Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Explaining Contracted Hours
Play Care 11:26 AM 07-08-2013
I am sure there have been threads on this, but couldn't find them.

For those who have made the switch to contracted hours, how do you explain them to parents or prospective clients? I almost feel as though parents deliberately try to misunderstand the way it works so they can get you from open to close...

Also, do contracted hours hold up in court? I can see a judge thinking it's not a big deal the parent was "late" since you were "open" anyway.
Blackcat31 11:34 AM 07-08-2013
My policy handbook states

"I do not have standard operating hours. I work on contracted hours and provide care on week days only. I open for business when the first child is scheduled and close when the last child is scheduled for picked up."

The letter I used to inform parents of the change when I went from open to close hours to using contracted hours is attached.

You are welcome to use it, modify it or use it as a starting place.
MarinaVanessa 02:32 PM 07-08-2013
I do a few things in my contract and handbook to explain how it works. For example, I give them a rate sheet with the break-down and limits (these are also in the contract and handbook):

Rate Sheet:
~Full-Time~
Full-Time rates are charged on a flat weekly rate. The rate covers 4 or 5 days of attendance per week (same schedule each week), a maximum of 10 hours per day and a maximum of 50 hours per week.*
$165.00 per week
Extra hours add $6 per hour
... explain again for PT and drop-in

Contract:
Full-Time: Full-time care is defined as a minimum of four (4) days a week with a maximum of fifty (50) hours a week and a maximum of ten (10) hours per day.

Handbook:
Full-Time Child Care
The rate for full-time childcare is for child care for four or five days per week and covers up to 50 hours per week and is based on enrollment, not an attendance. Full-time clients have a guaranteed spot in the daycare based on their scheduled hours whether the child attends the daycare for all of the 50 hours or not. Any additional time over 50 hours that is needed is charged at the hourly full-time rate.

I also explain multiple times that I have business hours but that they have
"scheduled hours" and what that means:

Contract:
1. Business Hours
...a. [daycare] normal hours of operation are Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
...b. These hours are available for care of children but are not necessarily the hours that are allotted to the client for child care. The client’s allotted time is listed below.
2. Hours of Care
...a. The parties have agreed that care provided for the child will be for:
(choose one option).

 Full-Time: Full-time care is defined as a minimum of four (4) days a week with a maximum of fifty (50) hours a week and a maximum of ten (10) hours per day.

 Part-Time: Part-time is defined as three (3) or less days a week, a maximum of 29 hours per week and a maximum of ten (10) hours per day.
b. The parties have agreed to the following schedule of care:
 Monday Hours __________ [AM/PM] to __________ [AM/PM]
 Tuesday Hours __________ [AM/PM] to __________ [AM/PM]
 Wednesday Hours __________ [AM/PM] to __________ [AM/PM]
 Thursday Hours __________ [AM/PM] to __________ [AM/PM]
 Friday Hours __________ [AM/PM] to __________ [AM/PM]
Note: _________________________________________________
...c. No child will be accepted earlier or later than the scheduled hours of care unless prior arrangements have been made and agreed upon by the provider. Late arrivals do not allow for late pickups and scheduled missed days cannot be switched for unscheduled days.
...d. Helping Hands Childcare is open year-round, except for the holidays, days and vacations as stipulated in this contract and in the Policy Handbook.
...e. The client will notify the provider two (2) weeks in advance and in writing of any changes such as working hours, changes in employment, changes in residence etc. so that the child’s files will always be updated and current

Handbook:
Daycare Hours
The daycare’s regular business hours are Monday through Friday 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. however these hours are not necessarily the hours that a client is allotted to bring their child. Unless a client is a drop-in client, hours for care will be discussed and a schedule will be set which includes a fair amount of commuting time and this will become the child’s “scheduled hours”. Care will be provided for children only during their contracted scheduled hours.

Any changes to a child’s full or part-time schedule must be discussed and reassessed and will depend on the ability for the childcare provider to meet the child’s new needs. Each time that changes to a child’s full or part-time schedule are needed a new contract must be signed.

This way I leave NO ROOM for a client saying "Oh, I didn't know". If I still get a client that says that then I STILL penalize them by charging them the extra fees associated with early drop-offs, late pick-ups, going over the hours for their "scheduled hours" etc. If they have a fluctuating schedule (retail, restaurant jobs etc) then I require that they pay for a FT spot if they want me to leave a spot for them all week long AND they still have to give me their work schedule 2 weeks in advance. As long as I keep fining them and sticking to my policies they "get it" and stop pushing the limits and stop trying to take advantage.

For example if a DCM that has a DCK scheduled to be here M-W-F from 8am to 5pm asks me if DCK can come Tues instead of Wed my response would be
"Sure. That'll be $36. Let me know if you'd like DCK to come on Wednesday anyway so that you don't lose out on that day" That keeps clients from switching days and expecting you to just take them whenever they want. If they ask for "more" or for "special" add a price tag to it. Either they'll stop asking or they'll pay it. Either way at least it's to your benefit now.
aDCProvider 05:54 PM 07-08-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

"I do not have standard operating hours. I work on contracted hours and provide care on week days only. I open for business when the first child is scheduled and close when the last child is scheduled for picked up."

The letter I used to inform parents of the change when I went from open to close hours to using contracted hours is attached.

I was thinking of changing from a daily rate to a rate scale. Can you post your rate scale? I have no idea how to start that. I use a daily rate for up to 9 hours per day regardless of amount of days per week.
Ckiyan 02:20 PM 12-21-2019
@Blackcat31

Hi, where can I find the attached letter? thank you
Msdunny 10:17 AM 12-24-2019

Blackcat, I'm wondering - do you stick to a drop-off/pick-up schedule, or are your parents allowed to pick up after their scheduled time, as long as they do it before the last scheduled pick-up for the day? I have always said that parents have their own schedule and it doesn't matter what schedule I have for other kids. They must pick-up by their scheduled time. I may just be reading your statement above incorrectly. Thanks!
Blackcat31 03:10 PM 12-24-2019
Originally Posted by Msdunny:
Blackcat, I'm wondering - do you stick to a drop-off/pick-up schedule, or are your parents allowed to pick up after their scheduled time, as long as they do it before the last scheduled pick-up for the day? I have always said that parents have their own schedule and it doesn't matter what schedule I have for other kids. They must pick-up by their scheduled time. I may just be reading your statement above incorrectly. Thanks!
I don’t care what time they drop off although they all tell me a time. I only care what time they pick up. If they are contracted to 4:00 and pick up at 4:15 they are late and owe late fees even if I still have other kids present.
Weekly fees are based on pick up times.
Each family’s weekly rate allows them their contracted time only and not beyond.
Msdunny 12:39 PM 12-27-2019
I don’t care what time they drop off although they all tell me a time. I only care what time they pick up. If they are contracted to 4:00 and pick up at 4:15 they are late and owe late fees even if I still have other kids present.
Weekly fees are based on pick up times.
Each family’s weekly rate allows them their contracted time only and not beyond.
Gotcha - thanks!
Tags:2013, contract, contracted hours, notice of contract changes, rate scales, samples
Reply Up