Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Freaking Out!
Ac114 08:24 AM 07-20-2018
One of my kids came today with bites all over his body. I think they resemble bed bug bites. I’ve tries loading pictures but it won’t allow me to do so from my phone. So what would you ladies do? Require a doctors note saying they aren’t? I don’t want to be accusatory and that can tarnish a relationship real quick but he’s the only one with bites. 6 on the back of one leg. 3 on one arm and 2 on the other. All close in range. If someone can tell me how to post pictures on here from my phone, I will.
lovemykidstoo 08:30 AM 07-20-2018
Did you ask parent about it? I had a dcb with bites all over and turns out they were mosquito.
Blackcat31 08:30 AM 07-20-2018
Originally Posted by Ac114:
One of my kids came today with bites all over his body. I think they resemble bed big bites. I’ve tries loading pictures but it won’t allow me to do so from my phone. So what would you ladies do? Require a doctors note saying they aren’t? I don’t want to be accusatory and that can tarnish a relationship real quick but he’s the only one with bites. 6 on the back of one leg. 3 on one arm and 2 on the other. All close in range. If someone can tell me how to post pictures on here from my phone, I will.
Don't imply the bites are anything.

Simply text the parent and tell them they need to pick up immediately as you noticed their child has a rash or irritation to his skin and regulations dictate you cannot have a child in care that has an undiagnosed skin rash.

Let them know the child cannot return to care until a doctor provides documentation of what said rash is. Make sure parents understand you are not asking the doctor to say the child is or isn't contagious and can attend care as that is your call as the business owner but you need an actual written diagnosis.

If they arent able to get one, then I would exclude child until rash/bites are 100% gone.
Ac114 08:32 AM 07-20-2018
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
Did you ask parent about it? I had a dcb with bites all over and turns out they were mosquito.
I haven’t yet because I didn’t want to imply they were anything if they were just mosquito bites. I’m going off google pictures.
Cat Herder 08:49 AM 07-20-2018
I would ask the parent if they knew what caused bites. Then go from there.

How is the DCK? Are the bites bothering him?

Flea bites look similar.
lovemykidstoo 08:49 AM 07-20-2018
I haven’t yet because I didn’t want to imply they were anything if they were just mosquito bites. I’m going off google pictures.
When my dcb had the mosquito bites, I just said oh my gosh did he get nailed by the mosquitos last night? That opened up the conversation. That way you're not accusing them of bed bugs. Could be alot of things really. Here we have things called noseeum bugs. They are so tiny you can't really see the bugs (hense the name) but bite and leave marks all over.
Ac114 08:51 AM 07-20-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I would ask the parent if they knew what caused bites. Then go from there.

How is the DCK? Are the bites bothering him?

Flea bites look similar.
They do have dogs so it’s possible. He hasn’t really been scratching them.
Cat Herder 08:58 AM 07-20-2018
They do have dogs so it’s possible. He hasn’t really been scratching them.
I would, most likely, fill out a boo boo report stating "Child arrived with what appears to be small insect bites (describe areas, include printed photo through "attach image" if possible). I cleaned the area, applied hydrocortisone cream per parent consent form and continued to monitor throughout day. Child does not seem to be in any discomfort."

Sign, date then have parent sign at pick-up. Keep one copy for your files, another for theirs. Parents won't want you to have many of those in his file so should get on top of it pretty quick.
lovemykidstoo 12:11 PM 07-24-2018
Wondering what happened with the bites
Tags:bed bugs
Reply Up