Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>:! Provider Terminated The Contract And Charged Me After I Called Licensing
Unregistered 05:51 PM 07-02-2015
My kids 4 and 3.5 where going to a privet school wick I have registered them 6 months ago.
After 3 weeks at the camp I found out they are forcing my kids to sleep and don't let them leave the Matress for 2 hours or more even if they are crying and don't want to sleep .
Director said its the law . I put her 3 way with licensing and she found out licensing think it's horible thing to do .
She called me and told me I must be out of school and I need to leave . She said she will rebound me .
She did ... But took off the two weeks that suppose to be two weeks notice (even that I said that if I pay for it I will attend !) also she is not giving me back the yearly registration .
I believe I need it all back as she not me terminated the contract ... Right ?
Thriftylady 06:27 PM 07-02-2015
It depends what your contract says. But generally enrollment fees and/or yearly registration fees are never refundable.
Blackcat31 07:55 AM 07-03-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
My kids 4 and 3.5 where going to a privet school wick I have registered them 6 months ago.
After 3 weeks at the camp I found out they are forcing my kids to sleep and don't let them leave the Matress for 2 hours or more even if they are crying and don't want to sleep .
Director said its the law . I put her 3 way with licensing and she found out licensing think it's horible thing to do .
She called me and told me I must be out of school and I need to leave . She said she will rebound me .
She did ... But took off the two weeks that suppose to be two weeks notice (even that I said that if I pay for it I will attend !) also she is not giving me back the yearly registration .
More than likely she was well within her rights to terminate you.

She provided a refund for the final two weeks... so she does not have to provide care if she refunded the money.

You are not entitled to your registration fee back...you DID register and your children DID attend (doesn't matter how many or how few days, they ATTENDED. period) so that money is gone and used.

Were the nap routines and requirements not discussed during the interview process? Did you ask the provider about the law or did you discuss with her your personal concerns about your children not needing to nap or talk with her about the alleged dirty mattresses?

If you simply asked her about the law/regulation etc and didn't express your concerns with her....I'd be upset as the provider since I strive to maintain open honest communication at all times. If you just asked about the regulation but didn't express your concerns and then went straight to licensing, I'd have termed you too and refunded your final two weeks payment and called it good.

I'm sorry this happened to you but there are many details missing from the story for me to say anything more than that.
Thriftylady 09:41 AM 07-03-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
More than likely she was well within her rights to terminate you.

She provided a refund for the final two weeks... so she does not have to provide care if she refunded the money.

You are not entitled to your registration fee back...you DID register and your children DID attend (doesn't matter how many or how few days, they ATTENDED. period) so that money is gone and used.

Were the nap routines and requirements not discussed during the interview process? Did you ask the provider about the law or did you discuss with her your personal concerns about your children not needing to nap or talk with her about the alleged dirty mattresses?

If you simply asked her about the law/regulation etc and didn't express your concerns with her....I'd be upset as the provider since I strive to maintain open honest communication at all times. If you just asked about the regulation but didn't express your concerns and then went straight to licensing, I'd have termed you too and refunded your final two weeks payment and called it good.

