Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Texting
PitterPatter 06:39 AM 05-27-2011
I never thought texting would be a problem but some issues have came up. I have had clients say they sent a text stating they wouldn't be attending daycare, and another say that she would be late for pick up. I don't have problems with receiving anyone elses texts so I assume they are lying. These are becoming more frequent now so that I waive the pick up fees. I am solving that by no longer waiving ANY fees regardless of being informed or not.

Another issue with texting I have is the amount of texts. 1 DCM will text me at least 5 times a day sometimes 10 or more! Last month she sent 142 texts to my phone!! With my own texting of friends and the other client as well it has put me over my texting package. I shouldn't have to take on a larger package costing more money just so she can text me. If she would stop or at least limit them I wouldn't have a problem. I have asked the repeated texter not to text and pick up the phone instead when she has a lot to say. I have also told her I don't want to know her personal life but still the next day there it is "My bf came home late..."

How do I stop this? I thought about ending ALL texts with clients but it doesnt seem fair because it is so convenient but it gets abused. Do any of u have guidelines regarding texting in your handbooks? I'm about to start charging her the .20c per text overage she makes me receive. I can't block texts either I already asked.
dEHmom 06:43 AM 05-27-2011
for the texts regarding not coming or late or whatever, require them to receive a response from you, otherwise, it is not received and they will be required to resend or phone.

as for personal texts, just don't respond to them. you shouldn't be charged for incoming texts, only outgoing. so by not responding, or ONLY responding with what you feel is necessary, then you are limiting your texting. you could also advise this mom, there will be no more texting communication for her, and if she needs to discuss with you, it's over the phone or in person only. also inform her that any overages due to her texting will be added to her bill and care will not continue until all fees are paid in full.
nannyde 06:45 AM 05-27-2011
I love texting. It's the best invention since the internet.

I have unlimited texting so they can text away. I just send them back a "k" when I get it.
mac60 06:45 AM 05-27-2011
Easy, I would be sending out notice at once that starting on this date....no text will be received from daycare families, use the home phone number. I have never given my daycare families my cell number. They don't need it. Call me on the home phone. I don't belive in texting for a business, and that is what we are.
sharlan 06:47 AM 05-27-2011
Originally Posted by mac60:
Easy, I would be sending out notice at once that starting on this date....no text will be received from daycare families, use the home phone number. I have never given my daycare families my cell number. They don't need it. Call me on the home phone. I don't belive in texting for a business, and that is what we are.
I agree. IF it's important enough that you need to contact me, call. I don't walk around with my cell phone in hand.
littlemissmuffet 06:49 AM 05-27-2011
I don't use a cell phone, but even if I did, one rule of mine is that lates/earlies and no shows all require a PHONE CALL. Any other method is considered null in my mind, and my parents know this.

Not informing me of lates/earlies or no shows more than twice will result in termination for not following policy and procedure.

I charge late fees regardless of whether or not I have been informed. Otherwise, parents will take advantage. If you work overtime in any other job, you get paid - why not this one??
cheerfuldom 07:00 AM 05-27-2011
I love texting but would talk to each parent or send out a letter that texting is kept to daycare related issues only.
PitterPatter 07:01 AM 05-27-2011
Originally Posted by dEHmom:
for the texts regarding not coming or late or whatever, require them to receive a response from you, otherwise, it is not received and they will be required to resend or phone.

as for personal texts, just don't respond to them. you shouldn't be charged for incoming texts, only outgoing. so by not responding, or ONLY responding with what you feel is necessary, then you are limiting your texting. you could also advise this mom, there will be no more texting communication for her, and if she needs to discuss with you, it's over the phone or in person only. also inform her that any overages due to her texting will be added to her bill and care will not continue until all fees are paid in full.
I get charged for EVERY text incomming and outgoing. Always have but it has never been a problem as I don't text much. I may send 5 texts per day to friends. She texts me more than that usually.

