Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Contracts For Multiple Children
Abigail 03:56 PM 12-30-2011
When you have siblings and it's time to sign the contract with the weekly rate, do you have each child's name written down and the weekly rate for each child or just an overall rate?

I have a family of two joining and both children's rates would be the same for the next six months which at that time I plan on doing a new contract because the rate would go down. They always pay regardless of attendance of either children, but I'm wondering if it's best to put down $X for child A and $X for child B. What do you do?

I obviously have the contract details and all names and ages and everything in writing. Just wanted some last minute advice whether I should handwrite the weekly rate per child or not.
daycare 04:11 PM 12-30-2011
I always make one contract.

I will write

the weekly rate for johhny will be $200.00 a week

The weekly rate for Susie will be $200.00 a week

Your family qualifies for a family discount of $40.00 a month. this discount only applies when tuition fees are paid on time.

I require monthly payments. so this works for me..

I started a rule about 3 years ago that families that are getting a discount must pay monthly and will only get the discount if they make their payments on time. When I started that rule I gain back over $175.00 a month from 3 families.

They could not afford to pay monthly so they lost their discount.. I looked at it like this, you want a discount and I lose money, does that mean I get to discount the quality of care that I give your child? lol of course I am joking, but as a small business, its hard to give eveyone disconts....

Sorry I totally got of track
Blackcat31 07:34 AM 12-31-2011
Each space in my care has a contract. I don't care if all of my 12-14 spaces are filled with siblings.

Each child is a separate individual. Each child gets one contract. Parents have never complained.

It is just how I do it so that I know each space has ALL the correct paperwork and updates.

It is alot simplier and easier to look at individual spaces and not as groups or families.
Crazy8 11:03 AM 12-31-2011
each child gets their own contract and file here. Their days and hours may vary from siblings once one goes to school, etc. so just because they are the same now I would still do two separate contracts.
Lucy 11:10 AM 12-31-2011
Contract for each child.
Abigail 01:15 PM 12-31-2011
Wow, a contract PER child? That sounds like a waste of paper. I do not have any school age and this family has the same hours. I wouldn't like having the same family come 3 or more times a day for drop off and pickup, I'm a home daycare.

My handbooks and contracts have the signature page on the same page as the last topic so the back page is always blank. I've decided to do it this way so parents have the entire contract and handbook that I do. I'm going to provide two copies of everything so parents can sign my copy and theirs. I just don't know another way of doing it. I would rather have a copy of the handbook and contract instead of the sheet of paper with a signature because the paperwork may change according to when they enrolled and when I updated things.

So confusing! Many of you serious have the parents fill out a separate lengthly handbook and contract per child though? I have up to three spots to fill in children's names and ages on the contract. When a child reaches a new age where the rate would change I would just fill out a new contract and have them sign it again like it's new. I do have individual files for all children and each child has their own documents required by the state, but the oldest child would get the contract/handbook copy in their file. Doesn't that make sense to do it that way and save on paper?

I can understand doing separate contracts if you had separate custody like half-siblings attending. I also understand if the hours were different that it would be easier to have separate contracts to identify the rates, but this scenario could also have a table/chart for each child too. Since I have them pay weekly whether they all attend or not, it just doesn't make sense to break down into separate contracts and more paperwork. Please let me know how much paperwork you have to do and do you have to make copies or do you provide two of the same and have both signed when you keep one and they keep one copy?
Crystal 03:06 PM 12-31-2011
I have a parent handbook and a contract. The contract for two children is on one form, with each child's name and their specific rate entered. I charge $160 per week for the first child(the youngest) and $140.00 per week for the second child (the oldest) I do it this way so when the oldest child ages out of my program, the younger stays at the higher rate.

This is the only time I ever give a discounted rate, all of my children are the same rate, regardless of age, unless they are a sibling set.

I do not have parents initial or sign anything in the handbook but do have it entered on the contract that they agree to abide by all policies set forth in the handbook.
Blackcat31 03:12 PM 12-31-2011
Originally Posted by Child Care:
Wow, a contract PER child? That sounds like a waste of paper. I do not have any school age and this family has the same hours. I wouldn't like having the same family come 3 or more times a day for drop off and pickup, I'm a home daycare.

