Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Odd Situation
Ariana 12:39 PM 09-08-2015
I just enrolled a new child part-time. I gave the mom the transition schedule weeks ago. She was supposed to do transition last week but she was sick and missed the entre week. I emailed mom telling her we will just switch transition to this week instead. Got a confirmation email back. All is well.

Last night I check my email and get a very erratic and odd message from mom saying that we can do transition on Tuesday and she will bring her for full days the rest of the week. Basically goes on to tell me how everything is going to go. She completely changed the schedule and hours without even consulting me! I am assuming she is having issues getting someone to take care of the child during transition but she never once mentioned this. I email her back outlining that transition will be taking place at such and such a time and date. I referenced emails I had already sent her. She emails me this morning saying "ok I will see if I can find care to cover transition time".

I am a bit shocked! It's like talking to someone who didn't even read my e-mails or someone with a split personality. I am really having reservations about signing on with this family now. The amount of miscommunication right now is crazy. I wish I could copy and paste the emails!

I am really thinking of terming before she even begins because it is such a headache after the fact and after contracts are signed and deposits are paid. Any advice on how I can do that professionally?
Willow 12:44 PM 09-08-2015
Did you make it clear that participation in your transition period is mandatory before her regularly scheduled part time care can begin?

Maybe she's just confused.
Ariana 12:45 PM 09-08-2015
Yes! It is in my contract and we also discussed it through e-mail.
Willow 01:11 PM 09-08-2015
I'd just point blank ask her if she's having some kind of dilemma with the transition period....."Hey, just dropping a line. Wondering if we've hit some kind of a snag with the transition period we discussed? I think it's important because ____, which is why it's mandatory before your regular part time care can begin. If you have any questions feel free to shoot them my way, otherwise please let me know by ____ when you'd like to reschedule that first transition day. Thanks!"

Has she given you any kind of deposit? Or are you just holding the part time spot indefinitely while she pulls these delays?
Ariana 02:00 PM 09-08-2015
The deposit is due when she signs the contract which she hasn't done yet. I haven't given her all the paperwork yet. I usually wait until the first day to get them to fill out paperwork and give me the deposit. I prefer part-timers and they are hard to come by so holding her spot is not a big deal for me.

I did write her and basically said what you said. She is currently trying to work it out. She just texted me about moving around the transition hours on the first day which I am ok doing because it won't really impact anything on my end. I am just a little miffed about her attitude and not consulting me on any of this. I will say that she is being a bit more polite to me now.

Would you give her another chance? I am getting a real bad vibe about this one
nanglgrl 02:05 PM 09-08-2015
I would probably give her another chance because you showed her that you make the rules. She tried to be the boss, a lot of parents do, but I've found the majority won't keep it up after you put your foot down. However, if there are other things in the emails that send the red flags up then I would definitely consider not taking on this family.
Unregistered 02:07 PM 09-08-2015
Originally Posted by Ariana:
The deposit is due when she signs the contract which she hasn't done yet. I haven't given her all the paperwork yet. I usually wait until the first day to get them to fill out paperwork and give me the deposit. I prefer part-timers and they are hard to come by so holding her spot is not a big deal for me.

I did write her and basically said what you said. She is currently trying to work it out. She just texted me about moving around the transition hours on the first day which I am ok doing because it won't really impact anything on my end. I am just a little miffed about her attitude and not consulting me on any of this. I will say that she is being a bit more polite to me now.

Would you give her another chance? I am getting a real bad vibe about this one
Call me jaded but I've learned my instincts are there for a reason.

I've had many good families go bad without an inkling of anything about to go wrong and I've had many good families continue being good families but I've never had a "difficult" family suddenly become good. kwim?

I'd listen to your instincts.
Josiegirl 02:16 PM 09-08-2015
I'd probably give her the benefit of the doubt. She was sick last week so missed the transition day and is probably all confused, maybe rushing to find last minute arrangements.
Is your transition time the same as a trial period? You can always try it then go from there. Yes, it might be a pain but you also might be missing out on a good family that's just having a rough start 'transitioning'.
Laurel 02:21 PM 09-08-2015
I'd talk to her on the phone. Things get confused in writing sometimes.

Laurel
Ariana 04:35 PM 09-08-2015
Thanks everyone! Like you all I go back and forth thinking everything you are thinking. This will be the 3rd child I have tried to add to my daycare so I am really hoping this works out. I am definitely going against my instincts but I have a 6 week trial period so can terminate her at any time.

Now that she knows who is boss I am hoping things go a bit better. I got a few red flags during the second interview as well so this isn't the first time I have gotten a weird vibe from her.

Why are parents so hard to deal with?!!
Ariana 05:16 PM 09-08-2015
Originally Posted by Laurel:
I'd talk to her on the phone. Things get confused in writing sometimes.

Laurel
I find the opposite! If I don't have it written down or if it's not in an email I can refer to, I get very confused and it makes it easier for a "he said, she said" type of thing to start happening. That's just me though!
laundrymom 06:32 AM 09-09-2015
I've never used a transition schedule. So I'm wondering if you could just modify it due to the situation. I have always had a start date.
Thriftylady 09:43 AM 09-09-2015
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I've never used a transition schedule. So I'm wondering if you could just modify it due to the situation. I have always had a start date.
I have never had one either. Both of the kids I ever had that had issues, it woudn't have helped them
Ariana 11:24 AM 09-09-2015
In this particular situation the child is half days so comes for lunch then right to nap then picked up at 4:30pm. I wanted her to come and visit/transition for a few days while she is awake so she is not going right to nap in a strange place. I managed to rejig the schedule today because my other daycare child is home this week. it was a rough start with mom but hopefully it is smooth sailing, more or less, from here on in

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your input!
Thriftylady 11:46 AM 09-09-2015
Originally Posted by Ariana:
In this particular situation the child is half days so comes for lunch then right to nap then picked up at 4:30pm. I wanted her to come and visit/transition for a few days while she is awake so she is not going right to nap in a strange place. I managed to rejig the schedule today because my other daycare child is home this week. it was a rough start with mom but hopefully it is smooth sailing, more or less, from here on in

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your input!
That does change things some then.
Tags:contract, part time care, transition times
Reply Up