Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Three Contracts, I'm Starting To Get Confused!
Abigail 12:30 PM 03-23-2011
I'm all about details and organization so this is really driving me nuts! Please share your thoughts.

I have a holding fee contract, which is just that. It's a fee charged to NEW clients who want a spot to be held for their child. I don't have a time line put on this contract so even if they wanted to pay one week before enrolling to promise their child the last spot they would pay the dollar amount I would determine. The rate would be half the weekly rate (or similiar depending on the length of time needed I guess) and needs to be paid on Fridays like all the other families pay, except their child doesn't attend at all yet. This fee is not applied toward care since it is to hold the spot only. This would be for expecting mothers as well if they want child number two or three to have a spot held for them. It's only fair.
It only has the date-to-be-held from the date of signature, the amount to be paid and when, the late fee if it's not paid on time ($5), how long until they forfeit the spot if they don't pay (following friday), a place for both parent and provider signatures and date.

My question about this contract....I don't have a place for parent information or phone numbers to reach them at. Do I also have a parent fill out the information on the regular contract, but not sign it until the holding fee contract expires? I obviously would have already completed an inteview and given then the policies to keep and other enrollment information.
I have a regular contract to be signed prior to starting care. This is a standard contract that is only a few pages explaining everything relating to time and money.

I want to make an extended leave contract as well. This would cover summer leave for teachers, leave for maternity time, or leave for a long vacation or a really sick child, etc. with a 12-week maximum like many others recommend. Do I have this in my regular contract since the only ones who can actually use this contract would already be enrolled in my program? Would I have it in my contract that two weeks notice must be given and paid at full rate and then they can pay for half the weekly rate for up to twelve weeks while attending care two days per week? Then on the actual extended leave contract have the specific information with the chosen two days to attend care? Would I only put the extended leave information in my policies and keep all the details on a separate extended leave contract? Lastly, if they sign an extended leave contract, do they re-sign a regular contract when the time is done or does it automatically go back to the regular contract once the time has expired on the extended leave contract?

Thanks so much for all your help! I don't know why I'm so flustered over this, but I just need to be organized and keep things simple!
missnikki 03:27 PM 03-23-2011
You sound like you are very well organized and thoguhtful...trying to get it all done without a 'working model' could seem like overkill, but trust me, it's NOT. It will only serve you well to anticipate the issues that you may come across and set up your program accordingly. IMO, you are doing a phenominal job.

Do I also have a parent fill out the information on the regular contract, but not sign it until the holding fee contract expires?
YES.
As far as the holding fee contract...it sounds like you have what you need on there... also I would definitely initiate full enrollment paperwork, the whole enchilada, since they are officially paying clients. Make the effective date/ times "TBD" (include a spot to check off or notate that the "spot is reserved according to the holding spot policy, see addendum attached") and update the main contract with current dates and signatures once they are ready to start. (So yeah, 2 contracts kind of, but the main one refers to the temp one.)

Do I have this in my regular contract since the only ones who can actually use this contract would already be enrolled in my program?
Not to suggest something totally different, but how about adding it to your policy handbook...which is seperate from your contract? Same can go for the spot holding rules. Your handbook should have everything in it that everyone is held to, while the contract should be client-specific. (With the famous signature line: I have read and understand the policies as set forth in the ____Parent Handbook and agree to abide by all policies within.")

I truly hope that made sense. Not feeling great today.
Abigail 06:21 PM 03-23-2011
MissNikki, it does make sense. I need to add that line to my holding fee contract, but it is in my regular contract. I am not sure if I want to add the holding fee contract to my policies or not because it's only for those who are new to my program since if they're already enrolled they don't need a spot held.

Too many details get too frustrating. LOL. I am well prepared, I just want all the paperwork done. ha ha. Does anyone have any other thoughts of examples?
missnikki 06:58 AM 03-24-2011
You should consider adding that holding fee stuff to your contract, because the way I see it my handbook is a compilation of solutions to possible problems for my paying clients. Not every rule will need to apply to everyone, but everyone will know where to look for answers to their questions regardless of their state of enrollment. I would have it in there under a heading "Holding spots" or "Deposits for future use" or something... and that should keep all the rules nice and tidy for them once they 'graduate' into full clients.
Abigail 10:32 AM 03-24-2011
The only thing that is different is my handbook is all my rules on what to expect out of my business. I don't like giving current families information of "I will do this" "I will do that" instead it is in the means of "Here we do this" and "Here we do that". The holding fee is a separate contract that is three paragraphs with all the if's and's and but's about future enrollment.

I still need to find the wording/rules I want to use for extended leave, but I guess I could add the basic information (that this option does exist and please contact me to see if this would be the best option for you) and just not put anything about the rates or details on the rules. Would that be okay? It would probably be just a short paragraph.
missnikki 01:07 PM 03-24-2011
Originally Posted by Abigail:
The only thing that is different is my handbook is all my rules on what to expect out of my business. I don't like giving current families information of "I will do this" "I will do that" instead it is in the means of "Here we do this" and "Here we do that". The holding fee is a separate contract that is three paragraphs with all the if's and's and but's about future enrollment.

I still need to find the wording/rules I want to use for extended leave, but I guess I could add the basic information (that this option does exist and please contact me to see if this would be the best option for you) and just not put anything about the rates or details on the rules. Would that be okay? It would probably be just a short paragraph.
Then it sounds like you can check two more issues off!
Well done, Abigail
Tags:contract, extended leave, holding fee, maternity leave, part time care, policies, policy, schedule change, sick child, weekly rates
Reply Up