Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Serious Reservations With My Provider's Contract
MikeB 01:59 PM 12-04-2012
Hello, I found your site while searching for any laws/code related to in-home daycare for the State of Iowa. I have some serious reservations with my daycare’s contract, and am seeking information to verify if this is standard practice, or if I’m being “taken.” Any advice or help is greatly appreciated.

===============================

Termination
If the Parent/Guardian wishes to terminate care, the Parent/Guardian must provide
the Provider with a written two-week notice of same. If the Provider wishes to
terminate care, the Provider is not obligated to provide the Parent/Guardian with a
written two-week notice of same. If care is terminated by the Parent/Guardian
without the required two-week notice, the Parent/Guardian is not entitled to a refund
of any monies it is forfeited. If the Provider terminates care, at any time and for any
reason, the Parent/Guardian is not entitled to a refund of any monies it is forfeited.

Time Off
Just like any other job I will have time
off for holidays such as Christmas Eve, Christmas day, News Years Day, Fourth of July,
Thanksgiving and day after, Memorial Day, and Labor Day. Two week for vacation. One
week for sick and anything above and beyond will be unpaid

Health Guidelines.
(My biggest problem is this part.)
If for some reason my children or myself are ill I will contact you and you will
make the decision of either bringing your child or not. This is not time taken from me if
you choose not to come.
When they are in my care if there is a fever of 100.00 or higher the child must be
picked up due to health reasons and must be without a fever for 24 hours before
returning. If the child has had two runny diapers there will be a phone call after the third
the child will have to be picked up to prevent the spread of illness. You must wait 24
hours before returning. If the child is vomiting, wheezing, constant crying, body rash,
or anything that is abnormal for the child the parent will be called and the child will need
to be picked up. If the child is on antibiotic, it must be in original container with
written instructions on it and a release form should be signed at that time or it will
not be administered. Please if for some reason the child has something that is
contagious please let me know so that I can inform the other parents.
daycare 02:03 PM 12-04-2012
Fair or not, did you sign the contract???..

most of what I read, is quite normal, however, I do think that the DCP should have defined this part:

If for some reason my children or myself are ill I will contact you and you will
make the decision of either bringing your child or not. This is not time taken from me if
you choose not to come.

If the children are contagious or the provider, then she should be closing or should be finding alternate care for her children. I would never ask a parent to still bring their children to care if my child or I myself was contagious.
LaLa1923 02:04 PM 12-04-2012
Why do you have a problem with that section? I'm just asking what specific part....

Some providers do not charge (if they close) if they have to close due to their illness or illness of someone living in the house.

Some will inform parents that someone is sick and it is up to you, if you want to keep your child home.

It sounds like your provider is charging you for a "slot". You pay the same rate every week no matter what.---------this is my policy
daycare123 02:07 PM 12-04-2012
sounds normal to me
Heidi 02:10 PM 12-04-2012
It really depends on your provider. I get the holidays she list plus 3 paid days off per year to use for sick days, appointments that take a whole day, trainings, or just a day off. After that, parents do not pay me for those days.

If the chld is sick, I do ask that they stay home (can you imagine handling 7 healthy children and 1 sick, whiney 1?). Nevermind it lessens the likelihood of getting everyone else-including the provider-sick.

Because I cannot fill "the spot" on short notice, I do expect the parents to pay. Basically, my parents pay for a "slot". I have 8 openings (or fewer, if some are under 2), and each family buys one of those spots.

If you did sign a contract, you'll need to honor that. If you are unhappy with it, you can shop around. Take into account everything you are getting from your provider that is good, and also that change will be hard on your child. If you don't feel that your current provider is worth that, and you can get a better deal, then you have the right to go to someone else.

In my mind, she is not being unreasonable, unless she takes a lot of sick days that you are going to pay for.
MikeB 02:12 PM 12-04-2012
First problem. How is it anywhere fair that the parent must give a 2 week notice, but the daycare can cancel at anytime for any reason on a whim, and not refund the deposit?

2nd, and bigger issue: How can it possibly be legal for her to state she can remain open if she's sick, or HER KIDS are sick, and it's up to the parent to decide if to send the child. If the child stays home, then it doesn't count against HER sick days.

