Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Arriving in Pajamas
VWMom 06:34 AM 02-26-2016
I have a child who arrives at my home at 5am. Her mom brings her in pajamas and then she changes into street clothes when she wakes (she is 4).
Lately I have had two different families arriving with kids still in their pajamas. These kids arrive at 8am I am sick of these other kids not being dressed and ready to start the day when they get here. The mothers send other clothes for them to be changed into. One mother commented that her son wants to wear his pajamas because the other child gets to wear hers.
How would you handle this situation? There is nothing in our contract about arriving in clothing, simply because I thought parents would dress their kids before going to daycare. Silly me
Blackcat31 06:37 AM 02-26-2016
Originally Posted by VWMom:
I have a child who arrives at my home at 5am. Her mom brings her in pajamas and then she changes into street clothes when she wakes (she is 4).
Lately I have had two different families arriving with kids still in their pajamas. These kids arrive at 8am I am sick of these other kids not being dressed and ready to start the day when they get here. The mothers send other clothes for them to be changed into. One mother commented that her son wants to wear his pajamas because the other child gets to wear hers.
How would you handle this situation? There is nothing in our contract about arriving in clothing, simply because I thought parents would dress their kids before going to daycare. Silly me
I don't care what kids are wearing.

It's not a fashion show so as long as they can move easily in whatever they are wearing, they wear what they arrived in.

I will NOT change kids into their day clothes upon arrival NO MATTER how early they arrive.

Heck, I've got parents that drop off in pajamas.
Mad_Pistachio 06:55 AM 02-26-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I once picked up in PJ's long, exhausting night + long, exhausting day = I don't bother changing for getting out of the car for 3 minutes. still surprized I didn't forget to brush my teeth and hair that day...
Annalee 06:57 AM 02-26-2016

It's not a fashion show so as long as they can move easily in whatever they are wearing, they wear what they arrived in.

I will NOT change kids into their day clothes upon arrival NO MATTER how early they arrive.

I had one come yesterday that came in a tank top dance tutu.....the mom said clothes were in bag....NOPE I didn't change her....told mom that evening when she asked about it....I do not change clothes....they play in what they come in!
finsup 06:57 AM 02-26-2016
I'd send home a note stating kids needed to be dressed, ready for the day upon arrival unless they arrive before 6am (or whatever time you chose). I would have the dcg who arrives in jammies change by 8 (assuming she's awake?) Just because by 8 our day has started. I don't know, I was always taught you wear clothes unless it's bedtime, or your sick, that's my attitude now too But that's just me!
As for the dcm, I would just explain that the other child comes at 5 and well, tell dcb he can change into jammies at home. The whole "being fair doesn't mean everyone is equal, it means everyone gets what they need" speech.
Thriftylady 07:03 AM 02-26-2016
The way I see it you have two options.

Option 1: Let them come however they come. If they can dress themselves later and you want to deal with it fine. If they can't dress themselves and/or you don't want to deal with it, they stay in the clothes they came in.

Option 2: Send out a notice saying all children arriving after X time in the morning need to come fully dressed and ready for the day. When mom says Billy wants to wear PJs because Sally does, explain to mom that the situation with Sally is different than Billy's, but for $X amount added to Billy's weekly rate you will be happy to let him come in PJs and get changed. Usually when you attach a fee to something, it solves the problem. If it doesn't, well at least you are getting paid for the extra service you are providing.
MunchkinWrangler 07:05 AM 02-26-2016
"Billy, if Suzy jumped off a bridge, would you?" J/k...kind of..not really.

I understand the one that is arriving really early, fine I'll let that slide.

It's funny how parents teach their kids conformity at such a young age and let them rule the roost on top of it.

I personally prefer children to be ready for the day, that includes not being in pajamas because it is not my job to dress the child for the day i.e. change them out of their pajamas. I so far have only had one issue and used conformity(all the other kids arrive dressed for the day) as a reason.

I don't give a hoot what they wear but I do prefer easy to manage and comfortable clothes during the day.
Miss A 07:08 AM 02-26-2016
I do not change clothes in the morning. If they are dropped off in their pajamas, they stay in their pajamas. I have high expectations for parents that include being able to change their child's overnight diaper and properly dress them for the day before arrival.
Leigh 07:37 AM 02-26-2016

I have two kids who arrive a few days a week at 5:30 in their pajamas (one is still asleep). They are 2 & 4. Both are able to dress themselves. If they want to change clothes, they do, if not, they go home in PJ's. I don't do it.
Lovisa 08:22 AM 02-26-2016
I have 2 that arrive very early (5:30am). I guess it's just me but I don't mind that they arrive in jammies. They go back to sleep here after they get dropped off. No biggie to change them into their day clothes after they wake for good a few hours later. Now, if kiddos were being dropped off at 7 or 8, still in jammies, that would be annoying lol.
thrivingchildcarecom 08:58 AM 02-26-2016
Sometimes parents get confused. I had a mom arrive this week and say that "Sally" still had on her pee pull-up from overnight and needed help changing it. I was already serving breakfast. I didn't miss a beat. I asked mom to go to the bathroom and help her daughter with that.

Quite simply I think I would send out a "policy change" notice and say that unless a child is arriving prior to 6 am (or whatever time you think works) they need to be dressed and ready to start the day. DONE.
childcaremom 09:03 AM 02-26-2016
I have it in my policies that a child arrives ready for the day (dressed, eaten breakfast, clean diaper).

