Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Cold Sores
Francine 01:03 PM 08-29-2012
Okay so this might be a totally stupid question but it's one that I don't have any experience with. I have a little guy that tends to get cold sores when ill, his Grandma has picked him up from my house before and said his dad was the same way when he was little. This little guy stayed home Monday because of a cold, cough, runny nose etc. over the weekend. Yesterday morning at drop off I didn't notice anything but by the end of the day he had three pretty big cold sores on his lips. Mom just kind of brushes it off with a "thanks Dad for passing that trait on" But I was just reading about Secondary Herpes, if that is what this is he can't be here, RIGHT? He is 2 1/2 and a huge drooler too! His Mom is going to be here in an hour, what should I tell her? HELP! This is a new one for me!
Blackcat31 01:47 PM 08-29-2012
Here are the fact sheet I am given about cold sores.

Provider sheet:
http://www.hennepin.us/files/Hennepi...0_s6HERPES.pdf

Parent sheet:

http://www.hennepin.us/files/Hennepi...s%20parent.pdf

Hope they are helpful. From what I understand, cold sores are something that you get because of something you have IN your body....not all people get them. I have never had one in my whole life, neither has one of my children but yet my DH and my other child get them every now and then.
grandmom 01:50 PM 08-29-2012
I've never heard that that would exclude a child. My experience is that it is spread by contact, so kissing on the face/mouth with a sore, etc., would spread it. I've had cold sores for many years caused by stress. I'm not a doctor but I'll share with you what I've done. Perhaps dcd and dcb can do the same. As soon as I feel one, I take several L-Lysine. You buy them with vitamins. They say one a day. If it doesn't go away I take a couple more. I may take 10 or more in a day. Rarely does one break out now, rarely do I even get one. Perhaps they could take one a day to keep them away?
Francine 02:03 PM 08-29-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Here are the fact sheet I am given about cold sores.

Provider sheet:
http://www.hennepin.us/files/Hennepi...0_s6HERPES.pdf

Parent sheet:

http://www.hennepin.us/files/Hennepi...s%20parent.pdf

Hope they are helpful. From what I understand, cold sores are something that you get because of something you have IN your body....not all people get them. I have never had one in my whole life, neither has one of my children but yet my DH and my other child get them every now and then.
Thank you for the information, it sounds like the first time a child has them they need to stay home but after that they don't need to. I did call my health department but the nurse that I talked to was out driving and is going to call me back when she gets back to the office and has her daycare procedure book in front of her.
Happy Hearts 02:10 PM 08-29-2012
I have one right now!!! Hurts like a son of a gun, too. I've had them since I was a child and they are nasty. The worst is that I can't kiss my husband, kids or grandbabies when I have one. Poor little guy, they hurt so much.
sharlan 03:14 PM 08-29-2012
I had one dcb that developed a bad cold sore with each tooth he brought in.
Francine 05:09 AM 08-30-2012
Well I talked to our local Healthy Department, was basically told that it was up to me. The only guidelines that they have are if there is a newborn or a child with eczmea in care, then the child with the cold sore should not be allowed to come. I love this little guy to death, he has been here since the day he was born but to be honest by the end of the day yesterday I was totally grossed out. That kills me, I hate thinking like that! If it wasn't for the drool I would be okay but for a 2.5 year old he drools constantly, he is like a faucet. I keep a bib on him at all times and am constantly telling him to wipe his face. When he is talking to the other kids and moving his head, running around etc. it literally flies all over the room. If he is working a puzzle, coloring, just sitting playing it is dripping all over everything. It's bad enough but now with these cold sores I'm sorry but it's just gross. He doesn't seem to be in any pain unless they are touched so yesterday I only fed non messy things so that I didn't have to wipe his mouth. I wish there was a way to teach swallowing! Thanks for your help!
Reply Up