I will take your advise. I am going to make a new rule/policy stating that the informative calls be made to my home phone unless we are on a field trip or something. I just feel silly entering something like that into my handbook. It's just not something that should ever be a problem in the 1st place. When I get texts saying they will be late arriving or something I do send "k" back so as not to engage in further convo but to let it known it was received.

Also there is no emotion in texting and she has had attitude with me in the past and I didn't even know it so now when I get Yep or Whatever, I think it's attitude. UGH Just drop your kid off and leave me alone!
dEHmom 07:05 AM 05-27-2011
Originally Posted by PitterPatter:
I get charged for EVERY text incomming and outgoing. Always have but it has never been a problem as I don't text much. I may send 5 texts per day to friends. She texts me more than that usually.

I will take your advise. I am going to make a new rule/policy stating that the informative calls be made to my home phone unless we are on a field trip or something. I just feel silly entering something like that into my handbook. It's just not something that should ever be a problem in the 1st place. When I get texts saying they will be late arriving or something I do send "k" back so as not to engage in further convo but to let it known it was received.

Also there is no emotion in texting and she has had attitude with me in the past and I didn't even know it so now when I get Yep or Whatever, I think it's attitude. UGH Just drop your kid off and leave me alone!
I thought it was illegal or something to be charged for incoming texts because it is not something you can control. Maybe they only passed that in Canada? I could receive a billion texts at no charge. I have unlimited texting in my plan, so it doesn't affect me either way, but I'd block texting again (as I once did) on my phone if i was charged incoming. That's just theft from the service providers in my opinion.
Crystal 07:05 AM 05-27-2011
Same here. ITA.
Blackcat31 07:11 AM 05-27-2011
I do NOT text any of my daycare families. I can see how it would work for some when it is busy and they simply need to tell you something short and quick, but unless you have some really respectful parents who would not lie about sending one or receiving one, I can see how this can be a problem. I don't even give any of my dcp's my cell number....some of mine would be calling/texting with the dumbest questions/issues so I provide an answering machine (with time and date) at both my home and my childcare. I do NOT take daycare calls in the evenings or on the weekends, although I do check my messages in case there are changes or issues that MUST be addressed.

But for the most part, I try really hard to keep my work life and home life very separate from each other. I have thought of getting a cell for work only but I sometimes think that texting with some people can become a big PITA... I think it removes the personal aspect or responsibility of some things. It is all too easy for a parent to say, "Well, I sent you a text, didn't you get it?"

I am NOT saying it is a bad thing because for some, it seems to work great but for me, I am just not ready to go there yet.
Live and Learn 07:12 AM 05-27-2011
I have unlimited texting so it would be no big deal here financially but.......

I don't text with any of my dc parents.

If it is something important they call me for anything else they email me.
Sunshine44 07:17 AM 05-27-2011
What cell provider do you have? I used to work for a cell phone company and many (if not all) do not charge for incoming texts.

Anyway, If texting is a problem for you...don't allow them to do it anymore. I like the idea that you have to send them a reply for it to be 'received'.
daycare 07:27 AM 05-27-2011
I have had the same issue in the past. I do have unlimited texting, but I hate texting and I had a few families that were being dishonest. They would show up late and they say oh well didnt you get my text. Um NO I didnt

so I added this to my PHB: please take from it what you want if anything..

Proper Notification:
With all of the changes in technology, a lot of people rely on text messaging, and emailing to communicate. Due to the nature of the provider’s daily schedule, it does not include time for checking text messages and emails in the morning or late night hours. If you need to report any information of importance with the provider (ex: child is going to absent due to illness) please call and talk directly to the provider. Text messages and emails will not be accepted to inform Provider of absence, dropping off early or picking up late, or termination of contract.
Cat Herder 07:43 AM 05-27-2011
I love, love, love the texts. Especially video and photos. When they say "My child does not do that" I send them a clip-it.

