Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sick Kid
BentleysBands 04:10 AM 12-02-2010
mom txts me at 5am to say dcb woke up puking at 4a...but dcg will be coming w/dad...i wrote back and said, no, they both need to stay home. she then calls and wants to know why cant dcg come, shes not sick? because she is IN the home with a sick brother and it doesnt need to come here if possible . she said a few more stupid things so i came back with, you cant you just keep them both? lol stupid parents !

i THEN said that both cant return tomrrow since the puking is going on today. boy was she pissed! oh well! other parents dont want their kids exposed esp during the christmas season...
boysx5 04:23 AM 12-02-2010
oh I"m having the same issues I sent one home yesterday for puking and everyone of the kids here have had it. Told the dad she couldn't come back today so far they have not called to say they are staying home so I expect to see her here today and I'm going to tell her no your not allowed I am going away this weekend I don't want to get sick or my own kids to get it. They really are clueless at times.
QualiTcare 04:24 AM 12-02-2010
well, if he was throwing up at 4am then the sister was probably in bed and might not have really been exposed. plus, not everything is contagious. if one of my kids is sick, i send the other one to school. if i'm sick, i send them both to school. if i'm sick, my husband goes to work. i wouldn't think it made much sense either.

maybe she planned on taking the boy to the doctor. if she pays for daycare, why not send the girl and not have to take her long and expose her to the puking boy and make her spend the day in the doctor's office.

the lesson she learned from that is to make up a different excuse next time as to why one kid isn't coming and the other one is. i guarantee just one of them won't be sick ever again.
DancingQueen 04:36 AM 12-02-2010
I've done that. If my daughter is puking I still send my son to school. etc.
AfterSchoolMom 04:44 AM 12-02-2010
Bentleys, I'm with you. We've had the stomach virus making the rounds in my area, and kids are dropping like flies. My pediatrician said that the kids are actually contagious for several days before they start throwing up, so the DCG will most likely end up puking before long.
nikia 04:50 AM 12-02-2010
When I worked outside the home I always kept both kids home when one of mine was sick. It made more sense to me instead of running out with sick child to drop off and pick up my healthy child. Plus I think if one gets it the other will ay least in my house that is how it seemed to work. Stomach flu has hit my house too just had a dcb throw up all over my couch a hour ago. Fun times
DancingQueen 05:01 AM 12-02-2010
I wanted to come back to this because I think if they are both not school aged I would have kept both of my children home - since I'd be home anyways and it just makes sense. But as they get older.. I have FOUR children of my own. If I kept all of them home whenever one was sick they'd never go to school...LOL
nikia 05:11 AM 12-02-2010
Originally Posted by DancingQueen:
I wanted to come back to this because I think if they are both not school aged I would have kept both of my children home - since I'd be home anyways and it just makes sense. But as they get older.. I have FOUR children of my own. If I kept all of them home whenever one was sick they'd never go to school...LOL
Yes I agree this is the first year both of mine are in school full time. When they were both in daycare I kept both home if one was sick but this year I send the healthy one to school.
QualiTcare 05:14 AM 12-02-2010
well, you never know. she could've been taking the sick one to the doctor, and i see nothing unreasonable about not wanting to take healthy kid along with puking kid.

or maybe she had a grandparent that was going to keep the sick one and she was still going to work? i've done that too. my son if he wasn't okay to go to daycare would go to his grandma's, daughter go to daycare, and i'd go to work.

it depends on the type of virus, but with the stomach virus it's often not contagious until the moment you actually feel ill. so, it would actually be better to send the kid away - of course there's no way to know without going to the doctor and knowing the virus type.
boysx5 05:19 AM 12-02-2010
well mine who I sent home yesterday is back today they said she didn't puke at all at home now who knows for sure and I wasn't going to get in a fight with the mom I just told her if she is acting strange I will call for them to come get her. Everyone else here has had and germs are everywhere my one pet peeve is when children are not feeling well they want to be with their parents so thats sad that they can't be in their own home.
BentleysBands 05:24 AM 12-02-2010
well thats my policy, if one dck is home, parent must keep them all home. i have taken my own sick and healthy kids to the doc together...its called being a parent!

doesnt matter if your paying or not, u pay whether ur here or not so it doesnt matter....and being in the same home i dont want to chance calling a n few hours saying dcg has it now, u need t ocome..
QualiTcare 05:33 AM 12-02-2010
Originally Posted by BentleysBands:
well thats my policy, if one dck is home, parent must keep them all home. i have taken my own sick and healthy kids to the doc together...its called being a parent!
true. only sorry parents would dream of being able to comfort their vomiting child in the doctor's bathroom without the healthy one tagging along. DUH!

