Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Charging Families with Covid
MomBoss 02:50 PM 07-23-2020
If a child is out sick with covid do you still charge?
If a childs parent is sick with covid and keeping their child home with them while they quarentine, do you still charge them?
If a parent is waiting for test results and keeping their child home until results come in, do you charge?
If a child tested for covid and waiting for results while quarentining at home, do yoi charge?

Trying to figure out the right thing to do. I have a parent waiting for test results and keeping the baby home until they find out. I still need to make money and im assuming they want their spot when they come back.

If the test results come back positive for the parent do i tell the other families? My state doesnt say we have to close if a parent or child test positive. Theres only rules about if a child has symptoms.
Reply
happymom 03:23 PM 07-23-2020
(I am a parent, not provider)

Our daycare charges no matter what. I would not ever question it. I'm not sure if some parents do complain or think it's unfair....but I think we (parents) understand that daycare does not have the ability to fill your spot for 14 days with another child.

Stick to your contract. Opening this door and changing your policy leads us to think you are willing to bend your rules in certain circumstances. It's best to make hard lines.
Reply
Cat Herder 04:30 PM 07-23-2020
I only have six slots available to earn an income and stay in business per licensing regulations. Therefore, tuition is due regardless of circumstance or I have to fill their slot.

I feel for them but I can't care more about them than my own family. Daycare is not a charity.

There are plenty of charities out there for children and families. I can't name one for childcare providers. You?
Reply
e.j. 05:29 PM 07-23-2020
When the governor of my state closed most day cares here in March, I chose not to charge parents to hold their spots because I hadn't written anything into my handbook covering a pandemic scenario. I was able to get unemployment coverage so it wasn't a financial hardship for me to be closed. Once I reopen next week and parents begin to return to my day care, I will be charging them whether or not the child is here based on the policies outlined in my handbook that they agreed to. I won't be able to claim unemployment going forward so I'll need those tuition payments in order to remain open for business and be available to them once they or their kids have recovered.

Here, if a one of the parents or kids tests positive, I'll have to contact my town board of health and follow their recommendations for either staying open or closing. I assume they're going to tell me to close for at least 14 days.
Reply
Annalee 08:00 PM 07-23-2020
We have been blessed with grants here for our closings.

My families paid me when I closed (4 weeks total at different times) but I paid them back when I received the grant which was nice.

11 of 12 of my kids are now being paid by essential worker pay through the subsidy program. They paid me three week until the pay began so I would continue to be paid in advance. It ends mid august.

The state has been good to educators here. The sign-up enrollments with unending paperwork has been difficult at times but since it got up and running it has been nice.
Reply
Annalee 08:03 PM 07-23-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I only have six slots available to earn an income and stay in business per licensing regulations. Therefore, tuition is due regardless of circumstance or I have to fill their slot.

I feel for them but I can't care more about them than my own family. Daycare is not a charity.

There are plenty of charities out there for children and families. I can't name one for childcare providers. You?
Same; 52 weeks per year pay no matter what.
Reply
Pandaluver21 09:21 PM 07-23-2020
I charge for the spot, not the time used.
I was recently talking with a parent about this and she said "well if you go on vacation for a week you still have to pay rent on your house, so you know its there when you come back"

A provider friend of mine is currently closed because she has had two separate families have tested positive. She is charging all families half price.
Reply
Mariposa 10:20 PM 07-23-2020
Hard answer.
On one hand-they may be in a hardship financially, and if you're in good financial position, it is a nice, compassionate thing to do. It also could give you bonus points-they may be out off by being charged, but they may really appreciate the financial break and remember that long term as one of the reasons to stay in care.

But, as a business person who needs the money, and you're holding the space, it may be the best option to have them pay full price regardless.

I say do what your heart wants.

