Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Understood The Contract, But...
littlemommy 03:01 PM 08-02-2011
I had an interview that went great last night. The parents were very happy to meet me and my family. Their girls got along great with my son. We went over the contract and the dad called me later in the evening asking if they could start today. I said yes, and we had a wonderful first day.

2 hours after they left, I had a text from the dad, which he forwarded from the ex-wife. She's wondering how payments will work since they are only here 2 days this week. Last night I told them the minimum payment, which I must have because I am holding 2 full time positions, but their days vary from 2-4 days (my minimum is covering 3 days.) Last night she understood, but now she doesn't?!
familyschoolcare 03:05 PM 08-02-2011
Just say like the contracts says "........" anything else i can help you understand?
littlemommy 03:08 PM 08-02-2011
The father is very understanding about it and has no problem. They will be splitting every week's pay 50/50, and I did say that if I don't have it on the last day of care for the week there will be a $5 late charge/day. That was all stated last night and she said she understood. Ugh. Frustrating when they come back and try to weasel out of things.
erinalexmom 03:11 PM 08-02-2011
I would give her the benefit of the doubt. Its alot to deal with all on the first day. She may be trying to scam you but I would just restate nicely the contract and offer to answer any questions she might have. Like saying something like "I know in the first few days it all gets confusing. In my contract it states (whatever your contract states). If there are any other questions I would be happy to answer them for you" Then maybe you can feel out if she is trying to scam you or if she's just an airhead (like me) LOL
wdmmom 03:21 PM 08-02-2011
Did you provide each of the with a copy of the handbook. If not, do so immediately. That way there is no discrepancy.
Sugar Magnolia 04:48 PM 08-02-2011
$5 late pay fee is low IMO... I charge $25 and if they do not have their payment and the late fee Monday morning, they don't come inside. I definately AIM to punish parents who don't pay on time. Cuz my phone company does. And my utilities. And my mortgage.
Lucy 08:55 PM 08-02-2011
This advice comes from experience .... TWICE! So I can't stress this enough:

Make the contract with ONLY ONE of the parents. State very clearly in the contract that this ONE parent is the one who will physically hand you the money. This ONE parent is the one you will go to when payments are late. This ONE parent is the one you will communicate with regarding the child. This ONE parent is responsible to adhere to the terms of the contract.

If you have a contract with Dad, you don't have to be concerned where the money comes from -- just that he pays it. And pays it on time. He should be responsible for collecting Mom's half on his own. If Mom has a question that she texts to Dad, Dad should ask you himself at pick up. He should NOT be forwarding a text to you from Mom. You are contracted to work with HIM, not her. If she drops off or picks up the kids some of the time, then she should be looked upon as merely a additional authorized pick up person. Just like if Grandma or Auntie were picking them up. You exchange pleasantries and they leave. It might sound harsh, but it will save you a lot of grief. Believe me!!!

I tried to work with divorced couples twice, and it was awful. Then I had a young couple who announced to me that they were splitting up, and Mom asked me to write up a letter about how Dad is NOT allowed to pick up the kids, he's not to do this, that, and the other, etc., and I thought to myself that I did NOT want to get back into that awful scenario, so I said I wouldn't do it. They would need to decide who the "main" parent was, and I would change my contract to reflect it, and work ONLY with that parent.

Just my advice based on experience.
Cat Herder 05:37 AM 08-03-2011
Originally Posted by Joyce:
Make the contract with ONLY ONE of the parents. State very clearly in the contract that this ONE parent is the one who will physically hand you the money. This ONE parent is the one you will go to when payments are late. This ONE parent is responsible to adhere to the terms of the contract.
This is how I do it, too.

It is the only way to keep their life decisions from effecting yours.

Now, I do discuss the childs milestones/behavior with both and also split the art projects between the two equally.
harperluu 05:59 AM 08-03-2011
Originally Posted by Joyce:
This advice comes from experience .... TWICE! So I can't stress this enough:

Make the contract with ONLY ONE of the parents. State very clearly in the contract that this ONE parent is the one who will physically hand you the money. This ONE parent is the one you will go to when payments are late. This ONE parent is the one you will communicate with regarding the child. This ONE parent is responsible to adhere to the terms of the contract.

If you have a contract with Dad, you don't have to be concerned where the money comes from -- just that he pays it. And pays it on time. He should be responsible for collecting Mom's half on his own. If Mom has a question that she texts to Dad, Dad should ask you himself at pick up. He should NOT be forwarding a text to you from Mom. You are contracted to work with HIM, not her. If she drops off or picks up the kids some of the time, then she should be looked upon as merely a additional authorized pick up person. Just like if Grandma or Auntie were picking them up. You exchange pleasantries and they leave. It might sound harsh, but it will save you a lot of grief. Believe me!!!

I tried to work with divorced couples twice, and it was awful. Then I had a young couple who announced to me that they were splitting up, and Mom asked me to write up a letter about how Dad is NOT allowed to pick up the kids, he's not to do this, that, and the other, etc., and I thought to myself that I did NOT want to get back into that awful scenario, so I said I wouldn't do it. They would need to decide who the "main" parent was, and I would change my contract to reflect it, and work ONLY with that parent.

Just my advice based on experience.
I've had married couples pull the same. When payment is late: Oh, my husband is so forgetful. I'll tell him to remember on Monday. When kids are picked up late: Oh, I called my husband to let him know to pick the kids up. He must not have gotten the message. When kids don't have a change of clothes: I can't believe he forgot to bring them, he must have left them in the truck.

I've handed invoices with late fees attached to this type of wife/husband and said. Since you're husband is so forgetful, I'd like to receive payment from you from now on.

I am not married to your husband!
Tags:contract, divorce, divorce;, divorced parents, holding spots, interview
Reply Up