I have lots of photos of kiddies happily eating broccoli/asparagus and even a few videos of world class tantrums with follow up cheshire grins when they get their way, as evidence of the true issue, are in my album... Very handy for the parents who think they are just sad and have seperation anxiety.

I did not like texting with clients at first because, like you, it got out of hand from time to time. Occasionally you have to gently remind them that you are not their friend and are at work.

When my parents start going overboard because they are bored at work, are not talking to their co-worker and need to vent about their day, etc I do the retraining email of "Sorry guys, I dropped my cell in the dishwater (dog ate it, lost charger, etc) and will not have a replacement for the rest of the week. If it is urgent please email and I will respond as soon as possible."

After a few days absence they find someone else to talk to....hopefully their family and friends. This happens about once a year....

I reserve my home phone for family and friends and turn off my work cell after the last child is picked up daily and on weekends.
jen 07:53 AM 05-27-2011
I would go ahead and let them continue to text...but I would add this...

Due to the significant amount of "lost" texts, I will respond with a simple "OK" when they are recieved. If you don't get a response from me within 15 minutes, please resend your text. In the future, late fees will still apply unless you have recieved a text from me indicating my approval.
daycare 08:06 AM 05-27-2011
You may also want to say something about how there are several parents and only one of you, please limit the number of text messages that are sent to help keep your texting bill down. If you have important information to discuss with me, please call me.

something like this might help....

I admit, I do take pics through out the day and send to parents and I do like this about texting, but when you have parents who abuse it and lie, you have to make a new rule.....lol
wdmmom 08:08 AM 05-27-2011
1/2 my parents prefer emails, the other 1/2 prefer text messages.

I don't mind either way. It's much easier to type some letters for 30 seconds than to be on a phone call for 10 minutes or more!
JenNJ 08:54 AM 05-27-2011
Upgrade to unlimited texting or block it all together. There is NO gray area here. Texting was acceptable so they won't limit it now, kwim?
safechner 08:54 AM 05-27-2011
I love the texts. I must have that because it is so much easier than phone. I refused to answer the phone while I am with kids or evening. I don't have time to take a phone calls. I have unlimited texting that I only pay $10 per month in my plan. All my daycare parents are using the texts too and I have no problem. To be honest, it is better than emails or talking on the phone.

Have you thought about adding unlimited texting in your plan?
PitterPatter 08:59 AM 05-27-2011
Originally Posted by Sunshine44:
What cell provider do you have? I used to work for a cell phone company and many (if not all) do not charge for incoming texts.

Anyway, If texting is a problem for you...don't allow them to do it anymore. I like the idea that you have to send them a reply for it to be 'received'.
AT&T I'm in the US
PitterPatter 09:02 AM 05-27-2011
Originally Posted by safechner:
I love the texts. I must have that because it is so much easier than phone. I refused to answer the phone while I am with kids or evening. I don't have time to take a phone calls. I have unlimited texting that I only pay $10 per month in my plan. All my daycare parents are using the texts too and I have no problem. To be honest, it is better than emails or talking on the phone.

Have you thought about adding unlimited texting in your plan?
Yes it would be $10 more a month than I pay now. That was my 1st resolution but then I thought why should I have to pay an extra $10 every month just because 1 DCM can't keep her fingers busy with her work. I am surprised she can even get away with this so much during work hours.
dEHmom 09:06 AM 05-27-2011
New Daycare Rate:

Texting parents will be charged X dollars extra per/week/month spread out the cost of the 10 bucks a month lol.
daycare 09:15 AM 05-27-2011
Originally Posted by dEHmom:
New Daycare Rate:

Texting parents will be charged X dollars extra per/week/month spread out the cost of the 10 bucks a month lol.
lol hey thats a great idea. Maybe we can find a way to do a slight increase to cvoer the cost of slurpees too....lol
Country Kids 09:18 AM 05-27-2011
I have some parents that have texting only on their phones so they have no choice but to call-my kids phone plans are this way also.

