Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-06-2011, 09:32 AM
SilverSabre25's Avatar
SilverSabre25 SilverSabre25 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Where I am legally unlicensed ;), USA
Posts: 7,626
Default Enrollment Fee

Is this a good idea?

I'm thinking of charging new clients a nonrefundable $25 enrollment fee to secure their spot and cover some one-time charges associated with enrolling a new child--including the cost of printing up all the paperwork and the handbook, the cost to buy the child their own blanket to keep here at daycare, the cost of the keychains I provide to each parent with my contact information, etc.

I'm afraid of driving people away...but I'm also really tired of flaky clients and I'm hoping that this might help encourage the flaky ones who aren't intending on their child staying here for long to look elsewhere.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-06-2011, 09:36 AM
nannyde's Avatar
nannyde nannyde is offline
All powerful, all knowing daycare whisperer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 7,237
Default

60 dollars

It use it to pay for the interview time and the website. It is non refundable.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-06-2011, 09:39 AM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25 View Post
Is this a good idea?

I'm thinking of charging new clients a nonrefundable $25 enrollment fee to secure their spot and cover some one-time charges associated with enrolling a new child--including the cost of printing up all the paperwork and the handbook, the cost to buy the child their own blanket to keep here at daycare, the cost of the keychains I provide to each parent with my contact information, etc.

I'm afraid of driving people away...but I'm also really tired of flaky clients and I'm hoping that this might help encourage the flaky ones who aren't intending on their child staying here for long to look elsewhere.
I dont charge the parents anything to enroll even though there is a lot that goes into it. I have thought about it, but parents almost pass out when I tell them have to not only pay for the first week up front, but they also have to pay a two week deopsit for each child.

I don't see anything wrong with it and if you feel that is what it will take to cover the cost then try it and see.
however, be ready for parents to ask if you can email the papers so they can print themself (this is what I ask them to do)
also I ask them to bring their own sleeping blanket to keep here..I am sure that the parents will ask this too so that they can avoid paying the fees.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-06-2011, 09:45 AM
SilverSabre25's Avatar
SilverSabre25 SilverSabre25 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Where I am legally unlicensed ;), USA
Posts: 7,626
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycare View Post
I dont charge the parents anything to enroll even though there is a lot that goes into it. I have thought about it, but parents almost pass out when I tell them have to not only pay for the first week up front, but they also have to pay a two week deopsit for each child.

I don't see anything wrong with it and if you feel that is what it will take to cover the cost then try it and see.
however, be ready for parents to ask if you can email the papers so they can print themself (this is what I ask them to do)
also I ask them to bring their own sleeping blanket to keep here..I am sure that the parents will ask this too so that they can avoid paying the fees.
You bring up some good points. I don't ask for a deposit, so this would be the only thing they'd be asked to pay in addition to normal weekly rates. I'm not going to allow them to print papers at home...I tried to let a couple sets of parents do that and I never got the paperwork (partly my fault for not chasing them down on it...).

I'm not sure I'm going to detail what the enrollment fee actually covers...I might spin it just as "to secure your spot, I require a non-refundable $25 fee"
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-06-2011, 09:48 AM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

Nannyde had a great point on hers and she charges $60.00.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-06-2011, 10:47 AM
nannyde's Avatar
nannyde nannyde is offline
All powerful, all knowing daycare whisperer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 7,237
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycare View Post
Nannyde had a great point on hers and she charges $60.00.
I do about five hours of interviewing so it pays me a little to go thru the process. There's also the cost of the website and the pre interview contact. Sixty bucks is REALLY fair.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-06-2011, 11:04 AM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannyde View Post
I do about five hours of interviewing so it pays me a little to go thru the process. There's also the cost of the website and the pre interview contact. Sixty bucks is REALLY fair.
if you think about it and break it down that way, yes I feel that it is fair. I personally don't do that much interviewing, perhpas why I get parents I should have never taken.

Nanny you should do an article on how to properly interview....Unless you already have and I missed it!!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-06-2011, 11:15 AM
SilverSabre25's Avatar
SilverSabre25 SilverSabre25 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Where I am legally unlicensed ;), USA
Posts: 7,626
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycare View Post
if you think about it and break it down that way, yes I feel that it is fair. I personally don't do that much interviewing, perhpas why I get parents I should have never taken.

