Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Things I Have Learned!
Boymom 12:39 PM 02-11-2016
This is totally random! I started my daycare last July and these are some of the things I have learned...
1. I will never take in a child younger than 18 months ever ever again! Babies are blessings, but I just prefer the older kids. Just not my cup of tea!
2. I have always been a people-pleaser, but I need to stand firm with what my contract says. I spent so much time typing up that contract and I need to enforce what it says!
3. Always go with my gut feeling with a potential family. I had a feeling they were flaky and they were!
4. I didn't realize how much snot and spit up I was going to see! So gross.
5. It is sometimes hard to fill a spot, and it's very stressful, but things always work out.

What about you?
Thriftylady 01:05 PM 02-11-2016
Originally Posted by Boymom:
This is totally random! I started my daycare last July and these are some of the things I have learned...
1. I will never take in a child younger than 18 months ever ever again! Babies are blessings, but I just prefer the older kids. Just not my cup of tea!
2. I have always been a people-pleaser, but I need to stand firm with what my contract says. I spent so much time typing up that contract and I need to enforce what it says!
3. Always go with my gut feeling with a potential family. I had a feeling they were flaky and they were!
4. I didn't realize how much snot and spit up I was going to see! So gross.
5. It is sometimes hard to fill a spot, and it's very stressful, but things always work out.

What about you?
I still struggle with this one. But know it is important.
hope 01:13 PM 02-11-2016
1. To put my family first. This is a business.
2. To give it my all but if my all can't make it work, term asap.
3. To be paid upfront, have everything in writing and signed.
4. I am not a doctor, a therapist, a mind reader, a fortune teller, the bank, grocery store or charity. I care for children amd my business is run by me, not the parent. Parents need to seek out help from others in their field of specialty.
ChelseaB 01:34 PM 02-11-2016
- To put myself and my family first because no matter how much a family may try to act like my friend, they're not. They will do whatever is in their best interest in a heartbeat with no regard for me.

- Don't suffer through watching a child. If I dread their presence because of their actions, I do my best, but I also know when to call it quits. Then mom needs to pick up.

- Don't do financial favors unless absolutely certain of your choice. Parents don't dictate my income. I do. If I cut a break, it's because I want to. Not because i was guilted into it.

Those are the first that come to mind it's a tricky business, but overall, I thoroughly love my job!
midaycare 03:17 PM 02-11-2016
1) I prefer kids over 12 months, but will take 1 baby at a time.

2) I like doing a curriculum, but I don't stress about it anymore. Some days we learn more from play. And some days we need a lot more structure.
childcaremom 02:04 AM 02-12-2016
I have learned so much and changed a lot of my business practices just in the past year and these are the things that stick out to me:

1. I will not be a good fit for all families and children. It is ok (and good practice) to term if it is not working out. Learned this the hard way this go-round. I have had a handful of dcks with 'challenging' behaviours that I worked too hard and too long to fix. Never again. I almost burned out.

2. I, too, prefer having a group who is 18 months +. I am also learning that the year before a child starts school is challenging and perhaps not for me. Might be different if everyone was closer in age but currently that is not my group make up and.... yeah. Some days are long.

3. I do all my prep work/cleaning/etc during rest period. My off time is my off time. It seems so obvious but has been such a revelation for me this past year.

4. Teething is the reason everything is wrong in the world.

5. My instincts are 99% spot on.

6. What happens in my house during my care is the only thing that I have control over. Their behaviour HERE is what I need to base my decisions on. Dcps can tell me that a child does x, y or z at home, but if the child is not able to do it here (eg: napping well and independently) then it isn't going to work. Another common issue: But he doesn't do that at home. See #1: I will not be a good fit for all families.

7. Most parents will not prepare their child for group care. I found this really hard to understand and accept. Especially when a child is having a difficult transition. I read it here and it is now my mantra: Dcps made this choice for their child. Helps me get through some days.
Josiegirl 03:06 AM 02-12-2016
1. Something I am still learning is it's easier to start off strict(with the parents) and ease off later if you want, rather than the other way around.

2. Don't be afraid to speak up.

3. It's perfectly fine to say 'go play' 'not right now' 'I'm busy' 'NO'.

4. Never be afraid to request your payment on time.

These things have always been difficult for me because I don't like to cause waves or lose families. And I still wanna slap myself silly sometimes because I catch myself doing the same things over and over.
'I forgot my checkbook, can I pay you tomorrow? Sure, no problem.'
'Can dd borrow this?' Sore no problem.
Dd brings crackers/goldfish/pretzels in to eat even though we'll be having breakfast with 30 minutes. I should hand it right back to dcm but I don't.

I am such a wuss. But really most of the time my current dcps are wonderful, respectful and appreciative. It's my own lack of speaking up that makes me angry.
Ariana 06:48 AM 02-12-2016
Imma quote Beyonce here:

"I think I've realized that business and being polite don't match. You can be fair, but me being polite was not being fair to myself."

This has been the biggest lesson for me and probably a lot of business owners. I need to do what is right for me always. I am fair when I need to, but I am not going to be taken advantage of.
Annalee 09:49 AM 02-12-2016
I have learned that no matter how much time, money, love, etc. I put into my child care program, very few will ever understand why nor appreciate it!
Reply Up