Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Finally Made My Contract!!
NaptimesMyFav 05:25 AM 03-22-2016
I started my home daycare Lost 2 years ago. I went over a year with no contract, afraid to enforce the few policies I did set in place, and wasn't sure about starting up again after maternity leave. I had our 3rd baby last July and waited until October before starting again with just one or two kids a couple days a week. I was afraid to create a contract because I felt like I wasn't really a daycare because I only had a couple kids. A few months ago I started watching a couple kids one day a week. They went to a center where DCB4 had preschool on Tuesdays a Thursdays. They started coming to me because their other provider was going to be on maternity leave. They also have DCG 14mos. They took her out of the center first and started bringing her 3 days a week. About a month later took him out because he likes coming and playing with my own kids, DD5, DS2.

During their interview I had told them I close at 5. They said that she would pick them up by 5 most days but occasionally she would have to work later and it might be around 5:15. I said that was ok, but I should have known better because that's what parents have said before and it is never 5 or 5:15. It was about 5:20- 5:30 every day they were here. I knew on the days DCG was at center it would be later because she had to pick him up first so I was hopeful that when I took him 3 days also she would get here earlier. We'll since then it has been consistently 5:30, and it's not uncommon for it to be 5:45 or 5:50. She is a nurse so I understand it's hard to get out on time, but I have plans in the evenings and by 5 I just want to be done!
So I sent her a message Sunday letting her know as of April 4th I cannot keep them past 5 for any reason and if she can't be here she needs to make arrangements for someone else to pick them up. I also told her I would have a contract ready this week. I got it all done yesterday and included $1/minute late pickup fees. They are here today and I'm going to give it to her at pickup but now I'm nervous! I really don't have a backbone but I'm trying to get one! I am prepared that if they go somewhere else I will wait for someone else to come along to fill their spot. Financially we will be ok, I'm also PRN at the hospital as a nurse so I can pick up some extra days there. I'm doing this to be home with my kids and the baby (She's 8 months now). I have felt like just giving up and going back to work because I don't have the guts to tell people they HAVE to pick up their kids on time, but I decided I am going to turn this into the business that I want it to be!! And I'm not going to let everyone else call the shots. It's going to be hard to give her this contract though because they're a very nice family and I just feel bad! Lol. I'm thinking about putting it in an envelope and putting it in the diaper bag, but I don't know what to do. I don't want them to not see it, and I don't want to be passive agressive. Any ideas? Btw, sorry so long!!!
LindseyA 06:03 AM 03-22-2016
First of all, we all know it's scary but congratulations for your new and improved backbone! These ladies (and gentlemen) are a great group of constant support. A lot us rely on this forum to stay sane!
As for advice in your particular situation, at pick up I would just hand dcm the papers and tell her that she needs to read, sign and hand in at drop off the next day. Please and thank you! Short, sweet, and to the point. This is, after all, your business. You can make whatever hours YOU want.
Thriftylady 06:05 AM 03-22-2016
I also have a backbone issue! This board is helping me make it stronger the ladies here are so supportive and often have good advice. I will tell you what I have learned. The main thing I have learned is when it comes to your backbone, anticipating using it is usually the worst part. Once you give her the contract and explain it, it will likely be a huge relief. Be sure to give her a deadline to sign it! I also suggest you do a handbook, and make it part of the contract though. My contract has a line to initial stating that they have read and agree to abide by the policies in the handbook. If you need some time to make one that is fine, go ahead and do this contract you can add and a page later that goes with the handbook! Having things in writing really helps with my backbone. It makes it easy to say "You agreed to this when you signed the contract". Once she comes and you give it to her, you will feel so much better I promise. And if you loose her, well you didn't want her as a client anyway. A good client is better than just any client any day, and good policies and communication helps make a good client.

ETA: Where in Ohio are you? I am in Sabina!
NaptimesMyFav 06:35 AM 03-22-2016
Thank you guys! I like that idea, just hand it to her and tell her to read, sign and return. I made a cover letter to current parents and set a deadline. Thanks for the encouragement!!

I'm from Zanesville, (it's south-eastern ohio) I don't even know where Sabina is!
Thriftylady 07:42 AM 03-22-2016
Originally Posted by NaptimesMyFav:
Thank you guys! I like that idea, just hand it to her and tell her to read, sign and return. I made a cover letter to current parents and set a deadline. Thanks for the encouragement!!

I'm from Zanesville, (it's south-eastern ohio) I don't even know where Sabina is!
Been through Zanesville a ton of times! Sabina is about an hour south of Columbus and about an hour East/N.East of cincy. I am 3 or so hours from you!
NaptimesMyFav 08:14 AM 03-22-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
Been through Zanesville a ton of times! Sabina is about an hour south of Columbus and about an hour East/N.East of cincy. I am 3 or so hours from you!
Then I'm sure I've been near you too! It's nice to connect with someone close by! I read a lot on here, just don't post much and you are one that has been very helpful to me!! Thank you!
Ariana 08:26 AM 03-22-2016
This will both be the most difficult thing you will ever have to do and also the most rewarding thing you will ever have to do! Finding your backbone and making your business what you want it to be creates so much peace in your life that the few minutes of uncomfortable nervousness will be so worth it!

I have found that 99% of parents are completely ok with me enforcing my rules if I am confident about them and do not make room for negotiation. Keep explanations limited. State the boundary and enforce. Lengthy explanations mean you are not confident, are trying to justify yourself and gives them the impression you want to negotiate. This was a big mistake I made in the beginning. My husband helped me a LOT in the beginning because as a man he has no issue with being firm and hasn't been socialized to be "nice" like us women are!

Good luck! You will feel sooooo much better once this is done
NaptimesMyFav 09:17 AM 03-22-2016
Originally Posted by Ariana:
This will both be the most difficult thing you will ever have to do and also the most rewarding thing you will ever have to do! Finding your backbone and making your business what you want it to be creates so much peace in your life that the few minutes of uncomfortable nervousness will be so worth it!

I have found that 99% of parents are completely ok with me enforcing my rules if I am confident about them and do not make room for negotiation. Keep explanations limited. State the boundary and enforce. Lengthy explanations mean you are not confident, are trying to justify yourself and gives them the impression you want to negotiate. This was a big mistake I made in the beginning. My husband helped me a LOT in the beginning because as a man he has no issue with being firm and hasn't been socialized to be "nice" like us women are!

Good luck! You will feel sooooo much better once this is done
Thank you! I'm just going to try to not think any more about it and give it to her at pickup, because when I do i get nervous a day feel like I'm going to have to explain and apologize and you're right, woman are socialized to be nice! And there's nothing wrong with being firm and enforcing my policy!
Tags:contract, contract - new
Reply Up