first because so many letters are simpler and/or consist of straight lines.

The year before kindergarten, we introduce name-writing with capital initial & lower case for the remaining letters. We call it Writing Your Name the Kindergarten Way, and everyone wants to do that!
daycare 04:47 PM 02-24-2015
this is what I was taught.

Usually upper case letters are taught first for the purposes of writing. It is much easier to write lines than circles and curves. Most upper case letters consist of making lines.

However, upper case letter are only 5% of what we read. When you are reading, you only see upper case letters %5 of the time, therefore when teaching the children to read, they will see more lower case letters than upper case.

Children will learn letter sight and sounds way before they are able to write, there for it is best practice to teach lower case letters first, then when they master the lower case, move on to upper case. By this time most kids are ready for a pencil and at that time making upper case letters is taught first, then lower case.

On the continuum of complexity this was the way that it was written and how I was taught to teach letters for both reading and writing.
KSDC 06:50 PM 02-24-2015
Our school system uses the Handwriting Without Tears program in preschool. It emphasizes learning uppercase letters first, then lower case. They also learn the letters in the order that they are easiest to write, not alphabetically.

Now, I am not 100% sold on this being the "best" way to do this - but it is the way that our school district is teaching it. So, I use the same teaching strategies in my DC.

I agree with PP - check with the school(s) that your children will be going into when they leave your program. Align your curriculum with what they want their incoming students to be able to do.
Reply Up