Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Thanks...I Am Standing Up For Myself!!!
busymommy0420 11:57 AM 02-22-2012
Thanks ladies...You all have inspired me to stop taking crap from the parents!!! My contract requires 2 weeks notice for vacation days usage. I just had a parent tell me they are off all next week and would like to use their 5 days. I just e-mailed and said NO that they could not use them because I was not given proper notice. I said their child is more then welcome to come next week since they will be paying for care regardless. I lost a DCG last week to a provider half my rate so I am nervous about confrontation however I am not going to be taken advantage of anymore! Thanks all for having backbones and taking charge of your business. I am about 11 months into this journey and am still learning the ropes.
MissK 12:00 PM 02-22-2012
Good for you!!!
Lilbutterflie 12:02 PM 02-22-2012
Yay! Good for you!! It always feels good to stick to your policies, right?

I am 3 years into this journey, and still getting the backbone, too. But this forum has really helped give me the support I've needed to stand up for myself, too.

CheekyChick 12:20 PM 02-22-2012
Can I give you my (probably unwanted and unpopular) opinion?

I think it's soooooo important to have a backbone and to stick to your policies. BUT, I also think it's good to be flexible. If a parent of mine didn't give their two week notice for vacation, I would just remind them of my policy and tell them (in the future) to PLEASE inform me in advance.

If someone pays late (rarely happens) I tell them "no worries" and have never charged a late fee. 95% of my parents don't take advantage - thank goodness.

I feel in this economy it is important to give a bit. Most of my new clients are referrals and that is because my parents are happy. I would just hate to see you (or anyone on here) lose a wonderful family due to something that isn't a huge deal.

Please don't throw cyber-tomatoes at me.
mrsp'slilpeeps 12:40 PM 02-22-2012
Originally Posted by CheekyChick:

I think it's soooooo important to have a backbone and to stick to your policies. BUT, I also think it's good to be flexible. If a parent of mine didn't give their two week notice for vacation, I would just remind them of my policy and tell them (in the future) to PLEASE inform me in advance.

If someone pays late (rarely happens) I tell them "no worries" and have never charged a late fee. 95% of my parents don't take advantage - thank goodness.

I feel in this economy it is important to give a bit. Most of my new clients are referrals and that is because my parents are happy. I would just hate to see you (or anyone on here) lose a wonderful family due to something that isn't a huge deal.

. yes, yes, yes.
daycare 12:51 PM 02-22-2012

lol love the cyber tomatoes....

I also agree with this too. I base everything on a case by case basis.

If it were a family that was always good about everything else and just plum scott forgot, then I would do as suggested here and let them have it this time, but let them know out front next time if I don't have a two week notice, I will not honor it.

But on the other hand great job at standing up for yourself, you need to do what works for you and your business...
CheekyChick 01:12 PM 02-22-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
lol love the cyber tomatoes....

I also agree with this too. I base everything on a case by case basis.

If it were a family that was always good about everything else and just plum scott forgot, then I would do as suggested here and let them have it this time, but let them know out front next time if I don't have a two week notice, I will not honor it.

But on the other hand great job at standing up for yourself, you need to do what works for you and your business...
Since I am VERY forgetful, I think I will use your "plum scott forgot" line. Very cute. LOL!!!
busymommy0420 05:24 PM 02-22-2012

No tomatoes...but they did this in September too and I was flexible then allowing them to use 5 VAC days with no notice. It is $150 I had no notice and like you said it is hard times not just on them but all around. I am flexible all the time with late fees, if they are a day late I do not charge a fee. I am also flexible with late pick ups and have opened up to evening and weekend care to help families out. I will let you all know what they say. Thanks...this forum has helped.
Texasjeepgirl 06:59 PM 02-22-2012
I am 20 years into this journey...
and honestly.. it took me almost all of those years to become who I am now...
with my business policies...
I do believe in trying to maintain and promote good business between my clients and myself.. but.. I am also very... very CLEAR about ALL of my policies at the VERY BEGINNING...so that you do NOT have issues like this later on..
IF this family has already pulled the NO NOTICE thing once before...THERE IS NO WAY I would allow it this time...
I know you don't want to LOOSE a client.. I don't love loosing clients either.. BUT.. I also don't like RUINING CLIENTS by allowing them to BREAK MY POLICIES...and that is EXACTLY what you would be doing if you allowed it... you would be to blame for the client KNOWING they can walk all over you and your policies..
STICK to it....

busymommy0420 12:26 PM 02-27-2012
Well DCM said DCG will be here today and tomorrow and then off the rest of the week. I will get the check tomorrow for the week.

I am glad I did not roll over on this, I need two weeks notice for vacations!!!!
littlemissmuffet 11:15 AM 02-28-2012
Originally Posted by Texasjeepgirl:
I am 20 years into this journey...
and honestly.. it took me almost all of those years to become who I am now...
with my business policies...
I do believe in trying to maintain and promote good business between my clients and myself.. but.. I am also very... very CLEAR about ALL of my policies at the VERY BEGINNING...so that you do NOT have issues like this later on..
IF this family has already pulled the NO NOTICE thing once before...THERE IS NO WAY I would allow it this time...
I know you don't want to LOOSE a client.. I don't love loosing clients either.. BUT.. I also don't like RUINING CLIENTS by allowing them to BREAK MY POLICIES...and that is EXACTLY what you would be doing if you allowed it... you would be to blame for the client KNOWING they can walk all over you and your policies..
STICK to it....

100% agreed!!

There is a HUGE diffrence in being flexible and letting people walk all over you!
MizzCheryl 06:41 AM 03-10-2012
Pat yourself on the back. You should be proud that you stuck up for yourself. These parents that are always needing you to make special exceptions for them often times take advantage. parents that appreciat and respect you as their child care provider would not even ask. I let a parent do the same before the week after christmas she called and said he would be back the next week. she didn't even call till Tuesday and was supposed to pay on monday. Then April of the next year dad picks up the son and says see ya week after next. I was like why? Oh didn't Mom tell you we are taking next week off. I said no so he say well we are. Not evenas much as a word. Needless to say I called and she was required to pay because no notice was given. Parents that always need special circumstances expect it of everyone.
Tags:2 week notice, backbone, contract, vacation policy
Reply Up