doesnt matter if your paying or not, u pay whether ur here or not so it doesnt matter....and being in the same home i dont want to chance calling a n few hours saying dcg has it now, u need t ocome..
doesn't matter to who? of course it doesn't matter to you because you're getting paid. it matters to the parent who is paying for the child who is NOT sick that's not ALLOWED to come.
DancingQueen 05:43 AM 12-02-2010
I don't think you should waiver at all on your policy. I don't think any of us should LOL
Crystal 05:44 AM 12-02-2010
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
Bentleys, I'm with you. We've had the stomach virus making the rounds in my area, and kids are dropping like flies. My pediatrician said that the kids are actually contagious for several days before they start throwing up, so the DCG will most likely end up puking before long.
Wow, if that were true, we'd all be sick all of the time. And, if it true, then I see no reason to not allow all of the children, even the sick one, come to care, since they were all exposed for several days prior to him vomiting.....who is your pedi? that's ridiculous.
Crystal 05:48 AM 12-02-2010
I can see the parents and the providers side on this. The parent wants to be able to care for and comfort their sick child without having to entertain the healthy one, I call that being a caring parent. let the healthy one go have fun, while the other gets some loving one on one time. I can also see the parent not wanting to keep the healthy one around the sick one.

For the provider, I understand wanting the other child, who may potentially become ill not to come because there is the possibility of getting others sick. BUT, if she doesn't have a fever, then I doubt she's contagious. Just because sibling is ill, doesn't mean she will get it.....my three kids have rarely gotten sick from one another over the years as they are confined to their bedrooms when they are sick.

I hope the parent doesn't "retaliate" by finding other care.....but I am sure she'll get over it!
AfterSchoolMom 05:52 AM 12-02-2010
Originally Posted by Crystal:
Wow, if that were true, we'd all be sick all of the time. And, if it true, then I see no reason to not allow all of the children, even the sick one, come to care, since they were all exposed for several days prior to him vomiting.....who is your pedi? that's ridiculous.
My point was not that they don't get exposed (because we can get exposed anywhere, at anytime), but that once one child presents with vomiting, if it IS that nasty stomach bug, then it is almost a certainty that the siblings will be vomiting before too long.

I'm not talking about a common cold or more minor illness. I'm saying that in this case, I think Bentleys did the right thing. I don't play around with puking!

My pediatrician is excellent, BTW.
MyAngels 05:57 AM 12-02-2010
Having one sibling here while the other is home sick happens all the time here. I can't remember the last time I had to send someone home who came down with the same thing their sick brother/sister had, so apparently limiting their exposure does help.

Just my opinion, but I'd be upset if my provider wouldn't allow me to bring a perfectly healthy child to daycare. Unless, of course, I didn't have to pay for the day.
Crystal 06:00 AM 12-02-2010
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
My point was not that they don't get exposed (because we can get exposed anywhere, at anytime), but that once one child presents with vomiting, if it IS that nasty stomach bug, then it is almost a certainty that the siblings will be vomiting before too long.

I'm not talking about a common cold or more minor illness. I'm saying that in this case, I think Bentleys did the right thing. I don't play around with puking!

My pediatrician is excellent, BTW.
and my point was, you said your pedi stated that they are contagious for SEVERAL days before vomiting. That simply is not true, unless they have a fever, then they shouldn't be in care anyway.

It makes no sense.

I don't play around with puking either. Or, any illness for that matter. But, technically, I do not see how you can turn away a healthy child who has no symptoms, who is not a threat to the other children's health, without pissing off a parent.
QualiTcare 06:03 AM 12-02-2010
well, like i was saying it would depend on the type of virus causing the stomach bug/flu. you can be contagious a couple/few days before you even get symptoms, OR you can not be contagious until your symptoms actually appear.

it depends on the virus causing the sickness and there's no way to know without the doctor doing a test.

therefore - it would be best to keep healthy people away from the sick ones as much as possible bc if it's the virus that isn't contagious until after symptoms occur - it's highly likely you can keep from getting sick.
QualiTcare 06:06 AM 12-02-2010
But, technically, I do not see how you can turn away a healthy child who has no symptoms, who is not a threat to the other children's health, without pissing off a parent.
exactly....especially if you're making them pay. it's one thing having to pay for the sick child, but the healthy one? uh, no.
countrymom 06:18 AM 12-02-2010
this makes no sense to me. I would be angry as a parent that you would want me to keep both kids home esp. if one is healthy. The problem is, is that you can't say that they puked because its a virus. My own children would puke because they ate something, had nothing to do with a virus. I also had a kid puke here because he ate too much, I clean it up and lysol everything and life goes on.
I know you don't want to waiver from your policy, but I would have allowed the healthy child to come. I think green snot being wiped everywhere is way more contagious than anything else.
BentleysBands 07:01 AM 12-02-2010
thats why we all have our own policies and if she cares to leave because of it, good bye, doesnt bother me. i stay full anyways. and the providers around here would do the same as i did.

its funny the responses that have been shared cuz i surely remember some ppl complaining about parents not working,shopping ,etc and still bringing kids to daycare.....funny so many are quick to judge or share what THEY would do and harp on someone elses desicion they made differently.....this place never seems to amaze me
DancingQueen 07:04 AM 12-02-2010
I hope you know I wasn't judging.
I really think that if those are your policies you should stick to them. Like I said in my other thread. We all run our business the way we want and that is the way it should be and if it works for us than great.
I may think someone's policies are insane (not you - or this policy LOL) but it isn't mydaycare - it is theirs. Period.