I would do as above suggested, and tell mom that unless your child arrives before x time, that you expect them to be ready for the day, which means dressed.
NillaWafers 12:21 PM 02-26-2016
Just make sure you do a really messy paint project while they're all in their jammies

But I would just tell them that you need them dressed, regardless of what Suzy Q does.
spedmommy4 01:22 PM 02-26-2016
Originally Posted by NillaWafers:
Just make sure you do a really messy paint project while they're all in their jammies

But I would just tell them that you need them dressed, regardless of what Suzy Q does.
I'm honery like this too. I wouldn't change them. My handbook says kids need to be dressed and ready for the day. If we paint, they are going to paint in whatever they come to school wearing.
bubblegum 01:32 PM 02-26-2016
I used to be one of these parents!! Lol, now that I'm a provider my mind has changed Honestly, I think they are just being lazy, that's why I did it. Now my dd could dress herself so it's a tad different.
I would just sent out an addendum adding that info into your policies
Unregistered 02:53 PM 02-26-2016
My 3 year old wears pjs all the time. I consider them much more wearable for children than skinny jeans and a collard button down! My older boy used to sleep naked and get dressed in the morning, in pjs. I just want them to be: comfy, able to run jump climb, and able to be pulled off and on easily enough for toileting. Who cares is the manufacturers market it as sleeping clothes? If I repackage it as 'playwear' and dye it in designs that aren't moons and stars, would that help? I have never once brought a child to care in an unchanged over night diaper. If that is your actual concern, you should say so. If it's 'pajamas' that bother you, I am wondering why.
Blackcat31 03:08 PM 02-26-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
My 3 year old wears pjs all the time. I consider them much more wearable for children than skinny jeans and a collard button down! My older boy used to sleep naked and get dressed in the morning, in pjs. I just want them to be: comfy, able to run jump climb, and able to be pulled off and on easily enough for toileting. Who cares is the manufacturers market it as sleeping clothes? If I repackage it as 'playwear' and dye it in designs that aren't moons and stars, would that help? I have never once brought a child to care in an unchanged over night diaper. If that is your actual concern, you should say so. If it's 'pajamas' that bother you, I am wondering why.
Especially when most providers I know wear sweat pants, scrubs and/or yoga pants for those SAME reasons so why shouldn't a child be comfy and able to freely move too??

Pj pants or leggings? Long sleeve pajama top, long sleeved shirt? I just don't see the difference. Most the actually "clothing" that kids wear that is comfortable is the same as pj's except for the fire resistant thing. Otherwise the same cartoon characters and basic functions are the same in my opinion.

Overnight diaper? Um, yeah that would be a problem but for different reasons.

TOTALLY agree about the skinny jeans and collared shirt!!
MunchkinWrangler 03:37 PM 02-26-2016
I honestly expect what my DCP's expect. I have honestly had comments made because my son was still in pajamas(he had just crawled out of bed) and have been asked if we had a rough morning. To which I've said Yes!!! Preparing for daycare is hard work. Anyway I also blanch if the kids are dressed too fancy because I know they will get dirty somehow throughout the day.
ColorfulSunburst 03:55 PM 02-26-2016
for me pajamas=underwear or at least very privetу style of home clothes. No pajamas in my daycare. There are a lot of very comfortable type of clothes for getting out of home.
Unregistered 04:49 PM 02-26-2016
Years ago...(like 25) I had two children come at 5:30 in the morning. Their wonderful mom gave them a bath a night, put on clean sweatpants and sweatshirt in place of pajamas. Got them up, brought them to me ready for the day. Genius!
ChelseaB 04:54 PM 02-26-2016
I'm honestly in the boat of I don't care at all what a child wears to my home daycare. Unless I specifically requested certain types of clothes for an activity that day, I could honestly care less. Most of my kids arrive in sleepers, but we don't have anyone to impress -- it's just us spending the day together! Finally, My age groups always manage to get dirty or "crusty" during the day from food or play and I have to clean them up and change them anyway. My toddlers aren't the cleanest of eaters! Lol
Unregistered 06:48 PM 02-26-2016
Originally Posted by ChelseaB:
I'm honestly in the boat of I don't care at all what a child wears to my home daycare. Unless I specifically requested certain types of clothes for an activity that day, I could honestly care less. Most of my kids arrive in sleepers, but we don't have anyone to impress -- it's just us spending the day together! Finally, My age groups always manage to get dirty or "crusty" during the day from food or play and I have to clean them up and change them anyway. My toddlers aren't the cleanest of eaters! Lol
You mean you couldn't care less?
Unregistered 06:53 PM 02-26-2016
Obviously. Don't be obtuse.
Blackcat31 07:00 PM 02-26-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Obviously. Don't be obtuse.

laughing with you not at you
Unregistered 07:53 PM 02-26-2016
It's so much fun when the unregistereds disagree with themselves.
Unregistered 07:54 PM 02-26-2016
No. It's not. Really it's not.
Unregistered 08:10 PM 02-26-2016
I guess. I'm usually calcare but I don't like to sign in. Even if I wanted to, I can't remember the password half the time. I don't need a special name for people to believe what I say has value. So, I was the one who said 'sell me the gd burger', and 'don't be obtuse' does that somehow make what I said more honest? More believable? More reasonable? How about less so, if you don't care for the calcare persona? I find all of the forum name login stuff unnecessary for me. I read and throw in my 2 cents every few days and I have for many years! What does it matter? I find many of the conversations interesting and informative and sometimes shocking! Sometimes I reply. Sometimes I don't. I'm sure you don't care if I do or not. So what is with the animosity towards a user not logged in? Yeah there's a nutso once in a blue moon that tries to correct grammar or make some absurd assertion to get people riled up, but usually unregistereds are normal providers and parents that don't need to be recognized.
Mad_Pistachio 12:42 PM 02-27-2016
*sighed and went to open Google Translate to see what "obtuse" means*
live and learn...
Tags:arriving in pajamas, arriving in underwear, pajamas
Reply Up