Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What to Charge?
Leanna 03:33 PM 08-24-2013
I just enrolled a new infant. The family is thrilled to be with me and I think they will be a great family to work with...BUT (isn't there always a BUT???)

My hours are from 7am to 5pm. Mom normally works 8-5 and literally works down the street from my house. She asked at the interview if an extra 5 minutes would be a problem. I agreed that I would allow a 5:05pm pick-up. Here is where the problem is: Mom went back to work two weeks ago and has worked 7:30-4:30 instead of her normal hours (she will go back to the 8-5 next week). With her getting out at 4:30 I expected her to pick-up at 4:35 but it has been 4:50-4:55 everyday. This means that it is taking her not 5 minutes to get out of work and get here, but 20-25. I am not really willing to work an extra 20-25 minutes. Mom asked me on Friday if being "a few minutes" after five was still going to be ok and I was straight up with her and said it has been a lot more than five minutes. I told her that for the first two weeks we would keep track of pick-up times and that if it was consistently longer than 5 minutes, I would have to add a fee. Mom readily agreed and said that she was so happy to be here and that she would happily pay a fee if it meant her baby can stay here.

Sooo...what kind of fee is appropriate? I want it to be hefty enough to discourage the late pick-up (and encourage them to be more proactive in making my hours work such as adjusting her hours slightly) but not be ridiculous. Any suggestions?
butterfly 03:56 PM 08-24-2013
No real advice from me, other than the fact that I don't charge fees for late pickup. I don't want ANY late pickups. My contract actually says late pickups will not be tolerated and services will be terminated if children are not picked up by 5:15pm each day.

I know lots of providers in my area who charge a $1 per minute for late pick up. $1 wouldn't be enough for me. That's a lot of hassle to fight parents for payment, keeping track of minutes, staying open late when I have family things to do.... Not worth it!!

I hope mom is diligent in picking up and paying if necessary. to you!
Cradle2crayons 04:28 PM 08-24-2013
Originally Posted by Leanna:
I just enrolled a new infant. The family is thrilled to be with me and I think they will be a great family to work with...BUT (isn't there always a BUT???)

My hours are from 7am to 5pm. Mom normally works 8-5 and literally works down the street from my house. She asked at the interview if an extra 5 minutes would be a problem. I agreed that I would allow a 5:05pm pick-up. Here is where the problem is: Mom went back to work two weeks ago and has worked 7:30-4:30 instead of her normal hours (she will go back to the 8-5 next week). With her getting out at 4:30 I expected her to pick-up at 4:35 but it has been 4:50-4:55 everyday. This means that it is taking her not 5 minutes to get out of work and get here, but 20-25. I am not really willing to work an extra 20-25 minutes. Mom asked me on Friday if being "a few minutes" after five was still going to be ok and I was straight up with her and said it has been a lot more than five minutes. I told her that for the first two weeks we would keep track of pick-up times and that if it was consistently longer than 5 minutes, I would have to add a fee. Mom readily agreed and said that she was so happy to be here and that she would happily pay a fee if it meant her baby can stay here.

Sooo...what kind of fee is appropriate? I want it to be hefty enough to discourage the late pick-up (and encourage them to be more proactive in making my hours work such as adjusting her hours slightly) but not be ridiculous. Any suggestions?
I would charge an additional fee of $25-$30 a week ($5 to $6 per day) for what you are describing. Of course, my regular rates may be different than yours.
mamac 04:49 PM 08-24-2013
Here's some advice that I received just recently for a very similar situation.

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64482
Lavender 04:55 PM 08-24-2013
The center I work at charges $10 for being late AND $1 per minute. So 10 mins late ends up being $20.
Leanna 05:50 PM 08-24-2013
Originally Posted by mamac:
Here's some advice that I received just recently for a very similar situation.

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64482
Wow...it is my very question lol! I obviously missed that thread . How is the situation working out for you?
mamac 09:30 AM 08-25-2013
Originally Posted by Leanna:
Wow...it is my very question lol! I obviously missed that thread . How is the situation working out for you?
I decided to take BC's advice and charge the extra $5 but unfortunately the family decided on another provider before I ever got to discuss the extra time. I'm pretty sure she didn't agree with my policies because it was only a phone inquiry. She never saw the dc or met me but I e-mailed her all my info. (I know my handbook is far more detailed and strict than many others in my area.)

Just as well I suppose. Better that way than to have to argue about enforcing policies later. And at least I know what I will do if someone else calls with the same situation.

Hope your situation works out for you!
Crazy8 04:26 PM 08-25-2013
I would really think about if you are ok doing it before you even put a $$ amount on it (see my post "time vs. money" recently, LOL!). If you really want to keep the family and a 5:20-5:30 pick up time is ok then I would make it about $5/day extra - or something in line with your hourly rates. If you are really trying to discourage it, I think you need to come right out and say no, not just tack a larger fee on it. Some parents have no issue paying the fees, but you may come to regret putting a price tag on it.
Tags:late fees
Reply Up