Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Questionnaire vs Application
Pandaluver21 08:25 PM 10-01-2018
I used to have parents fill out an application before a walkthrough. It gave me an idea of the schedule they were needing as well as some other information about the family. I only once had someone act weird about applying for something before coming...

But I will be going to infants this year, instead of preschoolers, so I changed it... Now I do a questionnaire. This has some of the same information (schedule, names, ages, etc) but also asks some developmental stuff so I can get an idea of where the little one is at.

I have had a lot more push back since switching to the questionnaire. People are not wanting to give me this information until they meet with me.
On the applicaiton I asked for things such as their addresses, phone numbers, even where they work (I think?) and nobody really cared... but now they are not wanting to tell me if their kid can sit up on their own?

Do you do an application? Questionnaire? Nothing? Something else?
Michael 02:07 AM 10-02-2018
Here are some threads regarding Questionnaire: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...ew+-+questions
Blackcat31 08:54 AM 10-02-2018
Originally Posted by Pandaluver21:
I used to have parents fill out an application before a walkthrough. It gave me an idea of the schedule they were needing as well as some other information about the family. I only once had someone act weird about applying for something before coming...

But I will be going to infants this year, instead of preschoolers, so I changed it... Now I do a questionnaire. This has some of the same information (schedule, names, ages, etc) but also asks some developmental stuff so I can get an idea of where the little one is at.

I have had a lot more push back since switching to the questionnaire. People are not wanting to give me this information until they meet with me.
On the applicaiton I asked for things such as their addresses, phone numbers, even where they work (I think?) and nobody really cared... but now they are not wanting to tell me if their kid can sit up on their own?

I have always used a questionnaire of sorts and never had any issues with parents not wanting to fill it out or answer but my questions are more about routine and home life etc verses anything developmental.

I guess I don't ask what the child's skill set is or isn't at home or from a parent's perspective because it's usually 100% different in care...kwim? So I stick to asking about family routines and habits and then use my trial period to weed out the families that aren't open and honest about it.
LittleExplorers 09:08 AM 10-02-2018
There is some information I would not want to give out before meeting someone. What questions are they not wanting to answer? Is there a reason you want all the info prior to even meeting them and knowing if it might be a good fit?
Pandaluver21 06:39 PM 10-04-2018
My application asked:
Name, date of birth, needed schedule, parents names, numbers, address, employer, and who the child lives with.
It also asked a basic "what do we need to know about your child", the families emergency contacts, and a signature.

My questionnaire asks:
Child’s Name, Date of Birth, Days/Times needed.
If the child can sit, stand, crawl, walk, etc.
When/how they take naps and bed time/wake time, what they sleep in/with.
If they are breast/bottle fed, finger foods, baby foods, etc. Or if they have any allergies.
Then it asks where their child has been previously, how they adjust to change, and why they left their previous care.

My questionnaire is based off of one I found online. It asks different questions, but is actually shorter than my application was.
Blackcat31 07:02 AM 10-05-2018

Okay re-reading your original post...what do you mean by push back? Are they (prospective parents) specifically saying negative things about being asked these questions? Or just not replying at all?

Also when you say parents aren't wanting to tell you if their kid can sit up do you mean they are just leaving the question blank or are they telling you they don't want to answer these questions?

Personally, if this is info you require PRIOR to an interview/tour I would let parents know you won't schedule a tour until you have a completed form returned. If they return it with unanswered questions, I would send it back to them and say "It looks like you missed a few questions. Please complete the questions thoroughly and return. This information is vital in making sure that our program is the right fit for your child. If you any questions regarding this information, please let me know. Thank you!"

If they can't answer a few questions prior to an interview, imagine how difficult they might be as clients.
Pandaluver21 02:54 PM 10-05-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Okay re-reading your original post...what do you mean by push back? Are they (prospective parents) specifically saying negative things about being asked these questions? Or just not replying at all?

Also when you say parents aren't wanting to tell you if their kid can sit up do you mean they are just leaving the question blank or are they telling you they don't want to answer these questions?

Personally, if this is info you require PRIOR to an interview/tour I would let parents know you won't schedule a tour until you have a completed form returned. If they return it with unanswered questions, I would send it back to them and say "It looks like you missed a few questions. Please complete the questions thoroughly and return. This information is vital in making sure that our program is the right fit for your child. If you any questions regarding this information, please let me know. Thank you!"

If they can't answer a few questions prior to an interview, imagine how difficult they might be as clients.
^ that, that is what worries me! I'm not asking for their bank account and mothers maiden name lol. I'm curious as to why they are having an issue with a simple form and it worries me for later interactions.

Parents have acted interested until I ask them to fill it out, then either just don't respond or have said they do not wish to fill anything out before meeting...

Do others ask for parents to fill anything out before walkthroughs? Should I just forget it all?
Blackcat31 03:02 PM 10-05-2018
^ that, that is what worries me! I'm not asking for their bank account and mothers maiden name lol. I'm curious as to why they are having an issue with a simple form and it worries me for later interactions.

Parents have acted interested until I ask them to fill it out, then either just don't respond or have said they do not wish to fill anything out before meeting...

Do others ask for parents to fill anything out before walkthroughs? Should I just forget it all?
I require parents to fill one out. I've never had any issues with a parent not wanting to...

I'll PM you the one I use.
Tags:applications, infant care, questionnaire
Reply Up