Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Childcare Contract
Sessaboo1 12:32 PM 03-12-2018
I have been a childcare provider for 32 years, 30 of them licensed (gave up voluntarily). I have always had a contract, without issues parents. I have a family that has decided to leave and gave their 4 week notice. Then to my surprise state shows up 10 days later, for being over 1 child, which was their child, they are leaving, so problem solved. When they started 1 contract was when I licensed, the 2nd child wasn't. I think they are trying to get out of paying me what they owe. Just wondering if the contracts will hold up.
storybookending 02:03 PM 03-12-2018
I am confused to what the issue is? Did you have to tell them they couldn’t return anymore because of being over one child?
Blackcat31 02:34 PM 03-12-2018
Originally Posted by Sessaboo1:
I have been a childcare provider for 32 years, 30 of them licensed (gave up voluntarily). I have always had a contract ,without issues parents. I have a family that has decided to leave and gave their 4 week notice. Then to my surprise state shows up 10 days later, for being over 1 child, which was their child, they are leaving so problem solved. When they started 1contract was when I licensed, the 2nd child wasn't. I think they are trying to get out of paying me what they owe. Just wondering if the contracts will hold up.
Why specifically is it their child that put you over ratios?

If you are limited to a certain amount of children, you are responsible for maintaining ratios.

If this family was a current family and scheduled as normal, I don't see how it was their child that put you over ratios... other than the line of thought that they are leaving your care. Still ratios are your responsibility.

As for the contract, if they gave notice as you require but then YOU decided they can't return (I assume because you feel/know it was them that reported you) then I think you are out the money for the remaining weeks.

Any time care is not available (but it was part of their normal schedule) I feel its not appropriate or acceptable for a provider to bill for services. If the family still has the option of using services during their 4 week notice period but the family is choosing not attend or use those services, then it would be appropriate to charge.

I think depending on the situation the contract is definitely enforceable but with the limited number of details you included in your post, it's really hard to say.
Unregistered 04:19 PM 03-12-2018
As far as ratios, it was my fault. I have a child leaving for preschool and they haven't left yet, she begged me to take the baby because her other child has been here for two years. She knows I was reluctant,but out of the goodness of my heart I took the baby, knowing it was for a short time I would be over. I would have never done it if I knew she was going to do this. I have a pretty good feeling it's about trying to get out of the contract. Should have known right before they signed, he said " I have to be honest, we want a discount". I didn't give them one, a spot is a spot. If they didn't want to pay it they shouldn't have signed. They are still coming for the 4 weeks, but I have a feeling they are going to get out of the money the contract says they owe. I have done nothing but provide care and love to their children. They never gave any inclination they were thinking about leaving. They should have communicated if they had a problem.

Sessaboo1
Sessaboo1 04:42 PM 03-12-2018
Last post was from Sessaboo1.
Blackcat31 04:56 PM 03-12-2018
Are you pre-pay?
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 05:17 PM 03-12-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
As far as ratios, it was my fault. I have a child leaving for preschool and they haven't left yet, she begged me to take the baby because her other child has been here for two years. She knows I was reluctant,but out of the goodness of my heart I took the baby, knowing it was for a short time I would be over. I would have never done it if I knew she was going to do this. I have a pretty good feeling it's about trying to get out of the contract. Should have known right before they signed, he said " I have to be honest, we want a discount". I didn't give them one, a spot is a spot. If they didn't want to pay it they shouldn't have signed. They are still coming for the 4 weeks, but I have a feeling they are going to get out of the money the contract says they owe. I have done nothing but provide care and love to their children. They never gave any inclination they were thinking about leaving. They should have communicated if they had a problem.
I guess my question is, how will they still owe money if they continue to come for the 4 weeks? Won't they just pay for the time they are using, what else would they owe?

Also, will you still be out of ratio for those 4 weeks? If they reported once, they will report again. I don't think I'd risk that and just let them go now.
mommyneedsadayoff 08:24 PM 03-12-2018
Originally Posted by TheMisplacedMidwestMom:
I guess my question is, how will they still owe money if they continue to come for the 4 weeks? Won't they just pay for the time they are using, what else would they owe?

Also, will you still be out of ratio for those 4 weeks? If they reported once, they will report again. I don't think I'd risk that and just let them go now.
I don't understand either. If they come, they pay. Prepay will stop them from running out on what they owe.

Two things...if they reported you, why are you still caring for the kids? And second...dont go out of ratio for ANY family. Licensed or not, follow your state regulations and never entrust your families to protect your business...that is your job.
amberrose3dg 04:00 AM 03-13-2018
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
I don't understand either. If they come, they pay. Prepay will stop them from running out on what they owe.

Two things...if they reported you, why are you still caring for the kids? And second...dont go out of ratio for ANY family. Licensed or not, follow your state regulations and never entrust your families to protect your business...that is your job.

All of this! I wouldn't go over on my numbers for anyone. Parents do try and get over. I would terminate immediately if I suspected they called licensing on me. I would not trust to care for their child(ren) another minute. What else could they do or say? I would just accept the fact that I was out the money and move on.
Play Care 04:59 AM 03-13-2018
Pretty much what everyone else said.

But I would caution you to never assume you know who turned you in. Often it's the people you LEAST expect.
Tags:contract, ratio - over limit
Reply Up