Nanny you should do an article on how to properly interview....Unless you already have and I missed it!!
ditto! Although I don't think I could ever pull off the same three interview structure that you manage, nanny, but I totally suck at interviewing. I have always sucked at interviews for out of the house jobs, too.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-06-2011, 11:23 AM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25 View Post
ditto! Although I don't think I could ever pull off the same three interview structure that you manage, nanny, but I totally suck at interviewing. I have always sucked at interviews for out of the house jobs, too.
Im back and forth.... There are times I think I say too much and times I feel like i did not say enough. It's hard, because you not only have to get all the information out you need to get a feel for the parents and sometimes that is where I go wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-06-2011, 11:48 AM
Maddy'sMommy's Avatar
Maddy'sMommy Maddy'sMommy is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 156
Default

I don't charge and enrollment fee, but I do charge $100 deposit, due when they sign the contract. It's non-refundable, but I apply it to their last week of care.

I use it for supplies, food, new toys. Whatever I may need.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-06-2011, 12:45 PM
Sugar Magnolia's Avatar
Sugar Magnolia Sugar Magnolia is offline
Blossoms Blooming
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Where the wind goes.....
Posts: 2,379
Default I have 2 fees....

I charge a $175 supply fee annually, but I also have a $100 enrollment fee. BUT this enrollment fee is at my discretion. If its a family I am kinda on the fence about (seem flaky, seem unreliable, seem like they could disappear) I charge it. If its a family I really really want to sign, I say this: "we do have a $100 enrollment fee, but we are running a special right now. If you sign up before (month)_____ 30th, I will waive the enrollment fee." I collect the fee about 50 % of the time. But the supply fee is non negotiable here.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-06-2011, 12:59 PM
wdmmom wdmmom is offline
Advanced Daycare.com
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: WDM, IA
Posts: 2,669
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia View Post
I charge a $175 supply fee annually, but I also have a $100 enrollment fee. BUT this enrollment fee is at my discretion. If its a family I am kinda on the fence about (seem flaky, seem unreliable, seem like they could disappear) I charge it. If its a family I really really want to sign, I say this: "we do have a $100 enrollment fee, but we are running a special right now. If you sign up before (month)_____ 30th, I will waive the enrollment fee." I collect the fee about 50 % of the time. But the supply fee is non negotiable here.
How do you itemize the "supply fee" to the parents? What do they get for that money?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-06-2011, 01:37 PM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 9,849
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycare View Post
Nanny you should do an article on how to properly interview....Unless you already have and I missed it!!
She did.

It is called "The art of the interview."

There are two parts.
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-06-2011, 01:49 PM
nannyde's Avatar
nannyde nannyde is offline
All powerful, all knowing daycare whisperer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 7,237
Default

I want my kid to go to Shugs Day Care.

Got an opening?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-06-2011, 03:17 PM
momma2girls's Avatar
momma2girls momma2girls is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: midwestern
Posts: 2,156
Default

I charge one week per month to hold a spot. If it is under one month, it is a $50.00 holding fee, this is nonrefundable, and only it to hold the spot here.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-06-2011, 03:46 PM
Sugar Magnolia's Avatar
Sugar Magnolia Sugar Magnolia is offline
Blossoms Blooming
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Where the wind goes.....
Posts: 2,379
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmmom View Post
How do you itemize the "supply fee" to the parents? What do they get for that money?
Paper towels, paper plates, paper cups, toilet paper, cleaning supplies, nap mats, baby wipes, soap, first aid supplies, art supplies, craft materials, paper, curriculum materials, new educational supplies, new toys, and printing supplies like toner and paper. "Items that contribute to the cleanliness and safety of the facility and the health and well being of all children".
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-06-2011, 04:16 PM
wdmmom wdmmom is offline
Advanced Daycare.com
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: WDM, IA
Posts: 2,669
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia View Post
Paper towels, paper plates, paper cups, toilet paper, cleaning supplies, nap mats, baby wipes, soap, first aid supplies, art supplies, craft materials, paper, curriculum materials, new educational supplies, new toys, and printing supplies like toner and paper. "Items that contribute to the cleanliness and safety of the facility and the health and well being of all children".
Love, love, love it! I might just consider adapting something similar! Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
contract - yearly, deposit agreement, enrollment, fee, nannyde

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Building New Program Enrollment: Tips & When to Panic allieannarbor Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 3 08-22-2012 09:32 PM
POLL: How Has The Economy Affected Your Enrollment Numbers? zosim Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 15 08-22-2011 09:06 AM
Enrollment Fees for SA? legomom922 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 4 09-14-2010 01:49 PM
Enrollment Documents Required Genesis Lady Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 1 06-23-2010 10:13 AM
LICENSE vs. UNLICENSED ENROLLMENT CALLS seashell Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 20 07-02-2009 05:08 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:56 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming