Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Employee Contract and Handbook
MarinaVanessa 05:23 PM 09-11-2012
This one is for those of you with employees.

I'm looking for sample contracts for an employee hopefully containing things like duties and responsibilities, wage, what to wear etc. Maybe even a solid non-compete clause. Anyone care to share their employee contracts?

Also anyone care to share their employee handbook? Or do you prefer to have everything listed in your contract instead? Thanks in advance!
daycare 05:33 PM 09-11-2012
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
This one is for those of you with employees.

I'm looking for sample contracts for an employee hopefully containing things like duties and responsibilities, wage, what to wear etc. Maybe even a solid non-compete clause. Anyone care to share their employee contracts?

Also anyone care to share their employee handbook? Or do you prefer to have everything listed in your contract instead? Thanks in advance!
hey girly how are you...

so I hit up everyone about a month ago on this and got ZERO response.

I have been working on one, as I still have yet to find affordable workers comp that will underwrite for an in home daycare in CA. it's been a nightmare.

Who do you have underwriting for you if you don't mind me asking??

Also, I can share with you what I do have as far as my job description and then I have started writing off of that my EHB
MarinaVanessa 06:53 PM 09-11-2012
I am well thanks and enjoying newly wedded bliss lol.

I did see the thread that you started a while back and I guess I was hoping that this time around I could have some luck. Hopefully someone will respond and we'll both get answers lol.

I don't have an underwriter as of yet as I am still in the process of getting all my info and facts straight ... yes, i'm one of those. I have to get all my ducks in a row first. And yes, it's been a horrid horrid headache. Damn my sister for wanting to get a full-time job ... now I have to hire somebody
daycare 07:12 PM 09-11-2012
You and your sister own your daycare together?

Are you also a large daycare?

I would kill my sister if I worked with her. Lol

I am like you. Everything lined up before employee walks in my door
MarinaVanessa 07:30 PM 09-11-2012
No we don't own it together and I'm not a large daycare. I just have her come for a few hours a week a couple of days a week to help me out so that I can get cleaning done and appointments etc. She stays out of my way and I stay out of hers so we don't go at it lol.

I like having someone here for a few hours and was thinking that I could even possibly have a student volunteer from the college child development department for experience etc. I did that a while back but when the last girl left I didn't bother looking for a new person since my sister was here. Now that she's leaving and that i have to find someone (whether volunteer or employee) I want to have a contract. I've searching the internet for hours but all I find is VERY generic and basic contracts. None have a non-compete. I wish I had a copy of Nan's.
daycare 07:48 PM 09-11-2012
not to sound rude, but legally, you needed to have workers comp even with your sister as you employee. If I am wrong about this, please let me know where you get the information from......

I have been working on my AA in business admin and I learned that in the state of CA, unless the person owns the company with you, and they are working for you, they are an employee. That means you have to have a minimum of a $1 million dollar policy. Most insurance companies will not let you have any form of volunteers, because if they have an accident while helping you, they would be able to file a claim against you.

I have been trying to get through all of this red tape for almost 4 months now. CA SUCKS when it comes to small businesses. It's like they don't want you to grow.
MarinaVanessa 08:06 PM 09-11-2012
Not rude at all. I should specify. My sister is underage and lives with me and I have legal custody of her therfore legally she qualifies as like one of my children (I claim her on my taxes and such). I don't pay her exactly, it's more like she helps me around the house for room and board, does laundry, cleans and supervises the DC kids occasionally while I'm here so that I can get my stuff done around the house in peace and go to appointments and such (while my husband is here also).

I had mentioned something like this to a lawyer friend of my hubby's and he had said that I'll be fine as long as it continues to be sporatic (as in she just helps to help because she lives here just as I my daughter helps around the house because she's a part of the family) etc. It should constitute and equal the same as if it were only my husband helping me. I don't pay my husband either or have workers comp for him even though he helps me occasionally so that I can get stuff done. if I didn't have custody of her and she didn't live here I bet it would be a whole other ballpark. I'm also not sure how things will change once she turns 18 considering that she'll still be living here. It's a good question to ask thanks for bringing it up
daycare 08:10 PM 09-11-2012
Not rude at all. I should specify. My sister is underage and lives with me and I have legal custody of her therfore she qualifies as one of my children (I claim her on my taxes and such). I don't pay her exactly, it's more like she helps me around the house for room and board, does laundry, cleans and supervises the DC kids occasionally while I'm here so that I can get my stuff done around the house in peace and go to appointments and such (while my husband is here also).