I'm sorry this happened to you but there are many details missing from the story for me to say anything more than that.
Well said once again! For my childcare, ALL children under 5 are required a rest time. That said, I do after half an hour let children who are not sleeping have quiet activities (books, lacing cards etc) ON THEIR COT. I tell all parents that at the interview. I know I have had two parents not use me, because they didn't want their 3 or 4 year olds to lay down. That is fine, their choice but my policy is my policy.
mommyneedsadayoff 01:45 PM 07-03-2015
Registration fees are not usually refundable, so I doubt you will get it back. Did you guys ot speak of naptime rules and such? I don't understand why you would want to leave them there for the final two weeks if you were so dissatisfied with care that you called licensing. Anyone who calls licensing on me would be termed immediately. It's not personal, it is business. You would be a liability to my business, therefore, I wouldn't want to work with you anymore.
Unregistered 08:47 PM 07-05-2015
The manager of the facility has been giving out schedule that says 12:30-2:00 "coloring quietly , music and books rest time". This is not what she was doing with the kids. She told me back on white "kids crying or not cannot leave the matters unless they need to use the bathroom !". My son told me at my last day "mommy I was a good kid today ! I cried do quitly so I didn't wake up the other kids !!!". It looks like all the replying are not from normal parents who care about how their kids - it's from providers who don't like licensing and their rules of bot forcing kids to do anything - for sure not forcing them to sleep ! If you have a day care and you don't provide an area for non sleepers you are violating the law .licincing don't care if you have the room or the staff for it !
About my story I just want my money back for the time I didn't attended and for registration. Their plan is not matching Thor action . That'st all.
Thriftylady 03:39 AM 07-06-2015
The manager of the facility has been giving out schedule that says 12:30-2:00 "coloring quietly , music and books rest time". This is not what she was doing with the kids. She told me back on white "kids crying or not cannot leave the matters unless they need to use the bathroom !". My son told me at my last day "mommy I was a good kid today ! I cried do quitly so I didn't wake up the other kids !!!". It looks like all the replying are not from normal parents who care about how their kids - it's from providers who don't like licensing and their rules of bot forcing kids to do anything - for sure not forcing them to sleep ! If you have a day care and you don't provide an area for non sleepers you are violating the law .licincing don't care if you have the room or the staff for it !
About my story I just want my money back for the time I didn't attended and for registration. Their plan is not matching Thor action . That'st all.
I care about my kids AND my daycare kids. But rules are rules. Most of us have to have a rest time for our kids. Kids under five here who do not want to sleep are given quiet activities on their cots. Books, beading, lacing cards etc. If they cry because they are expected to stay in one place and be quiet I can't really do much about that. I am assuming you knew when you signed up there was a rest period, and they are common. And no, I will not accept you if you call licensing. If you make that call, then you don't trust me enough to bring your child to me. My contract says no refunds as well. Once you sign the contract you are in a contract. I understand you are upset, but perhaps next time read the contract better and ask more questions. I wouldn't let any child run around and disturb the others at rest time either.
Josiegirl 04:12 AM 07-06-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I care about my kids AND my daycare kids. But rules are rules. Most of us have to have a rest time for our kids. Kids under five here who do not want to sleep are given quiet activities on their cots. Books, beading, lacing cards etc. If they cry because they are expected to stay in one place and be quiet I can't really do much about that. I am assuming you knew when you signed up there was a rest period, and they are common. And no, I will not accept you if you call licensing. If you make that call, then you don't trust me enough to bring your child to me. My contract says no refunds as well. Once you sign the contract you are in a contract. I understand you are upset, but perhaps next time read the contract better and ask more questions. I wouldn't let any child run around and disturb the others at rest time either.
I agree with this. I need the older kids to be quiet so the younger ones can sleep. I provide quiet activities for them. I believe even the older kids need to recharge their bodies halfway through the day. I have never called naptime nap time, it's always been quiet time here, and I tell dcks they do not have to sleep but they do need to rest their bodies. And yes, I've had dcks who didn't like dc just because of quiet time. But for the good of the group, they still need to be quiet. I had a 12 yo fall asleep last week! Some days they just need it.
mommyneedsadayoff 06:21 AM 07-06-2015
That is pretty rude. I care about my kids and my daycare kids (my 6 and 3 year old still lay down for rest everyday). I don't care to have licensing called on me because of naps. That is a problem you could have handled a lot differently, including just pulling your children from a daycare that didn't fit their needs and moving on to something else. I don't have to provide an area for non nappers, because I don't watch non nappers. If your child doesn't nap, they don't fit my program. I will say, though, if you paid for the last two weeks of care, you should have been able to use it. I guess I misread, because I thought you said she refunded you the money for the last two weeks. If i were me, I would have refunded the money and not provided care any longer. The registration fee is non refundable in almost all cases, so I wouldn't even fight that battle.
Leigh 07:43 AM 07-06-2015
You are incorrect about the law (in my state) requiring me to provide a place for non-nappers. I am NOT required to do so. My policies were written after consulting a pediatrician and child therapist. BOTH said that while I can't force a child to sleep, I can and SHOULD force them to lie down to rest their bodies. My pediatrician stresses the need for children under 6 to nap every day, and told me that they NEED to lie down whether they sleep or not. I do what the person with the medical degree and the PhD tell me to do. ALL kids spend at least 60 minutes lying down, awake or not. Kids don't cry when they do it, they look at books and play with small, quiet toys if they don't nap. But, you know what? Almost every day, every child naps because they NEED it. My question is why would you NOT want your very young children to take a nap, or at least a rest? Evidence shows the positive benefits of it, doctors say that it's necessary, so why not just encourage the kids to take a rest?

If any of my clients had called licensing to cry about my policies rather than just dealing with me about it, I'd have kicked them out with no refund, too. It's immature and spiteful, and I don't deal with people like that.
daycarediva 11:31 AM 07-06-2015
4 and 3.5 would have a STATE REQUIRED rest period. I allow non nappers to do quiet activities on their mats AFTER they have rested quietly for 30 minutes.

It sounds like YOU didn't interview and ask questions. 3 and 4.5 should still be napping. Did you even ask about the nap procedures?
AuntTami 01:14 PM 07-06-2015
My 3 and 4 year olds nap. My 6 and 7 year old school age kids "rest" but guess what? They end up napping too. I wouldn't have refunded you one single dime more than what you got. You didn't get the last two weeks because it's due whether your children are in attendance or not.
LysesKids 06:02 PM 07-06-2015
I use to take older kids... now only 24 months or younger, but I agree, you would have gotten no refund from me either; Nap/rest time is mandatory in almost every state for kids 5 and under - and no, I am not required to have a separate room for those that don't want to nap. My business, my rules - many are based off state licensing laws

BTW, if you called licensing on me because of my policies, I would tell you bye bye too because it's a liability issue
Tags:contract, nonrefundable, terminated
Reply Up