My plan is 30$ a month-1000 text and 1000 minutes I believe-Straight Talk from Walmart. We also have a land line so I never go through all my minutes and texts. Before my incoming was counted as well through AT&T and I only had 200.

The times I do like texting for parents is when I have to send out a reminder for everyone after giving it to them in a newsletter. Also I was sick once and was in no way able to make all the phone calls (actually ended up in the hospital) so my husband sent out a text to everyone. Everyone responded in like 5 minutes and wishing me well. Had to do this two days in a row due to illness.

There are great points and not so great ones on texting. I like to limit my tremendously if possible!
JenNJ 09:21 AM 05-27-2011
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
The times I do like texting for parents is when I have to send out a reminder for everyone after giving it to them in a newsletter. Also I was sick once and was in no way able to make all the phone calls (actually ended up in the hospital) so my husband sent out a text to everyone. Everyone responded in like 5 minutes and wishing me well. Had to do this two days in a row due to illness.

There are great points and not so great ones on texting. I like to limit my tremendously if possible!
I had a NASTY GI virus last December. I literally could not leave the bathroom for fear of something coming out of either end. I did NOT want the parents to hear me on the toilet, so I shot everyone a mass text saying I was closed. Plus, I like to give notice as early as possible and an early morning phone call would be rude, so a text lets me notify everyone without waking the entire house.
nannyde 09:30 AM 05-27-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
I reserve my home phone for family and friends and turn off my work cell after the last child is picked up daily and on weekends.
Note to self:

Start texting Cathearder every thirty minutes.

timer set...

wait for it......

dEHmom 09:35 AM 05-27-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
lol hey thats a great idea. Maybe we can find a way to do a slight increase to cvoer the cost of slurpees too....lol
HAHAHAHAHAHA ROFL

i just burnt off a weeks worth of slurpees laughing.
PitterPatter 09:41 AM 05-27-2011
I haven't had a slurpee for over a year!! I may get 1 this weekend.
daycare 09:47 AM 05-27-2011
Originally Posted by PitterPatter:
I haven't had a slurpee for over a year!! I may get 1 this weekend.
nice work out!! lauging is the key to living!!

Yes PitterPatter, I had never had a slurpee that is until dehmom intorduced them to me and gave me all of her slurpee wisdom....lol

Those things are evil..............lol so good
nannyde 10:01 AM 05-27-2011
I don't belive in texting for a business, and that is what we are.
That's interesting to me. I don't have any problems with it.

It's IMPROVED my parent contacts and relationship with them.

They love getting a little text during the day about their gifted sprog They love funny videos. They like the quick "diapers" text they get to remind them about bringing diapers.

It's SO EASY.

I haven't had anything bad happen with it yet so maybe I'll change my mind if that happens. It's pretty effortless for me and it's just a nice way to keep in touch.

I don't think it's unprofessional if it's just activities of daily living texts. If it's business stuff that needs to be discussed then no... I wouldn't do that via text.

I haven't had anyone abuse it yet so I guess time will tell. If the clients like it and it keeps you easily connected then I say "go for it". If it's an annoyance then don't allow it.
Cat Herder 10:08 AM 05-27-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Note to self:

Start texting Cathearder every thirty minutes.

timer set...

wait for it......

Got your text.....

My DH now refers to you as "The Other Woman".

I did not see your post and for a split second I thought I was outed, it did not show your name....

One quick reverse look-up and life was good and I still have to right to vent at will.
dEHmom 10:12 AM 05-27-2011
one thing i love about the texting, is sometimes i only check email 1 time a day and that can be at any point. my phone is almost with me, so at least a few times a day i check it (if i haven't heard it vibrate or anything).

the convenience of the text is much the same as an email. it's a conversation at a convenient moment. you can pick back up the conversation when it's convenient for you.

sally: hey just wondering how X making out on his first day.

2 hours later....

me: he's having a blast. see you at pick up
nannyde 10:13 AM 05-27-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Got your text.....

My DH now refers to you as "The Other Woman".

I did not see this thread and for a split second I thought I was outed, it did not show your name....

One quick reverse look-up and life was good and I still have to right to vent at will.

I shall embark upon texting terrorism. Whenever I have to get up to go potty in the middle of the night... I'll let ya know.
sharlan 10:17 AM 05-27-2011
Since my cell pretty much lives in my car, I would miss a lot of texts.

Now, take my computer away and we'll have lots of problems.
daycare 10:17 AM 05-27-2011
agree here.... with nan....but then again who wouldn't....

I used to allow it until like I said, someone had to ruin it for everyone else...

I also had a strange situaiton occur several years ago about texting.

Long story short.

I had a young couple (not married) looking to place their 6month old. At that time, i took babies and was going to care for the child once he reached 6 months. the couple seemed very nice and out going. Very cute couple. They lived in town, actually just aross the other side of the freeway, very close.

Any ways, one day the dad text me and said,(baby had not started yet) hey do you workout at XYZ gym? I replied and said yes. So a few text go back and forth about the gym, am I going to do the ironman, blah blah blah. It ends and I think nothing of it.

Two days later, dad text and says can I bring the little guy by for a drop in, something that we had not agreed to, but dad wanted to go to the gym and needed a sitter...the little guy was 3 months old at the time. Ok sure, bring the baby over.

Dad drops off, I text him about 15 min later a pic of the baby with a big smile and say everything is going great. Dad replies, more text are exchanged.

The next day around 6am the mom starts blowing up my phone. She starts yelling at me why in the He!! are you texting my BF? Huh what?

Yeah so I guess the GF went online and could see that we were exhanging text but did know why or what we were talking about. She went off the wall crazy at me. Obviously they had other issues, but boy did I learn a lesson over texting.... NO more text to dads that mom dont get and vice versa....
MissAnn 06:09 AM 05-28-2011

I have unlimited texting so they can text away. I just send them back a "k" when I get it.
That's good! No "k" means you didn't get it
dave4him 07:12 PM 10-12-2011
Texting is a great way to share whats going on during the day as well as sending pictures
Nellie 10:32 PM 10-12-2011
It would take me all day to send out a text. Not to savey with all the abbreviations. I often get FB Messages sent from phones and I never know what they are saying. Once I googled text abbreviations and pulled up a page to decode the message. I have texting blocked on my phone. When the phone rings during DC hours from a DCF and I have a free hand and a second I pick up. Otherwise I let it go to voice message and call back when I can. Tell all DCF's the little ones are first priority, and my attention and time goes to them first. I will try to break away for a second to return urgent phone calls otherwise they are left for nap or after hours. Luckily all my family's respect and appreciate it.
2ndFamilyDC 05:41 AM 10-13-2011
I never thought of using texts as a way to communicate with my dc parents before, but I am going to start now. Thanks for the idea.
permanentvacation 06:18 AM 10-13-2011
I don't believe in texting from parents! I do use my cell on my advertisements so random people can't use my number to find my address. But when I am hired by a family, I let them know to call my house number and to call me on my house number whenever they need to get ahold of me. I let them know that my cell is laying around the house somewhere throughout the day and I don't check it for messages. I have had a parent or two who texted me throughout the day. When they pick their child up, they say something about texting me. I say that I hadn't even checked my phone, go get my phone and say - "yeah, there is a text from you. I never check my phone during the day, you need to call my house number from now on." I really don't have many problems with parents texting me.

My daycare is a COMPANY! Would you text the cashier at Walmart to ask anything such as the price of an item, Walmart's hours, etc.? Would you text your child's teacher to let them know you need to pick your child up from school early for a dentist appointment? NO!! So, why do parents think they can text their daycare provider? Simply put, because they are not looking at you as a business. They are looking at you as either a friend or babysitter. They are not showing you the respect of being a business owner, teacher, etc.