I had mentioned this to a lawyer friend of my hubby's and he had said that I'll be fine as long as it continues to be sporatic and while she's underage. It should constitute and equal the same as if it were only my husband helping me. I don't pay my husband either or have workers comp for him even though he helps me occasionally so that I can get stuff done. I know that if I didn't have custody of her it would be a whole other ballpark
SAFE...........lol
snbauser 03:50 AM 09-12-2012
Ladies - I have an employee handbook that I don't mind sharing. Message me your email address and I will send it.
Sprouts 04:45 AM 09-12-2012
I wrote a same thread and nothing

This is the workers comp board for Cali, I think each state has a private state wide board that provides it. I pay about $600 per year for this, but depends on ur and ur employees income

http://www.dir.ca.gov/dwc/

I also went on google and typed daycare assistant employee handbook and found really good ones and used what I liked, it's mostly centers, but since you are hiring it's pretty much the same and they have stuff u wouldn't even think of see below

http://abrighterdayqlc.com/documents...nal%20Copy.pdf

http://childrenscenter.sa.ucsb.edu/C...ndbook2005.pdf

This one is shorter and to the point

http://www.sc.edu/childrenscenter/do...ndbook0607.pdf

Pm if you have any questions

Oh and u can download Snap payroll for iPhone or iPad and you plug in employee hours and rate and it tells you how much to deduct for your state. If you have Costco membership you get a good discount on intuit payroll online and quick books online if you use that.

Hope this helps
Sprouts 04:48 AM 09-12-2012
EMPLOYEE HANDBOOK AGREEMENT FORM

I _________________________ (PRINT FULL NAME) have read and agree to all of the terms and conditions of ************ Employee handbook (last updated on ______).
If I leave *******and begin working at another child care or open my own child care within 1 year of my last day of employment, I will be required to reimburse the provider for all training paid for on my behalf.

Non-Competition Agreement: I will not seek or take employment with any of the clients of ********** for at least one calendar year post employment without prior approval of the licensed provider. If I do, then I understand there will be a fine of $1,000.00.

My starting wage will be $_____________/hour

I will be required to complete training hours as required by the State of NY for persons working in a licensed child care facility.

I agree not to use a cell phone while driving or running errands for *********

Employee Signature __________________________________ Date: ___________

Main Provider Signature: ______________________________ Date: ___________
Keep a copy of this form and Employee Handbook for your records
MarinaVanessa 07:33 AM 09-12-2012
Thanks Sprout. I'll start reading the samples you put up.

I was thinking about the non-compete clause. I see that the sample you posted says one calendar year, is this the norm or can it be longer? One year is not that long a time ... I was thinking 2 or 3 years, is that too long?

Also I was thinking about whether to add a mileage radius to the clause as in you can't start your own daycare within 5 miles of my home or something. I mean if i hire someone and they leave to start their own daycare 5 miles away from my home they aren't in the same part of the city as I am so they wouldn't be in direct competition to me whatsoever. No sense in making them wait a period of time if they won't be a threat to my daycare business KWIM?
Sprouts 09:00 AM 09-12-2012
Thanks Sprout. I'll start reading the samples you put up.

I was thinking about the non-compete clause. I see that the sample you posted says one calendar year, is this the norm or can it be longer? One year is not that long a time ... I was thinking 2 or 3 years, is that too long?

Also I was thinking about whether to add a mileage radius to the clause as in you can't start your own daycare within 5 miles of my home or something. I mean if i hire someone and they leave to start their own daycare 5 miles away from my home they aren't in the same part of the city as I am so they wouldn't be in direct competition to me whatsoever. No sense in making them wait a period of time if they won't be a threat to my daycare business KWIM?
You can say

Non-Competition Agreement: I will not seek or take employment with any of the clients of ********** for at least 3 years without prior approval of the licensed provider. If I do, then I understand there will be a fine of $1,000.00.