Doesn't this contradict the STRICT sickness guidelines for my child that she justifies by saying its to protect the children she watches?

Our child gets a runny diaper, and we have to pick him up. Her kid could be home with strep throat and it's perfectly fine to send our children into a sick household?
Lawson2 02:13 PM 12-04-2012
My son goes to daycare part time in Massachusetts and the contract we signed is very similar. We pay for 3 weeks vacation, 5 sick days (she has never used them), and we pay for the days she takes off for state required classes. We also pay for anytime we take off.
The illness policy is the same. Our provider has called a couple of times in the past 3 years to pick up our son if he was feeling off. We never send him if he is ill with the flu, fever, etc...
I think it is a pretty standard contract...
MikeB 02:14 PM 12-04-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
Fair or not, did you sign the contract???..

most of what I read, is quite normal, however, I do think that the DCP should have defined this part:

you choose not to come.

If the children are contagious or the provider, then she should be closing or should be finding alternate care for her children. I would never ask a parent to still bring their children to care if my child or I myself was contagious.

That's what my biggest problem is. If the daycare provider is sick, or her own children are home with a contagious disease, don't make the parents CHOOSE if to send their kids. Of course they won't.
wdmmom 02:15 PM 12-04-2012
Sounds pretty standard to me.
Unregistered 02:19 PM 12-04-2012
My problem is making the parents decide if to send their children into a household that is sick either by the daycare provider or one of her own kids. If you or your own children are home ill, shouldn't you just be closed?
daycare 02:31 PM 12-04-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
My problem is making the parents decide if to send their children into a household that is sick either by the daycare provider or one of her own kids. If you or your own children are home ill, shouldn't you just be closed?
well here is the thing. Each provider can decide what she/he wants to adopt as a rule for their business.

As Heidi stated, if the DCPs rules are not working for you, then you should consider looking into other care for your child.

For me, I would not ask someone to bring their children to me if I were contagious or my children were. I think it is along the lines of mutual respect. I won't ask you to do anything that I won't do myself. I would never tell a parent don't bring me your ill child, but I want you to bring your healthy child to my ill one.....KWIM?

However, it is up to each DCP to decide what she wants to do. If you signed it, then you are entitled to follow the rules.

It sounds like to me that you might want to consider looking for another provider who's policies suit what you are looking for.

I really do not see anything out of the ordinary that this provider has written that is good nor bad....
Heidi 02:36 PM 12-04-2012
Originally Posted by MikeB:
That's what my biggest problem is. If the daycare provider is sick, or her own children are home with a contagious disease, don't make the parents CHOOSE if to send their kids. Of course they won't.
I would agree to that. I'm pretty sure I used the same criteria to close when my kids were little that I imposed on the parents (and they did not have to pay beyond the 3 days per year).

Now that my children are schoolage (the youngest is 12), I would do what your provider does. Only because at their age, they can spend the day in their room or mine away from dc kids, so I'd worry less about them spreading it or needing extra care.
MNMum 02:42 PM 12-04-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Here's the thing. When trying to decide whether or not to close the daycare is a big decision, as it affects up to 10 families. I don't close when I have a child home sick from school who can stay separate from the dck. I also don't close unless I am really sick. Parents miss enough time staying home from their own children being sick, its hard to tell them they have to stay home because my children are sick.

Many parents would still chance it and send their kids...not everyone is as responsible as you are.
AnneCordelia 02:45 PM 12-04-2012
It sounds pretty standard to me.

I can work through a cold, and given that I am an adult and know to wash my hands after blowing my nose, most of my families choose to attend if I have one. Obviously if I have the flu or diarrhea I will close, and use one of my sick days.

When my own children are sick I stay open. My children stay out of my daycare space and have no contact with the daycare children.

Vacation policy is pretty standard.

