Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Bringing Items In The Morning?
DaycareMom 09:49 AM 11-17-2011
Hi! I am a little annoyed. I have in my contract that when children arrive @ my home they can not bring anything inside. No toys, cups, food, books, etc. They can only bring a blanket or lovey for nap time which is usually kept here anyway.

For the past 2 mornings, 2 yo dcb has been bringing in juice. I told dcm, please don't bring juice, then they all want juice and we will be eating breakfast in 20 minutes so there is no need. She wasn't happy but agreed.

Next morning, he brings a page of a board book (not an actual book but just a page he ripped out) and all the other dck want to look. He does not want to share, pulls a fit, etc.

I tell dcm to bring him empty handed as to not cause confusion.
She says to me "Christie, how am I going to get him out of the car. He will not get out of my car without a toy/book. It was hard enough to take away his juice."

Are you kidding me ?!?!?! He is 2!
cheerfuldom 09:52 AM 11-17-2011
Put a trash can by the front door. Anything that comes in gets thrown in the trash immediately
AnneCordelia 09:52 AM 11-17-2011
LOL!!! She wants you to do the work.

Do you meet them at the door. I'd meet them at the door and make sure he's got empty hands before letting him in.
small_steps 09:55 AM 11-17-2011
That frustrates me too. I have a little boy (4) who always brings in food/toys whatever. I take it and goes straight to his cubby and sometimes trash depending on what it is. Well mom got a dose of it this morning when he spilled a huge bottle of chocolate milk (at least 24 oz or so). It was a tall one. I'm just thinking "that's what ya get for not following the rules" lol. Nice, brand new SUV too. It's the same here though, the child pitches a fit if they aren't allowed to bring it in and parents want us to be the bad guys.
Ariana 09:56 AM 11-17-2011
I take it from them and hand it back to mom to take home...when kid pitches a fit I deal with it. I have a lot of experience with a jellyfish backboned mom so this is what works for me. I have a DCG that comes with princess bracelets and necklaces every.single.day and every day I take them off and either had them back to mom or stuff them in her bag. The DCG used to cry but now she knows that it just doesn't work with me so says nothing!! I also explain quite simply "If you don't want to share, it either goes back home or back in your bag...what's your choice?" Sometimes the kid chooses to put it in the bag or give it to mom. If they can't choose I choose for them.
DaycareMom 09:56 AM 11-17-2011
Yes, I meet them at the door. My entryway is very small so they kinda have to come inside the house.

Do you just tell the dcm, "hey go put that back in your car"
Ariana 09:58 AM 11-17-2011
Originally Posted by MissChristie:
Yes, I meet them at the door. My entryway is very small so they kinda have to come inside the house.

Do you just tell the dcm, "hey go put that back in your car"
Yep! I just say "oh sorry mom you know thw rules no toys at daycare...here ya go" with a big smile on my face. OR I do the whole choice thing with the kid, depending on what it is. If they can't share it goes in their bag.
AnneCordelia 09:59 AM 11-17-2011
I'd say, "Johnny, give that to your mom before you come in please." A 2yo can follow simple instructions.

Then if he doesn't I'd says, "Ok, we've got a busy morning here! Sally, can you take that *whatever* and we'll get going with our day."

Not accusatory, but definitely straight-forward. Fact of the matter is mom knows it isn't allowed and clearly wants you to do the work, so put it on her. Tell her what you need straight-up.
AfterSchoolMom 10:08 AM 11-17-2011
I will never understand why parents these days are SO reluctant to tell their children NO. Such a simple word...
nannyde 10:10 AM 11-17-2011
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
I will never understand why parents these days are SO reluctant to tell their children NO.
They don't want them to cry.
Heidi 10:11 AM 11-17-2011
Originally Posted by AnneCordelia:
I'd say, "Johnny, give that to your mom before you come in please." A 2yo can follow simple instructions.

Then if he doesn't I'd says, "Ok, we've got a busy morning here! Sally, can you take that *whatever* and we'll get going with our day."

Not accusatory, but definitely straight-forward. Fact of the matter is mom knows it isn't allowed and clearly wants you to do the work, so put it on her. Tell her what you need straight-up.
Yep, I make them GIVE it back to the parent, as well. I'm not letting the parent off the hook by dealing with it alone. If they'd rather walk away while their child is fussing in the house, vs. in the car, so be it. But either way, they are going to deal with it, too!
mommiesherie 10:25 AM 11-17-2011
I agree. I would say please give that to your mom. Sorry mom but you know the rules. We have to all follow them. And if he won't give it to her I would take it from him and hand it to her and say something like here ya go mom. With a smile of course as I am gritting my teeth lol
sharlan 10:28 AM 11-17-2011
I don't have a problem with kids bringing things inside, whether it be food or toy.

They sit at the table and finish the food. I toss what they don't eat. I do ask that if it's a special treat like a donut, that they bring in enough for everyone.

If they come in with a toy, they know that they have to share or put it in their cubby.

I like when they bring books, it gives us a chance to read one that we may not have.

I don't really remember it ever being an issue.
dave4him 10:29 AM 11-17-2011
My niece comes over and leaves whatever she came in with and tries to sneak out the door with a toy that belongs to my kids! LOL its funny cause im not sure if she realizes shes a little thief or honestly thinks its a pawn shop here
mommiesherie 10:58 AM 11-17-2011
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I don't have a problem with kids bringing things inside, whether it be food or toy.