I think that's a good idea the mile radius, you can make whatever rules u want
daycare 09:05 AM 09-12-2012
Originally Posted by Sprouts:
I wrote a same thread and nothing

This is the workers comp board for Cali, I think each state has a private state wide board that provides it. I pay about $600 per year for this, but depends on ur and ur employees income

http://www.dir.ca.gov/dwc/

I also went on google and typed daycare assistant employee handbook and found really good ones and used what I liked, it's mostly centers, but since you are hiring it's pretty much the same and they have stuff u wouldn't even think of see below

http://abrighterdayqlc.com/documents...nal%20Copy.pdf

http://childrenscenter.sa.ucsb.edu/C...ndbook2005.pdf

This one is shorter and to the point

http://www.sc.edu/childrenscenter/do...ndbook0607.pdf

Pm if you have any questions

Oh and u can download Snap payroll for iPhone or iPad and you plug in employee hours and rate and it tells you how much to deduct for your state. If you have Costco membership you get a good discount on intuit payroll online and quick books online if you use that.

Hope this helps
for the year $600.00 WOW who is that through??

I was quoted $1800 for one year with a max pay out of only $8500 in annual pay...
MarinaVanessa 10:01 AM 09-12-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
for the year $600.00 WOW who is that through??

I was quoted $1800 for one year with a max pay out of only $8500 in annual pay...
Yes I'm interested too. Care to share the info, I'd like a quote as well
Sprouts 11:32 AM 09-12-2012
They charge 84 cents per 100 you make, so this year has been super slow for me , so the best bet is to shop around. My current policy is $750 per year? That's just for Workmens comp though, then theres the business insurance, and then unemployment insurance through department of labor. Paying on the books is such a pain in the you know what.
MarinaVanessa 01:15 PM 09-12-2012
Originally Posted by Sprouts:
They charge 84 cents per 100 you make, so this year has been super slow for me , so the best bet is to shop around. My current policy is $750 per year? That's just for Workmens comp though, then theres the business insurance, and then unemployment insurance through department of labor. Paying on the books is such a pain in the you know what.
I'm starting to really find out just how big of a pain it really is. And I just have a small daycare. I suppose it just feels good to have someone help me a bit but maybe I might just wait until I get my large license and actually need the extra hand to hire someone.

Thanks for the App suggestion. Too bad MM doesn't have a payroll feature.
daycare 04:43 PM 09-12-2012
see.....CA sucks...lol

I took on a large lic. except I don't take SA, so I can only have 12. so I had to double my capacity and only get to make an additional $750.00 a month after all is said and done.
daycare 04:47 PM 09-12-2012
Originally Posted by snbauser:
Ladies - I have an employee handbook that I don't mind sharing. Message me your email address and I will send it.
YOU ROCK thanks a million!!!!!!!
Sprouts 06:10 PM 09-12-2012
I'm starting to really find out just how big of a pain it really is. And I just have a small daycare. I suppose it just feels good to have someone help me a bit but maybe I might just wait until I get my large license and actually need the extra hand to hire someone.

Thanks for the App suggestion. Too bad MM doesn't have a payroll feature.
I hear you, you really have to sit down and see if the extra costs are worth it or not. It is great having help though, try and see how many more kids you might need to help off set those costs. If you can find someone trust worthy like a good friend then u know where I m going with that
snbauser 08:40 PM 09-12-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
YOU ROCK thanks a million!!!!!!!
You are welcome. Hope it helps.
MarinaVanessa 03:39 PM 09-13-2012
This is great stuff!!! Thanks a bunches!! It's a great guideline for me and I can tweak the parts that don't work for me!! I really appreciate it.
Unregistered 05:53 PM 01-13-2013
Hi can you share with me the daycare handbook?
( thatybr01@gmail.com )
Thanks !
tat
tattletales 07:52 AM 06-26-2015
I messaged you
Fruitloops1 06:36 AM 08-13-2015
I am in the process of trying to create my own. I do have a few to base mine off of and I also found this

http://childcareaware.org/sites/chil...centers1_0.pdf

that seems pretty helpful.

Would anyone be interested in reading mine over when it is all done?
This is so daunting, I keep finding myself putting it off. UGH.
Tags:contract, handbook, handbook - sample
Reply Up