My handbooks and contracts have the signature page on the same page as the last topic so the back page is always blank. I've decided to do it this way so parents have the entire contract and handbook that I do. I'm going to provide two copies of everything so parents can sign my copy and theirs. I just don't know another way of doing it. I would rather have a copy of the handbook and contract instead of the sheet of paper with a signature because the paperwork may change according to when they enrolled and when I updated things.

So confusing! Many of you serious have the parents fill out a separate lengthly handbook and contract per child though? I have up to three spots to fill in children's names and ages on the contract. When a child reaches a new age where the rate would change I would just fill out a new contract and have them sign it again like it's new. I do have individual files for all children and each child has their own documents required by the state, but the oldest child would get the contract/handbook copy in their file. Doesn't that make sense to do it that way and save on paper?

I can understand doing separate contracts if you had separate custody like half-siblings attending. I also understand if the hours were different that it would be easier to have separate contracts to identify the rates, but this scenario could also have a table/chart for each child too. Since I have them pay weekly whether they all attend or not, it just doesn't make sense to break down into separate contracts and more paperwork. Please let me know how much paperwork you have to do and do you have to make copies or do you provide two of the same and have both signed when you keep one and they keep one copy?
I am not understanding what you mean about filling out a lengthy handbook....I only have one handbook and parents go over that WITH me during the interview and get one copy to keep. I do not put handbooks in files (?) The contract I use is one single page and is filled out one per child. That goes into each child's file folder.

Yes, it makes a lot of paper work and signing on the parents part but isn't it the same for school? Each child has forms to be filled out for each grade level or each individual file on school so why is it so weird for child care to do the same? Heck, I had to write two separate checks for lunches for my kids when they were in school because they each ahd their own lunch accounts....

Seems pretty common to have to fill out one form per child in most situations, Doctor, dentist, clubs, sports waivers, ect...

Beside, in my state EACH child is required to have their own file, records, enrollment forms, imm forms, etc etc... I cannot just write two or three names on one sheet of paper. So a family of 3 would have 3 separate enrollment forms, 3 separate food prgram forms, 3 separate imm forms and 3 separate contracts to fill out.

On another note, I have a couple sibling groups who have different fathers so therefore have different info that is required.
Abigail 06:02 PM 12-31-2011
I put my responses in bold. I'm just trying to figure everything out before I sign up the first kids so I keep it all the same and not change my mind after one or two enrollments. LOL

Please keep giving out ideas.

Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I am not understanding what you mean about filling out a lengthy handbook....I only have one handbook and parents go over that WITH me during the interview and get one copy to keep. I do not put handbooks in files (?) The contract I use is one single page and is filled out one per child. That goes into each child's file folder.
My handbook is five pages and I have a place on the last page for parent and provider signature. Tom Copeland I think recommended it just as an extra form of proof besides the contract that the parents read it. I do go over each section in general with people when they're here, but other than that I send it home with them to keep once they enroll and also sign a copy for me to keep in their file. I have the handbook be signed and kept in each family's file because I may change certain things in my handbook as time goes and not update everyone's incase I do them at separate times of the year. I'm more likely to update the contract regularly but keep the handbook the same for over a year anyways.

Yes, it makes a lot of paper work and signing on the parents part but isn't it the same for school? Each child has forms to be filled out for each grade level or each individual file on school so why is it so weird for child care to do the same? Heck, I had to write two separate checks for lunches for my kids when they were in school because they each ahd their own lunch accounts....
Do you have parents write out separate checks too? I can understand a daycare center that is large have checks be written out per child, but not a home daycare. I only want one check from each family. It all comes out of the same account.

Seems pretty common to have to fill out one form per child in most situations, Doctor, dentist, clubs, sports waivers, ect...

Beside, in my state EACH child is required to have their own file, records, enrollment forms, imm forms, etc etc... I cannot just write two or three names on one sheet of paper. So a family of 3 would have 3 separate enrollment forms, 3 separate food prgram forms, 3 separate imm forms and 3 separate contracts to fill out.
Yes, each child will have two forms individually--that is why I have separate files for each child, but don't understand having multiple handbooks/contracts for the same family IF both parents are the same for all the kids. My food program form can have 3 or 4 kids on one form so that would go in the oldest child's file too. Immunizations would be separate just like the two forms required by the state, but the bulk (handbook/contract/food program) forms would be in one of the siblings files.
On another note, I have a couple sibling groups who have different fathers so therefore have different info that is required.