Termination policy is also standard. I offer two week's notice as a courtesy to good clients. Otherwise my policy is thus: "Any abuse or violation of the rules/policies of this contract/handbook may be just cause for immediate termination. The provider reserves the right to terminate care immediately in situations where continuing care could be detrimental to other children, the business, or the provider and her family. In the event of immediate termination all fees paid are forfeit." Pretty much means I can terminate immediately for just about any reason, and it protects myself, my own family, and the other daycare children I care for.
youretooloud 02:51 PM 12-04-2012
I think it all sounds normal too. I never, ever, ever close for illness. I can be too sick to make lunch for the kids, but I don't close. There is no way we can close for every illness we or our kids have. It wouldn't be fair to the parents. Most of the time, I don't even call the parents to tell them. If I know i'm contagious, and I know I didn't catch it from the kids, I MIGHT close. But, I doubt it.

Yet, I don't want someone else's child in my home when that child is sick. (I take them with normal illnesses, but miserable, vomiting, or diarrhea, nope)

We love these daycare kids...really we do. But we aren't going to spend a full day rocking a sick miserable child. It's not even really possible to rock our own sick child during daycare...so, if your child is sick, you are expected to keep them home and do all those mommy/daddy things for them. We honestly just can't do it.

Yet, we are willing to work when we are sick so you don't have to take time off. So, I think having "a problem" with it is at the very least overreacting. It's not like we are out to make your life harder...we make our own lives harder to make yours easier.

Do you know when we go to the doctor for ourselves? Almost never. We can't take an hour off work, or go on a long lunch hour to go to the doctor. Our kids miss well checks, our kids miss routine dental appointments...but, the daycare parents don't notice that. Not that mine don't appreciate everything. (I have awesome parents) But, they don't notice, because it's not their problem.

The next time you take some extra time to get your teeth cleaned, imagine how hard it is to find a dentist that works after hours so your provider can always be working for her clients.

The next time you set up a well child visit for your kids, imagine when we find time to do that for our own kids.
itlw8 02:53 PM 12-04-2012
First problem. How is it anywhere fair that the parent must give a 2 week notice, but the daycare can cancel at anytime for any reason on a whim, and not refund the deposit?

2nd, and bigger issue: How can it possibly be legal for her to state she can remain open if she's sick, or HER KIDS are sick, and it's up to the parent to decide if to send the child. If the child stays home, then it doesn't count against HER sick days.

Doesn't this contradict the STRICT sickness guidelines for my child that she justifies by saying its to protect the children she watches?

Our child gets a runny diaper, and we have to pick him up. Her kid could be home with strep throat and it's perfectly fine to send our children into a sick household?
It is pretty standard.

Why can she terminate without notice ? well if a parent does not pay their bill should she provide 2 more weeks of free childcare. If a parent does something to put all the children at risk do you want them around your child for 2 weeks. What if their child causes severe injuries to your child should she keep the child for 2 more weeks ?

The strick illness policy is usually a state regulation most of us just quote what the state says and do not add more. The regulation does not apply to the family. normally the sick child can be isolated in their bedroom as much as possible.
daycarediva 02:58 PM 12-04-2012
I think the contract is pretty standard. I have a clause in my termination policy that allows me to terminate immediately (with a refund) for specified behavior by parent or child.

If my kids are sick, and I decide to stay open, I have someone come watch them, separate them from the group as much as possible, etc. I have four children, if I were to close everytime one was ill, it would be a significant hardship on my families. I do notify parents that X has X symptoms and then allow them to make that decision to send or not send in their child. I have one parent who DOES keep her child home when this happens. She works from home, so it isn't a giant inconvenience to her and her ds has asthma so she would rather he not be around anyone ill.

That being said, the MAIN reason (in my opinion) for excluding for your child's illnesses is because it is impossible to provide a sick child the level of care they need and keep 6+ other kids on their regular schedule. It really isn't fair to your child to have to keep up when all they REALLY need is home Mom or Dad and rest. Honestly, they most likely already 'contaminated' the daycare space with their germs prior to symptoms starting. For me, it is more of a comfort measure for the child, and the hardship it would cause me/other kids to keep a sick child. I do know some providers who take sick children, but it goes both ways. As you said, you don't want your child exposed to who knows what, and other parents don't want their children exposed to whatever your child may have.