so seriously - good for you for sticking to your guns - we should all do that a lot more often.
Crystal 07:06 AM 12-02-2010
thats why we all have our own policies and if she cares to leave because of it, good bye, doesnt bother me. i stay full anyways. and the providers around here would do the same as i did.

its funny the responses that have been shared cuz i surely remember some ppl complaining about parents not working,shopping ,etc and still bringing kids to daycare.....funny so many are quick to judge or share what THEY would do and harp on someone elses desicion they made differently.....this place never seems to amaze me
Just as an FYI, You've NEVER heard me say that parents shouldn't bring their kids when they aren't working, cuz I don't care if they do!

And, I wasn't judging, I say to each his own, I just understand how a parent would be upset about it, but I also understand your side of it.
BentleysBands 07:06 AM 12-02-2010
Originally Posted by DancingQueen:
I hope you know I wasn't judging.
I really think that if those are your policies you should stick to them. Like I said in my other thread. We all run our business the way we want and that is the way it should be and if it works for us than great.
I may think someone's policies are insane (not you - or this policy LOL) but it isn't mydaycare - it is theirs. Period.

so seriously - good for you for sticking to your guns - we should all do that a lot more often.
nope not you

its always the same ones who judge and badger ppl .... if its not something THEY agree with then they have all these 'opinions' ...esp when they dont even watch flipping kids LOL
BentleysBands 07:08 AM 12-02-2010
Just as an FYI, You've NEVER heard me say that parents shouldn't bring their kids when they aren't working, cuz I don't care if they do!

And, I wasn't judging, I say to each his own, I just understand how a parent would be upset about it, but I also understand your side of it.
wasnt referring to you either.....most know exactly the ones i'm referring too so no need to continue...i will by pass those comments from now on...
Crystal 07:10 AM 12-02-2010
wasnt referring to you either.....most know exactly the ones i'm referring too so no need to continue...i will by pass those comments from now on...
oh, cool. thanks for clarifying. I don't want to be called a bad moderator again for sharing my opinions

I hope the kids better soon and no one else gets sick, including you!!!
QualiTcare 07:15 AM 12-02-2010

exactly....and i don't care if parents go shopping or throw a wild party for that matter...not that this is the same issue.
QualiTcare 07:18 AM 12-02-2010
nope not you

its always the same ones who judge and badger ppl .... if its not something THEY agree with then they have all these 'opinions' ...esp when they dont even watch flipping kids LOL
i don't watch "flipping kids" anymore, and i never did "watch" them. i never sat on them either.

yes, i know, as a former childcare provider and a teacher, i can't POSSIBLY understand where anyone is coming from when it relates to children.

does a retired doctor know nothing about medicine? does a lawyer who shuts down his practice no longer know the law? funny.
nannyde 08:05 AM 12-02-2010
I've only had a handfull of sib groups in my career but I do not exclude the other child if one is ill.
Unregistered 11:06 AM 12-02-2010
If I have a sick kid and the sibling is healthy (for the moment), then I won't object to the kid coming as long as the parents understand that I will be monitoring the healthy kid's temp. and I'll be looking out for ANY signs of illness and if I see anything out of the ordinary, then I will send the kid home.

I understand that parents don't want to have to pay for childcare for their kids when they are sick, but if they agreed to it initially and signed the contract, then that's their problem.
MyAngels 11:19 AM 12-02-2010
funny so many are quick to judge or share what THEY would do and harp on someone elses desicion they made differently.....this place never seems to amaze me
I must have missed something, as I thought the point of posting a new the thread on a forum was to elicit responses from other members of the forum. Am I mistaken?
misol 11:44 AM 12-02-2010
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
If I have a sick kid and the sibling is healthy (for the moment), then I won't object to the kid coming as long as the parents understand that I will be monitoring the healthy kid's temp. and I'll be looking out for ANY signs of illness and if I see anything out of the ordinary, then I will send the kid home.

I understand that parents don't want to have to pay for childcare for their kids when they are sick, but if they agreed to it initially and signed the contract, then that's their problem.
These are my feelings as well. My policy says that depending on the illness, the sibling of a sick child may also be required to stay home. That way, I can use my discretion on a case by case basis.

I think that since that is Bentley's policy, she did the right thing by sticking to it.
busymomof2 12:55 PM 12-02-2010
I sent a dcb home yesterday with 101.5 fever and vomiting. His dad called me this am and stated that the temp was down and vomiting stopped but he was going to keep the boy home....like he had a choice. In my policy and procedures I state what most of you have, that they can't return after 24 hours symptom free. I'm glad they didn't show up at my door because I would have had to turn them away and I really like this family but man some either don't read the contracts or forget.
Tags:sickness, stomach virus
Reply Up