Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Spin off of Mass Potty Training Thread
spud912 02:13 PM 08-13-2013
So I have a new crew and most are in diapers. However, the two older (2 1/2 years old) diapered children are more than ready.

One of these two is my daughter. Last weekend I did another attempt at half naked potty training (round 3....the other 2 rounds ended poorly and she obviously wasn't ready so I waited 3-4 weeks and tried again). Well, she is doing excellent with the potty training but the problem lies in putting clothes back on. When she is not wearing anything waist-down, she goes potty on her own very well. The second I put anything on (diaper, pull-up, panties, cloth training panties, pants without undies, etc), all bets are off. How do I get her to be trained and be decent from the waist down ?

The other 2 1/2 year old I believe is more than ready. During normal potty/diaper changing times, he will go to the bathroom, remove his pants, remove his diaper, put the soiled diaper in the trash, sit on the potty happily, I put his diaper on, then he puts his pants on by himself and washes his hands. Not only that, but he communicates very well and when asked will tell me if his diaper is dry, wet or soiled. He also wakes from nap time dry and will go for 2 hour spells without soiling his diaper. The parents report similar happenings at home. The only thing he HASN'T done is do his business in the potty (for me and his parents). His parents have said that they have tried him in briefs at home but he goes in them regardless and doesn't seem to mind. They have not tried to have him go naked (which I normally have pretty good success with, especially when they go potty in underwear willingly....helps them realize the difference).

I really would like to get him potty trained as well and am willing to go the extra mile to get it done....changing 4 diapers each time is a lot of work . I know his parents would be on board if I started something more proactive here, however they lead very busy lives and I think haven't had the time to really take the plunge to really get things moving at home. Plus, they only have him so it's not like they really feel the urge at this time to push it (whereas I do ). So ... have any of you started potty training proactively a dck with much success? What did you do to get the child to actually take that final step and urinate in the toilet?

Just to condense my 3 questions:
  1. How do you get a half-naked "potty-trained" child to also be potty trained with underwear on?
  2. Have any of you initiated potty training a dck successfully before the parents started?
  3. How does one get a child to actually urinate on the toilet versus just sit on it?

butterfly 02:39 PM 08-13-2013
1. have you tried a skirt? She'd still be covered, but still not covered... I don't know. I never let my kids be bare while training...
2. yes, I have some lazy parents. Some would never train their own kids, so I started hot and heavy and then bragged it up to the parents how well their child was doing. The parents then started showing some interest in helping at home too. Some just don't want their child to grow up...
3. just keep trying. I've ran some water , but basically repetition and consistency.
daycare 03:07 PM 08-13-2013
to date, I have trained ALL of my DCks here that are full time.. I always train in mass ages.

I start them as young as 18 months old. I sit them on the pot, turn the water on and say can you make a stream too? I have them sit while we sing ABC...often I will be in the process of changing another one while one is on the pot. As soon as they are done with the ABC song, it's off they go, flush the toilet and then pull up your pants. Time to wash hands. As soon as they have their clothing back on, next one is ready to sit on the pot.

I don't make them sit until they go, eventually they figure it out after being placed there enough times.

Right now I have 3 kids that are 100% PT here, but not at home. The parents don't want to work with the kid, so I guess they don't mind the poopie diapers.

I know a lot of providers say that they will not build a potty routine and put them on the pot at certain times of the day, BUT i belive that like any thing else we teach them consistency and routine with a great schedule is key.

THis is for the older ones around age 2-3
I can tell you when each of my kids with go #2.....about the time of day. I make sure that they get on that pot and they don't get off until they go. Sometimes it takes a few minutes, but for the most part it usually happens pretty quickly....

For me, I would much rather tell a kid when to go to the bathroom than wait until they did it in their pants and I have to clean it up.

Of course, I will at some point STOP telling the kids when to go. Yes I am the one who is starting out trained, but I do train them and get them on board. ONce I see they are getting the swing of it, the real test is just to STOP telling them to use the toilet and see if they ask to go......

So far I can say I am only at a loss with 2 daycare kids I have ever had. BUT sometimes if parents are not on board, you will NEVER win this battle....
blandino 06:01 PM 08-13-2013
I do a mass potty training. I don't do it naked from the waist down, but I DO do the 3 day methods, and go straight to underwear. I require that parents start it at home over a weekend, before specific weeks that we have set aside. They come the next week in underwear, with plastic covers or the all-in-one training pants, and that whole week we work on potty training.

I do these weeks the first week of every other month, and every child over 18 months is welcome to participate as long as their parents commit to starting the process over a weekend. It has worked very very well for us in the past.

I obviously allow parents to use another method of PT if they wish, but their child will have to wear training pants until they are accident free for two weeks, and be going on their own.

I have the handout if you would like to see it, just PM me your email address and I will send it to you.

I have done the method with one DCG, who I just KNEW could be fully trained at 2.5. Her parents were initiating it, but she was BEYOND ready. She had one accident, and that was it.
dEHmom 01:21 PM 08-14-2013
Originally Posted by blandino:
I do a mass potty training. I don't do it naked from the waist down, but I DO do the 3 day methods, and go straight to underwear. I require that parents start it at home over a weekend, before specific weeks that we have set aside. They come the next week in underwear, with plastic covers or the all-in-one training pants, and that whole week we work on potty training.

I do these weeks the first week of every other month, and every child over 18 months is welcome to participate as long as their parents commit to starting the process over a weekend. It has worked very very well for us in the past.

I obviously allow parents to use another method of PT if they wish, but their child will have to wear training pants until they are accident free for two weeks, and be going on their own.

I have the handout if you would like to see it, just PM me your email address and I will send it to you.

I have done the method with one DCG, who I just KNEW could be fully trained at 2.5. Her parents were initiating it, but she was BEYOND ready. She had one accident, and that was it.
I would be interested in seeing this. I will pm you my email!
Tags:potty training
Reply Up