Texting is not personal at all. It is something that is done when you want to tell someone something that is so unimportant that you don't care if the other person gets the information immediately or 5 hours later, you don't need to know when they receive the information, and you don't need an immediate response.

If a person needs to contact their daycare provider during the work day, it should be important enough that they need to have the information delivered to the provider immediately, get an immediate response, and know that their information has been received by the provider in a timely manner. Which means needing to make a PHONE CALL! Now, yes, we might be busy and they might need to leave a message. But most home providers leave their cells laying around and don't check them randomly in case someone might have left a message/text. But most of us can hear the home phone ringing and therefore know to check it for messages when we finish whatever we were busy with when the phone rang.
Childminder 06:49 AM 10-13-2011
Originally Posted by :
I never thought texting would be a problem but some issues have came up. I have had clients say they sent a text stating they wouldn't be attending daycare, and another say that she would be late for pick up. I don't have problems with receiving anyone elses texts so I assume they are lying. These are becoming more frequent now so that I waive the pick up fees. I am solving that by no longer waiving ANY fees regardless of being informed or not.
Unless they get a "K" back from me it is not considered received by me. They better text back in a few minutes to "check" that I got it.
Unregistered 08:02 AM 10-13-2011
Originally Posted by permanentvacation:
I don't believe in texting from parents! I do use my cell on my advertisements so random people can't use my number to find my address. But when I am hired by a family, I let them know to call my house number and to call me on my house number whenever they need to get ahold of me. I let them know that my cell is laying around the house somewhere throughout the day and I don't check it for messages. I have had a parent or two who texted me throughout the day. When they pick their child up, they say something about texting me. I say that I hadn't even checked my phone, go get my phone and say - "yeah, there is a text from you. I never check my phone during the day, you need to call my house number from now on." I really don't have many problems with parents texting me.

My daycare is a COMPANY! Would you text the cashier at Walmart to ask anything such as the price of an item, Walmart's hours, etc.? Would you text your child's teacher to let them know you need to pick your child up from school early for a dentist appointment? NO!! So, why do parents think they can text their daycare provider? Simply put, because they are not looking at you as a business. They are looking at you as either a friend or babysitter. They are not showing you the respect of being a business owner, teacher, etc.

Texting is not personal at all. It is something that is done when you want to tell someone something that is so unimportant that you don't care if the other person gets the information immediately or 5 hours later, you don't need to know when they receive the information, and you don't need an immediate response.

If a person needs to contact their daycare provider during the work day, it should be important enough that they need to have the information delivered to the provider immediately, get an immediate response, and know that their information has been received by the provider in a timely manner. Which means needing to make a PHONE CALL! Now, yes, we might be busy and they might need to leave a message. But most home providers leave their cells laying around and don't check them randomly in case someone might have left a message/text. But most of us can hear the home phone ringing and therefore know to check it for messages when we finish whatever we were busy with when the phone rang.
As with any business, I think you have to learn to get with the current technology. Email used to be for personal letters to friends too, but has turned into a great business and marketing tool. I think that's what texting will do as well, especially for the daycare business. It's a quick & easy connect for parents and providers. I just tuck my cell phone in my pocket. I can't do that with my home phone or my computer. I carry it around all day so that wherever I am, inside or outside, I have a phone on me for emergencies. I tell my parents NOT to call my home phone because there's a pretty good chance the ringer will be turned off for nap time or I could be outside and won't know they called. I would rather they didn't email either, since I don't check emails all that frequently. A cell phone is just SO easy. Send me a text. It's fast and can be answered at my convenience from any location.

