Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Would You Do?
JessJC4 09:51 AM 03-28-2016
My DCM was not happy when I stuck to the contract and reminded her that she owes a $10 cancellation fee when dropping off DCD this week. To be as polite as possible about what followed, she sent a handful of texts and then said she's quitting her job and will be by to pick up anything belonging to DCD. She wasn't outright rude, but upset.

If you were in my shoes, would you advise her she has to pay the fees in order to get her things? I had been thinking that I would simply include in the term notice that if she is to start services again, the fee is due at that time.
thrivingchildcarecom 09:57 AM 03-28-2016
Clarification, what is the cancellation fee for? Is it for terminating or something else.

Since you have already addressed the issue, I think I would just include an invoice when she picks up the things or even simply email it to her.
LysesKids 10:39 AM 03-28-2016
Originally Posted by JessJC4:
My DCM was not happy when I stuck to the contract and reminded her that she owes a $10 cancellation fee when dropping off DCD this week. To be as polite as possible about what followed, she sent a handful of texts and then said she's quitting her job and will be by to pick up anything belonging to DCD. She wasn't outright rude, but upset.

If you were in my shoes, would you advise her she has to pay the fees in order to get her things? I had been thinking that I would simply include in the term notice that if she is to start services again, the fee is due at that time.
First what is the $10 for? 2nd, if I remember correctly, refusing to release personal items that belong to the at family can be considered theft; I was always told you can't hold something "hostage" just because you are owed money - & this amount is so little that it's not worth a fight over.
JessJC4 10:41 AM 03-28-2016
The fee is for multiple cancellations in a month. It's only $10 per cancellation once she hits 3 in a calendar month. It's in the contract which she signed. She even stated that she knew what she agreed to but she can't pay me when she didn't get paid.

Thanks for your advice!
sharlan 10:48 AM 03-28-2016
I would allow the parent to retrieve the items and not worry about the $10. I would just move on.
Tags:cancellation, cancellation fee, contract
Reply Up