Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Immunizations
Country Kids 09:36 AM 09-17-2011
Does anyone have it in their contract/handbook that children are not allowed back to childcare within a certain amount of time after receiving a immunization, flu shot, etc. I'm thinking about adding it with this next newsletter but not sure on the wording I would use.

The last time I had a child come after a immunization was bad-fever, bad diapers, tired, etc. I sent home like two days in a row because of this. Wouldn't come with a fever but developed one later-was probably medicated at home. I really don't want to do this again so thought I'll just put it in my contract/handbook.
Blackcat31 02:03 PM 09-17-2011
I do. My contract reads: children must remain home for a minimum of 48 hours after receiving ANY immunizations. I go over my reasons with parents during interviews. I simply do not want the liability. Kinda sad it has to be that way but it is what it is.
Jenniferdawn 07:57 PM 09-17-2011
I'm in the process of writing my own handbook for parents and it will include this. "Immunizations must be given on Fridays after daycare." Then it guarantees they will be home for the first 60 hours after the shots given so the parents can take care of their fussiness and look for possible dangerous reactions.
jojosmommy 10:29 AM 09-18-2011
I don't have it written WHEN they have to get imms but I do have it clearly stated that I make no exceptions for "illness symptoms" even if I KNOW they just got shots. I clearly explain that I will send home regardless of if they just got shots if they are displaying any excludable symptoms. I encourage parents to get imms according to their work/time off schedule so that if they end up needing to be at home mom/dad has planned accordingly.

My son did have seizures after his 12 month shots and we now schedule our shots for when I know I wont have dck (like Fri afternoon) or when my husband is home so that IF something happens I don't have to close. I tell my parents this hoping they will take the hint.
Cat Herder 04:29 AM 09-19-2011
I do not have it in my policies that I exclude for immunizations, it would cause me to lose most of my clients.

I will not accept/retain a child in care with fever. Children must be fever free for 24 hours before return to care.

Here, many kids get their shots IN my daycare WHILE in my care. It is common for homecare to come out for "well checks" and immunizations "to minimize parental loss of time from work".

Insurance is paid for by employers, so I am sure this will be everywhere soon enough, not just outlying areas of large cities.

I do have some Portable Face Masks, Automated External Defibrillator, Pedi Epi-pens and a few Pediatric Bag Valve Masks in case of respiratory arrest, JIC. (along with LOT'S of training )
PitterPatter 05:45 AM 09-19-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I do. My contract reads: children must remain home for a minimum of 48 hours after receiving ANY immunizations. I go over my reasons with parents during interviews. I simply do not want the liability. Kinda sad it has to be that way but it is what it is.
I have never thought of this before. Could you give me more info please? When you say you don't want the liability what do you mean? So far in the 5 years I have been open I have never encountered a problem (knock wood) but after reading this I wonder should I be worried.
Cat Herder 06:14 AM 09-19-2011
Originally Posted by PitterPatter:
I have never thought of this before. Could you give me more info please? When you say you don't want the liability what do you mean? So far in the 5 years I have been open I have never encountered a problem (knock wood) but after reading this I wonder should I be worried.
There is a risk of severe allergic reaction and febrile seizure (from high fever) leading to repiratory arrest.

Now, IMHO, there is also the same risk from introducing a new food, cleaning supply, air freshener....

With kids there is always some risk.
SilverSabre25 06:59 AM 09-19-2011
I don't exclude...but I watch them like a hawk if I know they've had immunizations recently. Too many stories, too many anecdotes of problems after immunizations, possible SIDS link, possible autism link...scary stuff, to me. I know what the "official" stance is (They're perfectly safe, no risk, no links to SIDS/autism, no possibility of problems) but I don't care. This is something I've thought long and hard about, done a lot of research, and this is the conclusion I've come to.

Immunizations are a hot-button topic for me, for a lot of reasons.
Blackcat31 06:59 AM 09-19-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
There is a risk of severe allergic reaction and febrile seizure (from high fever) leading to repiratory arrest.

Now, IMHO, there is also the same risk from introducing a new food, cleaning supply, air freshener....

With kids there is always some risk.
What Cat said. ^^^ .....and alot of what Silver said. I feel VERY much the same way.

I have had 3 children in the last 5 years that have had seizures/severe reactions after receiving their immunizations.

She is also right about the risks associated with introducing new foods, cleaning supplies and etc but since I can't control everything, I choose to control the little things I can.

Imms are something that just make me a little nervous and with past experiences, I simply choose to have parents deal with the aftermath.
Meyou 08:13 AM 09-19-2011
I ask that they stay home the day they get any immunizations but I will take them the next day if there is no fever.

I prefer not to be the primary caregiver where vaccines are concerned. I don't vaccinate my own kids and I'm not comfortable watching for signs of reaction in other children.
GretasLittleFriends 06:49 PM 09-19-2011
I had a little boy (7) get picked up today to get his flu shot, and he will be going to school then to my house tomorrow afternoon. He is quite a spit-fire, I'm thinking tomorrow he may be more relaxed than normal.
Tags:contract, handbook, immunizations, sick policy
Reply Up