The paid time off is also standard. I take 5 sick and 5 vacation days paid and allot for 5 (unpaid) days for training or emergencies. If I don't use all of my sick time (I never have, I had to close once this past year) then I tack the days on to a vacation with notice to parents per contract.
sharlan 03:00 PM 12-04-2012
It's really quite simple, if you are uncomfortable with the contract, do not sign it. Look for another provider who's contract you are comfortable.

As you can see, she has a pretty standard contract.
youretooloud 03:00 PM 12-04-2012
Originally Posted by itlw8:
Why can she terminate without notice ? well if a parent does not pay their bill should she provide 2 more weeks of free childcare. If a parent does something to put all the children at risk do you want them around your child for 2 weeks. What if their child causes severe injuries to your child should she keep the child for 2 more weeks ?

No provider is just going to terminate the contract immediately without a really good reason. I have one man who is THISCLOSE to being kicked out ASAP. I keep warning him, but he's not listening.

If I had a child who was a danger to himself or anybody else, I'd have to terminate on the spot. What if Sweet wonderful Riley was biting little Karen all day long? What if in one day, I had to send little Karen home with four bite marks on her body? Wouldn't Karen's parents want Riley to leave daycare? I could possibly lose more income by keeping Riley than I would by letting him go.

I had one Daycare Mom (she was also a neighbor) openly threaten another Daycare mom (a teacher at the school). She made the threat in front of myself and another mom/teacher, plus my own mom was there. So, I termed her on the spot. Her son was removed on the spot from that teacher's class. So, this poor kid lost his daycare, and his teacher in one afternoon of his mom's bad judgement. I did not refund a penny to this mom/neighbor. She made my life there a living HE** for another six months before they decided to move.
inshakhan 04:10 PM 12-04-2012
Regarding the termination portion - a two-week notice is standard, and not getting a refund without a 2-week notice is standard. However, I don't think it's right that the provider is reserving the right to terminate without any notice AND without refunding. She needs to specify that she would terminate without any notice only in certain situations, such as abuse of her rules by the parent or child (and then it's usually not really without notice because the parent has usually been warned at least once that there is a problem and that it's a problem that will result in termination if not resolved). When a provider does have to terminate without notice due to abuse of her policies or whatever, her policy may or may not provide for a refund. Personally, I do refund unused childcare if I terminate - I just feel it's the fair thing to do. If the parent terminates without notice, I do not refund.

Regarding the paid time off - she has provided quite a bit of time off for herself, but it's not unheard of. I know of a lot of experienced providers who have this much time off in their contracts. I only have 6 holidays and 1 week vacation myself

Regarding the illness policy - I know exactly where she's coming from. I had to put this in my contract as well because I had a misunderstanding with a couple of parents when my daughter had the flu. They wanted to keep their child home but they didn't want to pay. In my opinion, since I was able to keep my daughter isolated, I felt it was their choice to keep their child home so I did not feel I owed them a rate discount. So - that's the dilemma. It's not that I feel my children don't have to follow the same illness guidelines as the daycare children. I do, in fact - they must be isolated - which is "not attending daycare".

But when it comes to MYSELF being ill, that's a different story. I can't remember ever having anything myself that I had to close for. As another poster said, I'm an adult, so most things I could be ill with, I can simply practice proper hygiene to prevent spreading it - washing hands, covering my coughs & sneezes, etc. But if I DID have something that could not be prevented spreading, though, I would not stay open - that would not be ethical. I know we're concerned with being dependable for our working parents, but the children's health is more important than that.
familyschoolcare 04:34 PM 12-04-2012
Both of those things are standard atleast in concept. The first on I word a little differently my contract says that parents must provide a two week notice and that I have the right to terminate care with out notice if I feel that it is for the safety of one or more people in the daycare myself, my family and /or your child. Please see handbook for an incomplete list of example so. The second on needs to be more clearly defined as others have said.
Unregistered 04:41 PM 12-04-2012
You never know, maybe their child has the same thing or the parent cannot afford any more absent days- she is just giving them the option- it may not work for you but some parents may still do this because they have no other options. Why argue if she is willing to stay open so you don't have to miss work? She is not saying that you have to bring your kid. Only a few years ago (before the vaxine) parents would take their kids to daycare to get chickenpox if one child had it so that they cannot get it when they are older where there would be more complications (though people can get it twice and it makes you suseptable to shingles later).