As for the personal texting issue, I occasionally have that and I've found if I ignore the off-topic stuff completely, they quit sending it. I have unlimited texting so that's easy for me to do. If that doesn't help after a couple days, I'd go with a quick reminder mentioning that you only have a certain amount of texts available on your plan so please limit the texts to only those related to little so & so.
safechner 08:03 AM 10-13-2011
Originally Posted by permanentvacation:

I am sorry you feel that way. Honest, I do text both of my children's teachers and they also text me if they need anything. I don't have phone land line and never will. I must to have a cell phone that I can only use text and emails. I have a computer but I don't stay all day to check my emails very often.
caligirl 08:43 AM 10-13-2011

I'm with you! Best thing EVER!
melissa ann 10:03 AM 10-13-2011
I love texting. I"m not a phone person always hated talking on the phone. My one dcf texts me their schedule as it varies. I ususlly get one text a week from her. The other dcm, will text me if they are running late. I don't care as long as they are here by 9.(which I have told her) Her normal time is around 8:30. She will often texted me during the day to see how her "little princess" day is going. If I don't text her back right away,she texts again. I told her I can't always respond right away. It's not like she's texting anything important or anything.
We have bus stop trips and trips to preschool and my cell is always with me.
mom2many 11:37 AM 10-13-2011
I would LOVE to get rid of my land line...the only calls I usually get on it are solicitations...but licensing says we must have one here for emergency calls. For the past year, some of my dcps have started texting me simple & quick info on drop offs, pick ups, child being ill etc and I love it. I have an answering machine on my land line, but always feel like I should pick up, if I see a parent is calling. Sometimes I'm in the middle of something, so getting a text message works well for me. I've never had a parent abuse it yet.
Springdaze 01:45 PM 10-13-2011
I dont give out my cell #. They arent my mother, my child, or my husband. I have a home phone with voicemail, thats all they need. I would not want to have to worry about leaving my home and having them be able to get a hold of me!
GrannyJ 04:44 PM 10-13-2011
I got rid of my land line as soon as licensing no longer required it!!! I have my cell with me 24/7. My parents text me and I keep them informed with text. I love my cell phone.
daycare 04:50 PM 10-13-2011
I have not read all of the post, but about a year ago I had some major issues with texting. It was nuts.

1. DCP would lie about sending text saying they would be early, late, not coming, not going to be here for breakfast and etc.

2. DCF would text all hours of the day non stop and then call me within min if I did not respon right away

I had to enforce a NO texting policy for awhile. It was nuts, but it was a problem. Once the problem people left, so did the no texting policy..

Basically I asked that they not text me to inform me about important information, they had to call. If it was something like oh I like the art project sussie made, well then cool......

It was like that old saying from when I was a kid. It only takes one person to ruin it for everyone else.....
PitterPatter 05:32 PM 10-13-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
I have not read all of the post, but about a year ago I had some major issues with texting. It was nuts.

1. DCP would lie about sending text saying they would be early, late, not coming, not going to be here for breakfast and etc.

2. DCF would text all hours of the day non stop and then call me within min if I did not respon right away

I had to enforce a NO texting policy for awhile. It was nuts, but it was a problem. Once the problem people left, so did the no texting policy..

Basically I asked that they not text me to inform me about important information, they had to call. If it was something like oh I like the art project sussie made, well then cool......

It was like that old saying from when I was a kid. It only takes one person to ruin it for everyone else.....
Well said!! Those are the same problems I had. Not from everyone just a few over the years but a few is enough to run up the phone bill.

I do send texts and accept them but some get out of hand. I like the fact I can send pics, video and send a quick update but as for important stuff, call.

I also had a problem with 1 DCM sending graphic "jokes" and pictures. My son sometimes plays games on the phone he doesn't need to accidentally hit accept while playing and see that crap, so I told DCM no more! It was very inapropriate to be sending me fwds like that anyway. She got mad and said my child shouldn't be playing on a cell phone anyway (he was 8 at the time) MY phone MY rules! Now if I can only make myself say that about everything else pertaining to my business!
Tags:late fees, texting
Reply Up