Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Book Club - Reviews / Suggestions>Non-Fiction Books For The Preschool Set
SilverSabre25 05:58 AM 11-08-2011
Maybe it's just a shortcoming of my library (large and amazing though it is) that I have a very, VERY hard time choosing nonfiction books for my group--the oldest will be 5 in January, then there's a new 4, a 3.5, and two 2.5's.

I want simple, straightforward non-fiction books on various topics, with simple, straightforward photographs. Most of what I find has waaaay too many words and complicated photos/pictures.

I'm beginning to think that there is a niche here for non-fiction books for preschoolers...am I right, or is it just me?
Blackcat31 07:44 AM 11-08-2011
I find most of my books for that age group using Scholastic. Firefly and Honeybee have some really good picture books on all sorts of subjects this month.
hoopinglady 08:02 AM 11-08-2011
I pick up old school elementary text books at thrift stores and they are very popular with the kiddos.

Re reading your post this isn't what you want.

I have some cool board books like this with photos of nature and animals too. Also very popular.
Crystal 08:34 AM 11-08-2011
Same a s blackcat here. Scholastic has AWESOME books that are simple and straight to the point for young children.

I also have found that many adult books, such as those from the Audubon society, world wildlife fed. etc. have great books with photos that, while they have a lot of words, are great to share with the children.

I have also been known to make my own, printing pics on line, adding a few words, mounting onto construction paper and laminating for specific studies we are on.
kendallina 10:29 AM 11-08-2011
That's a great tip about the scholastic books! I'll have to check into this...

I've been wondering this for a while now too...I agree with SabreSilver that the library's books are too complicated and definitely for older kids.

I also use adult field guides a lot and my library has those (my husband has a lot too). They have beautiful pictures.
SilverSabre25 11:47 AM 11-08-2011
Thanks! I will look at the Scholastic ones. I also might have to just start writing my own to get what I want, lol. If I want something done right...
sanderson 05:19 AM 11-22-2011
I agree the scholastic ones are great & as picturesque and colorful as children want. I bought some for my kids and they genuinely loved it, every day I narrate them one of the stories and witness their vast imagination power with all the innocent queries.
joy 03:55 PM 11-27-2011
Matisse the King of Color (Anholt's Artists Books for Children Series)
The Magical Garden of Claude Monet (Anholt's Artists Books for Children)
van Gogh and the Sunflowers (Anholt's Artists Books for Children)

Magic Tree House Fact Tracker #6: Space: A Nonfiction Companion to Magic Tree House #8: Midnight on the Moon

Rain Forests (Magic Tree House Research Guide)
Midnight on the Moon (Magic Tree House, No. 8)

Of Thee I Sing: A Letter to My Daughters by Barack Obama
We Are the Ship by Kadir Nelson
Giant Steps to Change the World Spike Lee

One Red Dot: A Pop-Up Book for Children of All Ages (Classic Collectible Pop-Up)
600 Black Spots: A Pop-up Book for Children of All Ages (Classic Collectible Pop-Up) by David A. Carter

Blue 2: A Pop-up Book for Children of All Ages by David A. Carter

National Geographic Little Kids First Big Book of Animals by Catherine D. Hughes
Hibernation (First Step Nonfiction) by Robin Nelson
National Geographic Little Kids First Big Book of Dinosaurs (National Geographic Little Kids First Big Books) by Catherine D. Hughes and Franco Tempesta
erinalexmom 04:59 PM 12-08-2011
Usborne book has some awsome picture books that are "nonfiction-ish" They might talk about a specific butterfly but they really tell the lifecycled of a butterfly. They are "the butterfly" "on a pirate ship" "in the pond",ect. They are excellent for this age group. You can even order the whole set for a discount
Tags:book choices, books - non-fiction
Reply Up