I would ask her more of what are her policies are for when her child is sick- such as is s/he in their own room with no other children allowed and it is cleaned before the children can play their again? or how does she try to make sure that she doesn't infect other children if she just has a cold? does she wear a sergical mask and wash her hands more frequently or avoid close contact with children during illness? If it is a minor respritory or air-borne illness like a cold she can most likely reduce spread by wearing a sergical/painter mask and washing hands, but if it something like hand-foot-mouth, pink eye, or pneumonia then Yea I say don't take your kid to her that day.
daycaremom76 05:46 PM 12-04-2012

LOL all of the above stood out strange to me as well and I completely agree with all your concerns. However like everyone else has said, if you don't agree to the contract then you should find another provider (which I would) I know here in MD there isn't a law that outlines what I put in my contracts. However I like to keep my kids, and I try not to give my parents a hard time so my contract is pretty even for both of us.
Scout 06:21 PM 12-04-2012

But, that is just it. Your child is being cared for in her home! Her sick child will be at home. You make the choice to bring your child to a home provider vs. a center. If you were at a center you wouldn't have to worry about her sick child not being there. Kids get sick. Sometimes there is nothing we can do to prevent it. And as far as I know most contagious illnesses are contagious before symptoms even appear. So, by the time your child goes to her home with her sick child, chances are your child has already been exposed. Good luck with your decision.
littlemissmuffet 06:51 PM 12-04-2012
I have all the same policies in my handbook/contracts and they are all made very clear during the interview. If a parent showed concern and didn't feel comfortable I wouldn't allow them to sign on, knowing there would be issues down the road... I think you should look for a different providers who's policies you ARE comfortable with - but be warned, her policies are standard.
MarinaVanessa 07:25 PM 12-04-2012
The policies are pretty standard. In reality the childcare provider can make up her policies as she wishes and parents choose to sign up or not. My contract pretty much says the same thing (just worded differently).

I'm only going to comment about the illness policy since that seems to be the OP's main concern. My contract is the same way as in the quoted contract (different wording). If I am sick and still able to physically work I will notify my clients and then it is up to them to decide whether or not they want to bring their kids. If I close, they don't pay ... If they choose not to bring their child and I am open then they pay. If one of my own kids is sick, the same applies however my sick kids are taken care of by my husband or other family and they don't come in contact with the DC kids. I think the difference between me being sick and another child being sick is that I can use propper hand washing procedures and I know to minimize the chance of infection ... children have not yet mastered this skill. And if however one or more of the DC kids still get sick because of me and they show symptoms for exclusion then must stay home the symptoms subside... my clients are all aware of this and they all agreed to this, I have never had any problems.

It may not seem fair but in my situation the reality was that not one of my clients has ever complained about the way I do this ... they've actually thanked me. Less days that I close means less days that they have to stay home from work. I can't remember a day when I stayed open when I was sick and a parent chose to keep their child home ... they have all brought their child to daycare anyway and not once has any of the children gotten sick because of me (but I was extra cautious).

I don't know about other states but in CA I have only heard of recommended symptoms for exclusion for children but not for the provider. So in essence since the childcare provider isn't mentioned in regs then a provider isn't doing anything against regs if she works and stays open while being sick.
cheerfuldom 07:45 PM 12-04-2012
I think her contract is very standard and the policies are similar to my own. Do you know if she is a licensed daycare? If she is, you can double check to make sure if her policies match with state guidelines although I would imagine that they do. If she is unlicensed, she is not required to follow state guidelines and is free to do any policy she wants. Anyway, I understand your frustration but everything you are seeing is quite common for home daycares, some of it is common for centers too.
e.j. 08:56 PM 12-04-2012
As a parent bringing my child to day care, I had the same concerns then that you do now. Funny, once I became a child care provider I gained a whole new perspective and respect for the women who cared for my son and their policies!