I have a 50% off 3 plus days at my discretion for long term-pays for admin cost and holding spot. I don't share why but if a parent just decides to keep a kid home for no reason, or go camping every other week, they pay. If they have 1 vacation a year, the child is sick, etc, then I will deduct funds as an act of compassion. It is not to say people are not compassionate otherwise. I am not having to make ends meet (and when my husband gets laid off in Sept, if he cannot find work, I still won't be making ends meet at all! But we have savings) so I have that ability-many don't.
Reply
Blackcat31 07:05 AM 07-24-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I only have six slots available to earn an income and stay in business per licensing regulations. Therefore, tuition is due regardless of circumstance or I have to fill their slot.

I feel for them but I can't care more about them than my own family. Daycare is not a charity.

There are plenty of charities out there for children and families. I can't name one for childcare providers. You?
This.

I run a business not a charity.

I am not responsible for other families financial obligations due to their choice to have a child/children.

My heart has nothing to do with my income.
Reply
Unregistered 07:57 AM 07-31-2020
Originally Posted by MomBoss:
If a child is out sick with covid do you still charge?
If a childs parent is sick with covid and keeping their child home with them while they quarentine, do you still charge them?
If a parent is waiting for test results and keeping their child home until results come in, do you charge?
If a child tested for covid and waiting for results while quarentining at home, do yoi charge?

Trying to figure out the right thing to do. I have a parent waiting for test results and keeping the baby home until they find out. I still need to make money and im assuming they want their spot when they come back.

If the test results come back positive for the parent do i tell the other families? My state doesnt say we have to close if a parent or child test positive. Theres only rules about if a child has symptoms.
Covid is like any other illness. You exclude and abide by your policies as usual. Now, remember, if the child was in your care prior to testing and exhibiting any symptoms, then your child care has already been exposed. You may/may not need to quarantine, and that, you might go 1/2. IF it is MANDATED that you have to close or exclude, then the right thing to do is to not charge. You can choose to not refund, and just apply toward how many ever weeks necessary.
Reply
Cat Herder 08:12 AM 07-31-2020
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
IF it is MANDATED that you have to close or exclude, then the right thing to do is to not charge.
I disagree.

Personal Morality and Business Ethics are not the same thing. Not even close.

Tuition is an annual rate. They pay it or they lose their slot to someone who will.
Reply
springv 09:34 AM 07-31-2020
When our center closed April 6th-May 1st,2020, our owners didnt charge for the time they were closed and when the reopened the following monday, the started charging tuition again
Reply
happymom 09:37 AM 07-31-2020
Originally Posted by springvalley112:
When our center closed April 6th-May 1st,2020, our owners didnt charge for the time they were closed and when the reopened the following monday, the started charging tuition again
Same.
Reply
Cat Herder 10:00 AM 07-31-2020
In my state, centers who are paid by subsidy were still paid and received grants to reimburse them for not charging parents.

Family providers were not.
Reply
Annalee 10:13 AM 07-31-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
In my state, centers who are paid by subsidy were still paid and received grants to reimburse them for not charging parents.

Family providers were not.
Family and center received the grants here and the extra essential worker pay....bad thing now is that parents have not paid in so long they are freaking out because there is only a few weeks left and too many parents did not make good choices banking on the pay/grants to be extended....like buy new cars
I've heard so many "what are we gonna do; is there any more help out there, etc" in the past few days as families have received state emails with the date the pay will end.

This extra money has created families who want it all for nothing....not happening in my daycare!!!
Reply
Cat Herder 01:33 PM 07-31-2020
Funny you mention that. 3 of my families bought new vehicles and 1 bought a house this month.

I didn't think much of it.
Reply
Annalee 01:42 PM 07-31-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Funny you mention that. 3 of my families bought new vehicles and 1 bought a house this month.

I didn't think much of it.
Crazy, isn't it?

All my "extra" money has went to getting out of debt. I feel much better about all that!

I am near down to my home and utilities and some insurances....and all that is enough. I actually have an emergency fund and so thankful for that.

A positive to covid, I guess, for me.

But I'm old so what do I know???? LOL
Reply
Tags:illness policy - coronavirus
Reply Up