Meeko 08:48 PM 12-31-2011
It's been a hundred years ago (or close)....but I remember going to a class that had a attorney come in and talk to us about contracts etc. He told us to have a separate one for each child even if we had all siblings.

Evidently, in the case of a dispute, they are more ironclad than a group one. I wish I could remember his reasoning...but I know it made sense at the time and I've done individual ones ever since.
Blackcat31 07:45 AM 01-01-2012
Originally Posted by Child Care:
I'm just trying to figure everything out before I sign up the first kids so I keep it all the same and not change my mind after one or two enrollments. LOL

My handbook is five pages and I have a place on the last page for parent and provider signature. Tom Copeland I think recommended it just as an extra form of proof besides the contract that the parents read it. I do go over each section in general with people when they're here, but other than that I send it home with them to keep once they enroll and also sign a copy for me to keep in their file. I have the handbook be signed and kept in each family's file because I may change certain things in my handbook as time goes and not update everyone's incase I do them at separate times of the year. I'm more likely to update the contract regularly but keep the handbook the same for over a year anyways.

You can eliminate the need for having to keep a copy of your handbook in each file by simply having one piece of paper that says something like "I have read and agree to the rules and regs in Miss C's handbook." and then on the same page I have a place to fill in hours needed and payment agreed upon and when it is due etc. The parent signs, gets a copy and only that one piece of paper goes in their file. Most the time the only disputes are related to payment and agreed upon hours so they are really the only points I include on the contract page. The rest of the things in contracts aren't ever realy things I have ever had to go back and prove to anyone (even after 2 decades in this business...)so I, personally see no point of keeping copies of everything else....kwim?

Do you have parents write out separate checks too? I can understand a daycare center that is large have checks be written out per child, but not a home daycare. I only want one check from each family. It all comes out of the same account.

Nope, parents only write one check but in the memo line it is shown how much is for who. So for example, one DCM's memo line (AND HER RECEIPT) reads $240 for Megan/$125 for Emily but the check is written out for $365. Does that make sense...I always think I explain things in a complex way...LOL!

Yes, each child will have two forms individually--that is why I have separate files for each child, but don't understand having multiple handbooks/contracts for the same family IF both parents are the same for all the kids. My food program form can have 3 or 4 kids on one form so that would go in the oldest child's file too. Immunizations would be separate just like the two forms required by the state, but the bulk (handbook/contract/food program) forms would be in one of the siblings files.

Our old food program forms used to hold more than one child but recently switched to one form per child. SO now one from per child in everything I do.

Like I said, my state requires it so I really have no choice in the matter and have just learned to condense so it isn't such a waste of paper but is still meeting the required regulations for forms per kid.

Please keep giving out ideas.
I answered in bold.
Crazy8 07:14 PM 01-01-2012
I only have one 6 page document - handbook and contract in one. Yes, if a family is enrolling 2 children they get 2. Same as if I was giving one set to two different families - I don't consider it a waste of paper. I have a separate file on EACH CHILD in care - includes all their medical forms, etc. so I want this contract in each folder.

I do not take school age children either but unless the children are twins there is a good chance one will leave my daycare before the other - again, just the simplicity of having one file archived and the other still active.

Parents do not pick up each child at different times -why on earth would they do that????? The front page of my contract/handbook states their rate and hours for each child - this info would be the same for both children. Also, if I did give a discount for sibs (which I don't) I would give it on the older child and it would be reflected on that front page only for that child. The parents can do the math and write me one check per week if they'd like -but again, then when the older one goes off to school I am not giving a reduced rate for the 2nd child.

Been doing this over 10 years and this is the way I found it to work best for me.
Abigail 03:20 AM 01-02-2012
Originally Posted by LittleDiamonds:
I have a separate file on EACH CHILD in care - includes all their medical forms, etc. so I want this contract in each folder.

I do not take school age children either but unless the children are twins there is a good chance one will leave my daycare before the other - again, just the simplicity of having one file archived and the other still active.
This makes sense to me. How often do you update contracts or raise rates? I was going to do it every year whenever I felt it was a good time to raise rates or changed closed days or something. I guess this would be better if I didn't update my contract often.
Tags:contract, documents, fees, professional, siblings, wording
Reply Up