Termination: I don't think you're being "taken" on this but I do think if she expects you to give a 2 week notice, she should extend the same courtesy to you. Chances are, she's thinking from a provider's perspective and not a parent's. She's probably only trying to protect herself and her business in the event that a parent fails to pay tuition, a child has severe behavorial issues, a parent or child damages property, threatens her, etc. She may have no intention of terming without notice but you should be protected, too. According to her contract, she could drop you without notice for a client who is willing to pay more or for a relative who needs care, etc. Just as she needs enough notice to fill an opening, you need enough notice to find alternative child care. She may not have thought about it from your perspective as a parent. Have you discussed this with her? Would she be willing to agree to giving a 2 week notice? If this policy is a deal breaker for you and she wants your business, she may be willing to agree to a 2 week notice. Never hurts to ask.

Time Off: My guess is most providers take paid holidays. How many is up to them. The number of holidays she takes doesn't seem unreasonable given that she is taking only major holidays that many (most?) people get paid time off for. Her vacation/sick time also seems standard. I don't take either paid but many providers do so it doesn't seem to me as though you're being "taken" on this policy either. If you know you'll resent paying for this time off, however, you may want to just keep looking and try to find someone who doesn't charge for time off.

Health Guidelines: You may want to ask her to clarify her Health Guidelines policy. Ask where she draws the line between "sick and open" and "too sick to open". Personally, I would close if I had something like Strep, stomach bug, flu or high fever but would stay open during minor illnesses as long as I could function well enough to properly care for the kids. For the most part, if I'm sick, I caught it from the kids in my care so the parents aren't usually too concerned about their kids catching anything from me.

When my kids were young, I used to call parents to let them know when they were sick. Most parents were more concerned about missing a day of work than the possibility of their child coming down with the illness. They just figured the kids had probably already been exposed and they'd take their chances. After awhile, I developed a policy similar to your dc provider's policy where I would call to warn them and allow them to make the decision to come or stay home. I can't remember a time when a parent chose to stay home.

It's not fun to care for 1 kid when you're sick, nevermind a house full of them. My guess is, this provider is not trying to pull one over on you. She's trying to be as reliable as possible for her dc parents and she's trying to protect her income in order to remain in business so she can be there for the families who rely on her every day so they can bring in an income, too. Good luck with your decision.
Unregistered 09:16 PM 12-04-2012

Personally, I don't charge for a day if myself or kids are sick. But, you're off when you say of course parents won't send their kids. More than once I have had parents bring their child when I email saying my child has a fever. Some parents don't care if they are bringing their child into a sick home.
SunshineMama 06:01 AM 12-05-2012
I see nothing wrong with your provider's contract. it is very similar to my own, in fact.

1. Parents must provide 2 weeks notice for termination. That is to protect my income. I can't have people just quit whenever if they find someone cheaper than me, etc. But I can terminate immediately. I reserve that right. If your child comes to my home and punches my child in the face, purposely destroys my property, you don't pay on time, you are always late or rude, you bring the bubonic plague into my home... I want the ability to terminate you on the spot. Will I do it? Probably not without warning. I never have terminated anyone without a 2 weeks notice, but I want to be contractually protected in the even that something awful happens and i have to.

2. Time off: I take all federal holidays paid, and two weeks of unpaid. I need a source of income too, while having a mental health break now and then. I don't take paid sick time (yet- I am adding 2 days to my contract, because I had to close UNPAID because some disrespectful parents brought their sick contageous kid to my house, getting me sick).

3. Because I take unpaid sick days, I dont close every time my kid is sick. I leave it up to the parents. I cannot afford to close my business unpaid every time my own child is sick. I will let you know, as a courtesy to you, the symptoms of my child. - You would be very surprised how many parents still eagerly bring their children. However, I am able to separate my own kids from your kids in my house, and keep my kids away, reducing the chance of illness to your child. There are things I can do with my own kids that I can't do with yours, so I leave the choice to you. Now, if my own child was ill with something extremely dangerous I would close- and then I am sure some would have a problem with that too. You cant please everyone.

