Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Amending Contract Regarding Cloth Diapers
PolkaTots 05:33 AM 01-12-2013
I have my first cloth diapering family starting soon. In 5 years, all of my other families have used disposables, so I've never had to include anything regarding cloth diapering in my contract. I have never even interviewed a family who cloth diapered before until this year, and it seems to be trending here, as I've already received 4 calls from cloth diapering families. Anyway...what do you have in your contract regarding cloth diapering?
Blackcat31 06:24 AM 01-12-2013
I don't have anything in my contract that gives rules or specifics about cloth diapers. I do tell parents when they mention they use cloth diapers that I prefer the all in ones and I make sure they know that I don't shake, scrap or rid the diaper of anything. The diaper goes straight from baby to wet bag.

In all my years of doing child care, I have only had a couple cloth diapered kids.
SilverSabre25 07:01 AM 01-12-2013
I just mention that I accept cloth diapers and that I require parents to keep at least 5 disposables here for emergencies and send one days supply of diapers each day with a wet bag for the dirties and that I send the dirties home each day. That's about it. Verbally I usually mention that I like for them to use liners of some sort for poo purposes ( I LOVE flushable liners but use fleece ones myself) and that I will dump what solid matter I can but it's not a guarantee.
LoraJenkins 07:04 AM 01-12-2013
I don't have anything in my contract about cloth diapers either but need to change that. I have a 1 yr DCB in cloth now and I use the system the parents use at home. Prefolds with snappis and a cover during up times, pockets at nap. I used cloth on my children so it is no biggie for me. I do wash the diapers here. I also use flushable liners. I actually prefer cloth over disposable. The disposables stink to me...lol...and the babies get less rashes and tend to PT earlier.

The parents sent 3 dozen prefolds, 2 pockets and 5 covers plus the detergent that stays here. Its just easier for me & them than lugging poo diapers back & forth.
MNMum 08:19 AM 01-12-2013
Originally Posted by LoraJenkins:
I don't have anything in my contract about cloth diapers either but need to change that. I have a 1 yr DCB in cloth now and I use the system the parents use at home. Prefolds with snappis and a cover during up times, pockets at nap. I used cloth on my children so it is no biggie for me. I do wash the diapers here. I also use flushable liners. I actually prefer cloth over disposable. The disposables stink to me...lol...and the babies get less rashes and tend to PT earlier.

The parents sent 3 dozen prefolds, 2 pockets and 5 covers plus the detergent that stays here. Its just easier for me & them than lugging poo diapers back & forth.
Wow, you wash the diapers for them?! Do you charge extra for that service? My state won't allow us to wash diapers. They must be sent home daily.
LoraJenkins 08:57 AM 01-12-2013
I don't.charge extra for it...they pay the highest rate I have already and are such great clients. I haven't had an issue when inspected due to washing the diapers. The diapers are stored out of the daycare area and I do not wash them during hours the DCKs are here. It would be no different if I had my own little one in cloth so....its nor an issue. I do it because the though of transporting soiled diapers really grossest me out....loll.
momofboys 11:00 AM 01-12-2013
I have a hard enough time getting my own family's clothes washed - no way am I washing someone else's diapers. For me that would be way too much time spent and although my washer is newer no way would I would want to wash our own clothes with diapers. You are a saint
Meyou 02:25 AM 01-13-2013
I require a full day`s diapers and wipes with a clean wet bag each morning. I send everything home at the end of the day to be replenished. I also require a small supply of disposables kept here just in case. All diapering supplies must be kept in a small bag separate from anything else coming in. It`s just for diapering.

I will only use all-in-one`s that are ready to go. So mom and dad do the stuffing and folding. I have used both flannel and disposable liners and I don`t mind either one.

I dump loose feces in the toilet but other than that I just put them in the wet bag and warn mom and dad if there is a poopy one in the bag.
wdmmom 03:29 PM 01-13-2013
$15 per week more for cloth and they must be the cloth diapers that go on and off just like a disposable. I don't do cleaning, dumping or folding.
Blackcat31 04:14 PM 01-13-2013
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
$15 per week more for cloth and they must be the cloth diapers that go on and off just like a disposable. I don't do cleaning, dumping or folding.
Curious as to why you would charge more for cloth diapers.

Especially if the parents are required to supply diapers that go on and off just like a disposable. There is no more time or effort on your part whether the diaper is cloth or a disposable.

I prefer that parents cloth diaper especially with the ones that go on and off just like a disposable but sending them home to be laundered saves me on having to dispose of them, therefore reducing my garbage expense.

It's a win-lose situation but I win by saving and they lose by basically taking their child's poo home every night.

It just doesn't make sense to charge them for something you benefit from.
Abigail 05:21 PM 01-13-2013
The contract is only for time and money. I have a section in my handbook under the potty training section. I mention I am cloth diaper friendly. I will use whatever the parents use but everyone so far out of 4 cloth diapered kids used bumgenuis one size pockets and that is actually what I am going to use my first child due any week now!

I require the parents to bring a wet bag as I send home all soiled diapers daily. We're not suppose to dump diapers, but I will do my best to dump the soiled diapers anyways. I do not scrap or put extra effort into it or wipe it off or swish it in the toilet, just flip over and shake some. It's not a big deal. They bring enough diapers for the day and they also need to keep just a few single use ones and I let them know if we are running low.
MarinaVanessa 08:35 PM 01-13-2013
I don't charge extra for cloth diapering either but because I only allow pocket diapers and they're just as easy to use as the disposable ones. I also do not scrape, shake or rinse the diapers out however if they supply the disposable liners (flushable) then I will remove the liner and flush it. The diaper goes straight into a wet bag and the dirty diapers get sent home, same as soiled clothes.

Here's what I have in my policy Handbook:

Cloth Diapers
The daycare also provides cloth diapering services. All cloth diapering supplies must be provided by the client. Only pocket diapers can be used and a wet bag large enough for the day’s soiled diapers must be provided daily. It is recommended that the daycare be provided with back-up disposable diapers just in case we run out of cloth diapers.
Because of health & safety licensing regulations, soiled cloth diapers cannot be rinsed or washed at daycare. We recommend the use of flushable liners for the cloth diapers so that the liner can catch most of the excrement. We will remove the liner and flush it and the soiled diapers will be placed in the wet bag and returned to the client daily.

Tags:cloth diapers, contract
Reply Up