Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Nanny Cam Privacy Issue
misspollywog 08:52 AM 10-25-2011
So I have nanny cams installed in my dc and am debating whether or not to give my dcp's access to the live feeds. It has the capability but to be honest, it would feel awkward knowing so many people could be tuning in since I can't control who they give access to. And what happens when they leave my dc? What if they give the log-in info to Uncle Chester and.... well, you get my point.

Maybe I'm just paranoid, but it would feel creepy not knowing who is tuning in or when. Would you or do you give dcp's access to live camera feeds? I figure if they NEED to see something in particular then I can bring up the saved file, right? I bought them more to protect me from allegations of abuse than anything.

Which leads to my next question....

This may sound stupid but this one kept me up last night worrying: I installed these in every area except the bathroom (for obvious reasons!) but then got to thinking... I change babies diapers while these cams are running!

It isn't as though you can see anything, really, but does this cross some sort of line? I can't find anything on state law re: security cams and infant diaper changing. Does anyone know if this is an issue???
MarinaVanessa 09:13 AM 10-25-2011
IMO if there wasn't a way to regulate who got to see the feeds (no login names or passwords that can be removed once they left) then I wouldn't give the live feed info out.

As for the baby changing scenario, as a parent I would not feel comfortable knowing that other parents can see my child being changed. If you could place the changing table on the opposite side of the room so that you can see that you are changing a child but not be able to actually see details then you can probably do it that way.

First thing first, decide whether or not you really want to allow parents access to the feed, then if you decide you do then I would talk to the parents individually and see what their take is. Odds are that if there even one parent that doesn't like the idea of other parents seeing their children then you may have an issue with it. All in all however I think that the parents will probably be open to the idea, the hard part is figuring out if you really want parents watching you whenever they want.

Be prepared to defend your time management.
Ariana 09:22 AM 10-25-2011
I personally would only have the live feeds that parents had access to be somewhere like the play area only. I definately wouldn't be live feeding a diaper change for all of the reasons you mentioned above. I also wouldn't even have a nanny cam but that's just me!

As a parent though I wouldn't feel comfortable having other parents being able to see my child while at daycare so for me a live feed nanny cam would be a deal breaker for me.
misspollywog 10:25 AM 10-25-2011
Thanks for the input.

These cams (which are not hidden, btw) actually have been deal makers, believe it or not, and many of the higher end dc's in our area offer them. They also offer a live feed which is the part I'm just not comfortable with at all. It is nice to know that if anyone falsely alleges anything I have video evidence to refute it and I think I'll leave it at that.

As for the diaper changing thing... I moved my changing area to be in a more "cam safe" place.
daycare 10:38 AM 10-25-2011
Originally Posted by misspollywog:
Thanks for the input.

These cams (which are not hidden, btw) actually have been deal makers, believe it or not, and many of the higher end dc's in our area offer them. They also offer a live feed which is the part I'm just not comfortable with at all. It is nice to know that if anyone falsely alleges anything I have video evidence to refute it and I think I'll leave it at that.

As for the diaper changing thing... I moved my changing area to be in a more "cam safe" place.
Not to make you feel bad, but the cams won't get you off the hook so easily with alleges of abuse.

Unless every last angle of your house is under video and there is not a spot in your house they you could go to NOT be in view of the camera, still does not 100% protect you.

I can speak of this frist hand when my cousins child was being abused at DC that had video cams..... But they didnt have them in the bathroom, so taht is where the abuse took place....

JUst and FYI
misspollywog 10:50 AM 10-25-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
Not to make you feel bad, but the cams won't get you off the hook so easily with alleges of abuse.

Unless every last angle of your house is under video and there is not a spot in your house they you could go to NOT be in view of the camera, still does not 100% protect you.

I can speak of this frist hand when my cousins child was being abused at DC that had video cams..... But they didnt have them in the bathroom, so taht is where the abuse took place....

JUst and FYI
I realize this, nothing is fool proof. But, it does deter people from making false accusations and this is actually part of our overall home surveillance system that covers the entire property 24/7.
permanentvacation 11:05 AM 10-25-2011
I would not allow the parents to view it live.
mismatchedsocks 11:11 AM 10-25-2011
I have cameras too, and would not allow parents to watch live. I have cameras outside and in the napping room. Its pretty much for my safety, and when they nap I can keep an eye on them, if other kids are up too. I dont want parents questioning my every move, not that I have anything to hide!
misspollywog 11:19 AM 10-25-2011
Originally Posted by lilrugrats:
...not that I have anything to hide!
I was reading on another site where a DCP said something to the effect of "if you have these cams it signals to the parents that you must have something to hide!" LOL WUT?

I find myself using them to watch the neighbor's dogs roam my yard and then think bad thoughts about my idiot neighbors who let their dogs roam my yard hehe.
mismatchedsocks 11:27 AM 10-25-2011
Thats backwards, but my parents love that I have them. i can keep an eye on who is at door, who pulls in my driveway or who is outside. They also liked when their kids were infants, sleeping in the other room, while we are doing preschool I can keep camera right next to my spot and have volume way up. We loved to hear the babies snore.
Heidi 01:34 PM 10-25-2011
I would not give anyone access.

I imagine this....little Billy goes over and knocks little Johnny over the head with a toy, then little Johnny lets him have it. Little Billy's mom logs on just in time to witness that. While you are trying to comfort both children and give them a better idea of how to spend their time, Billy's mama is calling you to ream you out for not keeping an eye on things. Then, at the end of the day, she either yells at Johnny (I've had it happen), or at Johnny's parents. Uhhh...no...

Then their is always the butt crack danger, or scratching your nose danger, uhhh....no...

The only reason I would have such a system is for my own sake. I would keep the recordings on file, just incase I was ever accused of hurting a child, or if a child did get hurt, I could show that I was indeed superivising, and I did not indeed, do anything to hurt the child.
daycare 02:38 PM 10-25-2011
I think that if I were you I would state somewhere in you PHB that the cams are for you, not for the parents.

I could see some parents asking for this if they can see the video cameras....
Michael 03:40 PM 10-25-2011
We had an article on cctv's: https://www.daycare.com/story/daycar...o_cameras.html

and some great threads on the subject: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=cctv
Sprouts 04:14 PM 10-25-2011
I am looking into this and would like any advice on brands and prices and stuff. One that i found was called "Drop Cam" maybe someone has that and can give me feedback? Another friend of mine has the one that ADT installs but thats super expensive....any ideas or advice?

And yes when my daughter was in daycare with the cams I was the annoying parent calling in
misspollywog 04:29 PM 10-25-2011
Originally Posted by Sprouts:
I am looking into this and would like any advice on brands and prices and stuff. One that i found was called "Drop Cam" maybe someone has that and can give me feedback? Another friend of mine has the one that ADT installs but thats super expensive....any ideas or advice?

And yes when my daughter was in daycare with the cams I was the annoying parent calling in
They can be spendy but there are some units for less than $1,000 at Radio Shack and Home Depot etc. that have a dvr and a few cams, then you can add more cams to it as needed (if you get one with enough channels).

Ours is the Q-See brand and they work really well (make sure you get wide-angled lens cameras!). Of course it isn't HD quality and there is no sound, but during the day it is a good, clear image and the night vision works better than I expected, really.

It was around $1500 or so to get everything we needed and the hubs did the installation so that saved us a bit.
Tags:cctv, video monitors
Reply Up