Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Starting a Home Daycare in Lubbock Texas
Julia 10:10 PM 02-07-2014
I just moved to the Lubbock, Texas area and I am wanting to start a "Listed Family Home" Daycare. My focus will be on teaching Pre-K. I am aware that I can only have three kids in my home. I need some advice on starting my business, such as tuition rates, etc.

Thank you.
Evansmom 08:19 AM 02-08-2014
Hi there! Congrats on starting your new business. I ran a home preschool for almost 6 years in Austin and I'd be glad to share my experience with you.

As far as setting my rates, first I called around or emailed many centers and home daycares in my area. I found out what they offered and what they charged. Then I decided what I would charge by comparing their programs to mine. I personally charged more than the other home daycares around me for two reasons. One was that I offered more than they did in terms of space, toys and experiences and two was that I really sold the low ratio as a plus for their children. A low ratio means more individual care and also being in a home daycare means no teacher turn over which sadly happens so much in a center and can be very damaging to young children who need continuity.
So all that to say I believed I offered quality care and I charged what I believed it was worth. And I got it.

It took me quite a while to get a contract going that I really liked. It went through many revisions. I'd be happy to send it to you as an example. PM me with your email and I would be happy to share.
Maria2013 03:01 PM 02-08-2014
congratulations and good luck to you
melonieb 06:03 PM 02-08-2014
Congrats and welcome to the forum. I have an in home daycare and I live in Houston
Julia 10:34 PM 02-08-2014
Thank you, Maria.
Evansmom 01:34 PM 02-09-2014
Ok just pm'd and emailed ya!
Julia 09:41 AM 02-11-2014
Got your e-mail, Evansmom. Thank you so very much for your willingness to help me get started with my business. That is so kind and sweet of you! I really appreciate it. It's disappointing though, that no one from Lubbock offered advice.
Evansmom 03:02 PM 02-11-2014
You're welcome and good luck!
I don't know if there are any others here from Lubbock but maybe someone closer to you will chime in soon.
Tags:start a daycare business, starting a daycare, texas member
Reply Up