Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Found My Back Bone!!!
littlemommy 07:48 AM 09-21-2011
I put a note in a kid's bag last Friday that said "As stated in contract, no outside cups, drinks, or food. All meals, snacks, and drinks are provided."

Yesterday at pick up the dad looked at his son when he walked in, and before he even looked at me or said hi, he says "No there's no cup in there. We can't bring cups here anymore." and gave me a glare. I gave him all the reasons as to why I don't allow outside stuff. He asked if they could keep a cup of water in the bag. I said yes, as long as it is in the bag out of site before he comes in.

It's a good feeling to make someone follow the rules. I feel a little rude at times but sometimes it's necessary with parents that will otherwise break every rule in the book!
tbutler 07:55 AM 09-21-2011
Originally Posted by littlemommy:
I put a note in a kid's bag last Friday that said "As stated in contract, no outside cups, drinks, or food. All meals, snacks, and drinks are provided."

Yesterday at pick up the dad looked at his son when he walked in, and before he even looked at me or said hi, he says "No there's no cup in there. We can't bring cups here anymore." and gave me a glare. I gave him all the reasons as to why I don't allow outside stuff. He asked if they could keep a cup of water in the bag. I said yes, as long as it is in the bag out of site before he comes in.

It's a good feeling to make someone follow the rules. I feel a little rude at times but sometimes it's necessary with parents that will otherwise break every rule in the book!
Great job! I know you feel a lot better not having to worry about parents breaking that rule anymore.
littlemommy 07:59 AM 09-21-2011
I also asked her if she could have his blanket in his bag when he walks in. If it's one less thing for me to put away, the better. This boy has been coming here since last April, and still throws a fit when he comes. He just turned 2, doesn't play with other kids or even show interest in toys. He is happiest by himself. I could write a whole 'nother post bout his behavior!
tbutler 08:15 AM 09-21-2011
I also asked her if she could have his blanket in his bag when he walks in. If it's one less thing for me to put away, the better. This boy has been coming here since last April, and still throws a fit when he comes. He just turned 2, doesn't play with other kids or even show interest in toys. He is happiest by himself. I could write a whole 'nother post bout his behavior!
Yikes! hopefully he doesn't cry for long after mommy leaves. I'm starting to learn to just ask (or tell) parents what I want or need and that it makes things easier. Or just update the handbook with the changes, give them a copy, and have them sign saying they have received the updates and understand that all changes take effect immediately! Lol, I did this yesterday.
littlemommy 09:19 AM 09-21-2011
I knew with this family that updating the contract wouldn't do any good. She told me that she never read the rules in the first one!!
tbutler 10:58 AM 09-21-2011
I knew with this family that updating the contract wouldn't do any good. She told me that she never read the rules in the first one!!
We put a lot of hard work into those handbooks and majority doesn't read them!!!! During my last interview, I made it a point to go over the main points in my handbook with the parent (early drop off and late pickup based on contract, payments, illness, and just communicate with me about questions or concerns).
littlemissmuffet 12:15 PM 09-21-2011
Originally Posted by tbutler:
We put a lot of hard work into those handbooks and majority doesn't read them!!!! During my last interview, I made it a point to go over the main points in my handbook with the parent (early drop off and late pickup based on contract, payments, illness, and just communicate with me about questions or concerns).
This is what the MAJORITY of my interviews entail... going through my handbook - there is NO REASON afor a parent to ever tell me "Oh, I didn't know that". Haha.
The rest of the interview is pretty much me asking the parents questions to get a feel for how they parent. I choose families, they don't choose me
littlemommy 12:36 PM 09-21-2011
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
This is what the MAJORITY of my interviews entail... going through my handbook - there is NO REASON afor a parent to ever tell me "Oh, I didn't know that". Haha.
The rest of the interview is pretty much me asking the parents questions to get a feel for how they parent. I choose families, they don't choose me
Since she told me that, I started going over all of the main points in interviews. Makes things a lot easier!
Tags:backbone, contract, rules
Reply Up