They sit at the table and finish the food. I toss what they don't eat. I do ask that if it's a special treat like a donut, that they bring in enough for everyone.

If they come in with a toy, they know that they have to share or put it in their cubby.

I like when they bring books, it gives us a chance to read one that we may not have.

I don't mind them bringing in food as long as its not a treat that everyone will want. Anytime a toy comes in its trouble waiting to happen. Learned that lesson many times.
cheerfuldom 11:00 AM 11-17-2011
yes, I have that problem too.....daycare kids trying to take our toys home. I just take the toy and out they go with mom. If they throw a fit, its on our porch and my door is already closed. Parents are more likely to deal with it when they don't have the option of you doing it for them. It is very hilarious to see the kids running circles around their parents. I would never ever tolerate that, especially not in the street or driveway!
kendallina 11:01 AM 11-17-2011
"But I just don't want to tell him, no"...what a dcm said to me about this very issue.

"Um...you NEED to tell your child no. For your sake and his, please tell your child no." was my response.

I don't get it either.
hoopinglady 11:03 AM 11-17-2011
After I told grandma for the millionth time "home toys stay home". She drops off and says to dcb, "you have to share or hoopinglady will put this away.

what the heck?
Cat Herder 11:22 AM 11-17-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
The "No Cry" Generation.
Heidi 11:42 AM 11-17-2011
I have had no problems with toys from this group, mostly because 4 out of 5 are from the same family.

They also haven't tried to bring food in. The only problem here has been sippy cups. At home, they are allowed to carry them around. Here, we only eat and drink at the table, and no carrying around of the cups. I can't even let them carry around water, because 3/5 like to spill it on the floor/table/whatever and fingerpaint with it. My shih-tzu can only clean so much!
SimpleMom 12:04 PM 11-17-2011
Originally Posted by sharlan:

Goodness! Thanks for sharing that . I'm glad to hear that. I thought I was the only one. lol. Phew! It doesn't bother me either. I do exactly what you do. There was only a couple of times I had to put a special treat in the bag, cuz it wasn't enough for the group and the WHOLE group came and bombarded the little gal for the cool treat. She was completely okay with it though.

Book are awesome! I just simply put it back in their bag/cubby when we finish and they can have it at rest (as long as it doesn't cause any hassle), and on we go with our day. Sometimes, it just helps the transition for them to have a little bit of "home" with them when that's really where they want to be anyway.
Sugar Magnolia 12:05 PM 11-17-2011
This only works on kids with verbal skills, but this is what I do w a 3yob who brings in a toy daily. "Oooooo that a super cool car! Let's put it in the car box and we can all play with it.... That's a great toy! Thanks for donating it to the toy box....no? I can't have it? Oh well, better give it back to mom." Now FOOD is a different matter. No joking around there. Trash. But your 2yo might not go for the "cool! I get to keep it and everyone can play with it" routine. They have to be verbal and have a sense of humor for that. My 3yob, its a ritual. He KNOWS I will try to "aquire" his toy and is satisfied with showing me, letting me try to talk him into donating it, and giving it back to mom.
sharlan 12:09 PM 11-17-2011
My 4 yo has some issues. Preschool was a battle with the kicking and screaming. He always wanted something to take with him. The teacher quickly realized that he didn't do it on "share" days. Now he takes a mini R2D2 with him every day. R2D2 sits on top of the cubbies and "watches" him.
MNMum 12:09 PM 11-17-2011
At first when dcb started doing this, I was a little annoyed. But I realized it was a good teaching tool for my own 2 yo and the others. If a toy is brought from home it must be shared, just as my 2 yo must share his toys. And they all love the new toy! It is usually a book.
hoopinglady 12:10 PM 11-17-2011
I have a boy who knows the rules and his mama has been cooperative so he started smuggling his spiderman in his coat sleeve.

stinker.

He still knows it goes to the cubby, but I think he feels better knowing it's here.
cheerfuldom 12:21 PM 11-17-2011
the thing about letting the kids come in with toys if they share them is that that is just another thing to enforce. It my experience that they don't want to share their item and the parents get upset if it is not returned in the same condition. Its just another fight with the parents. Its way easier to me to have a no toy rule than to try and work around it. I throw items away or put it right into the bag, right in front of the parents so they know that their child will not be getting this back until they leave. This goes for blankies, lovies, sippys, etc, etc.
AmyLeigh 01:02 PM 11-17-2011
I finally told one dcm, "If your lo wants to bring a snack, fine. Just make sure you are packing enough for EVERYONE!"
It's so frustrating because this boy will come with a little baggie of goldfish and then my 3 yo is throwing a tantrum because I don't have any goldfish to give her. It's not like I don't feed the kid!
Toys are another issue. If they get lost in the mess of toys I already have here, oh well. I'm not gonna spend more time going through all of the toy boxes because one child wanted to show off his new toy. It'll show up sooner or later.
AmyLeigh 01:04 PM 11-17-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Oh no, it might hurt their self-esteem!!

Tags:candy for breakfast, contract, cry, crying, items from childs home, no cry parenting, toys from home
Reply Up