I dont think the contract sounds outlandish at all. It sounds honest. Most contracts are written to protect the provider because of experiences that we have had that force us to constantly modify them. my contract has grown a page each year because some parent cant have the common decency to show common respect. And, like the others said, the bottom line is, if you don't like it, then choose another provider. But I would caution you against using someone who doesn't have a solid contract and policies in place.
countrymom 06:13 AM 12-05-2012
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
I think it all sounds normal too. I never, ever, ever close for illness. I can be too sick to make lunch for the kids, but I don't close. There is no way we can close for every illness we or our kids have. It wouldn't be fair to the parents. Most of the time, I don't even call the parents to tell them. If I know i'm contagious, and I know I didn't catch it from the kids, I MIGHT close. But, I doubt it.

Yet, I don't want someone else's child in my home when that child is sick. (I take them with normal illnesses, but miserable, vomiting, or diarrhea, nope)

We love these daycare kids...really we do. But we aren't going to spend a full day rocking a sick miserable child. It's not even really possible to rock our own sick child during daycare...so, if your child is sick, you are expected to keep them home and do all those mommy/daddy things for them. We honestly just can't do it.

Yet, we are willing to work when we are sick so you don't have to take time off. So, I think having "a problem" with it is at the very least overreacting. It's not like we are out to make your life harder...we make our own lives harder to make yours easier.

Do you know when we go to the doctor for ourselves? Almost never. We can't take an hour off work, or go on a long lunch hour to go to the doctor. Our kids miss well checks, our kids miss routine dental appointments...but, the daycare parents don't notice that. Not that mine don't appreciate everything. (I have awesome parents) But, they don't notice, because it's not their problem.

The next time you take some extra time to get your teeth cleaned, imagine how hard it is to find a dentist that works after hours so your provider can always be working for her clients.

The next time you set up a well child visit for your kids, imagine when we find time to do that for our own kids.

I want to add that "do you really think your sick kid is going to want me all day" NO, they want to be home with you in their own home. ALSO YOU ARE MISSING THE MOST IMPORTANT THING, IF YOUR CHILD IS SICK AND INFECTS ALL THE OTHER KIDS THEN "I" WILL LOSE INCOME, so I can lose several hundreds of dollars for the week because you were to ignorant to take care of your child at home. Really, its called respect.
crazydaycarelady 07:19 AM 12-05-2012
I agree that her contract is pretty standard, she just doesn't have it worded well or explain it very well.
tenderhearts 07:34 AM 12-05-2012
I also think it's pretty standard, but in MY contract, I have to give someone a 2 week notice just like they do me, but there are a few things I can do immediate termination for such as behind in payments .
I also will give my daycare parents the option to bring their child or not if one of my kids is sick, unless of course it was chicken pox but my kids were secluded from the others if someone decided to bring their child. IF they chose not to bring their child they were NOT charged, if I did close they were NOT charged as I do not get paid any days I am sick.
Back when my son was 3, he got strep throat about every 4 - 6 weeks through kindergarten, my parents had the choice to bring their child or not and all did ( I had about 6 families) knowing they were taking a risk, I know this is not always the case but NO ONE ever got it in all those years, not even any of us his family memebers. But my parents knew the risk but all had jobs so that was their choice.
JenNJ 09:12 AM 12-05-2012
I can see how it is off putting, but if I am sick, I can cover my coughs/sneezes and use a tissue. I don't put toys in my mouth and hand them to the person next to me. I don't slobber on my friends and I don't use the carpet to wipe snot off my face. I wash my hand and clean surfaces that may be infected. A sick child cannot do this. So that is why I am open when I am sick. Unless I cannot physically get out of bed, I stay open for my clients.

When my kids are sick, my husband or a family member can help out. But my kids are at the age where a day in bed is reasonable while I check in once and a while. I give parents the same option -- come or don't, but I am open. They ALWAYS come.

When a daycare child is ill, I cannot separate them (against the law) so the spread of germs is inevitable. I must exclude from care in order to do what is best for the group.

But I do agree with you on the termination policy. I think if a provider terminates immediately, all excess/prepaid funds should be refunded unless there was damages.
renodeb 03:55 PM 12-05-2012
To be honest I dont like the way she worded the part about the parent taking a chance on still bringing there child if the provider is sick. If she is contagious then she should close, I have remained open plenty of times while my own kids were sick but they are old enough to handle it and stay away from the dc kids. Other than that it sounds pretty normal. Did you sign it yet?
Debbie
Tags:contract
Reply Up