Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
View Poll Results: How are children served meals in your program?
Family Style 9 18.37%
Restaurant Style 37 75.51%
Cafeteria Style 3 6.12%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Are Kiddos Served Meals In Your Program?
Country Kids 02:42 PM 11-19-2014
Been having a problem (HUGE) with children just not eating. Even my hubby is tired of the waste of food there is and not being able to find anything these kids will eat.

My mentor has suggested serving family style and me sitting with the kids. I have a hard time eating with the kids, find family style a germ fest and not seeing how this will help. I can see the kids pretty much only taking the fruit because that is about all I can get them to eat anyway.

So just wondering how you serve meals.

Wait I wanted to put down a poll and it didn't let me. Can I still do one?
Country Kids 02:53 PM 11-19-2014
The categories I wanted were:

Family Style

Restaurant Style

Cafeteria Style
hope 04:21 PM 11-19-2014
Restaurant style. I have an island that the big kids sit at and the younger ones and I eat at the kitchen table. I make a plate for each child with a small portion and if they would like more than I serve more. I do sit with them but I barely eat with them. I am usually too busy talking or wiping a babies face. Some days I do family style if we are making our own salads or tacos or something like that. Only I spoon out each item and I try to keep a cover on the food bc someone is bound to sneeze!
I too struggle with throwing food out. If I know a particular kid will not eat their broccoli I offer a small piece, not many.
Thriftylady 04:33 PM 11-19-2014
Don't have any kids right now but when I did before I did restaurant style. I gave seconds if wanted/needed and gave small portions. If there was leftover I pulled it out with our dinner often.
Unregistered 05:07 PM 11-19-2014
I do restaurant style, but I offer food that they like and will eat. I try to balance it, but the meals are not 100% by the food guide. All my parents understand and when the kids tell me that they had jam sandwiches again for dinner lastnight, I feel a little less guilty serving chicken breast, apples and KD. Lol
jenboo 05:22 PM 11-19-2014
Restaurant style. I feed an infant while they are eating, I can't sit with them.
Eat or go hungry. No catering here.
spinnymarie 06:06 PM 11-19-2014
Restaurant style too. Also feeding babies at the same time. I also set a timer, to let them know how much time they have left before they can get up. Seconds if they finish all food on their plate. Pretty decent eaters, though, and they will fill up on their serving of milk of they don't want to eat, and we will eat again in three hours, so I don't fret about unfinished food.
jenboo 06:06 PM 11-19-2014
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Been having a problem (HUGE) with children just not eating. Even my hubby is tired of the waste of food there is and not being able to find anything these kids will eat.

My mentor has suggested serving family style and me sitting with the kids. I have a hard time eating with the kids, find family style a germ fest and not seeing how this will help. I can see the kids pretty much only taking the fruit because that is about all I can get them to eat anyway.

So just wondering how you serve meals.

Wait I wanted to put down a poll and it didn't let me. Can I still do one?
Think of it this way... You serve them a specific amount of food. If they eat it, that amount of food is gone (in their stomach) if they don't eat it, that same amount of food is gone (in the trash). Either way, the same amount of food is gone. As long as you don't serve them a different meal if they throw their food away, you are losing the same amount of food just to different places.
midaycare 06:53 PM 11-19-2014
Restaurant style.
NoMoreJuice! 08:33 PM 11-19-2014
I always do restaurant style...too busy running around taking care of slobbers, spills, etc. The kids don't seem to mind because they love eating with their friends, and I can't really imagine finding time to eat with them anyway.
DaveA 03:25 AM 11-20-2014
Restaurant style. I'm sitting at table with them feeding an infant during mealtime.
Heidi 04:55 AM 11-20-2014
A combo of family/restaurant style. I have all toddlers, though.

My almost-2 (who's really advanced) sets the table with the place mats (we made them to show where the plate, fork, and cup go), plates, cups-filled with milk (in each person's color in their spots, mind you..she knows where they go, and I didn't "teach" her).

They all sit down, food goes on the table in bowls, my lunch goes on my spot.

They get their bibs on, with help.

I serve them the food (they are really too little to manage it yet). If it's sandwiches, I say "take one" (quartered), and they put it on their plate.

Hands on laps until everyone has food and I'm sitting.

"Bon Apetit"...

We all eat. Sometimes, I grab the baby and feed him while I'm eating. Kind of a trick, but I've learned to hold his bottle and feed him one handed, eating with the other hand. Mostly, I eat salads so it's not that hard.

Seconds "when your plate is empty".

If I can, I let them scoop seconds, depending on if I'm done eating, or the baby is there, etc.
LoraJenkins 09:39 AM 11-20-2014
Restaurant style/family style here. I make up individual plates after the kids are all strapped into their seats and have their bibs on (they are all 3 and under). I make my plate, then bring all of the plates to the table and we eat together. It is just easier for me since I have some infants that I have to spoon feed also.
daycarediva 10:00 AM 11-20-2014
I just made a switch in Sept. It's like a buffet/cafeteria. The kids can pick/chose what they want to eat, and I relegate the portions (eg. You may have one of that, 1 scoop, whatever) I put out a few condiments as well. They walk down the counter, choose their foods and then walk their plates to the table. We stand behind our chairs until everyone has gone through the 'lunch line' and then they sit and eat.

I sit with them, but I don't eat with them usually.
Scribbles 10:09 AM 11-20-2014
We eat family style.

The kids eat better and rarely waste food.
daycarediva 10:17 AM 11-20-2014
What are your menus like? Can you ask the kids for menu ideas and have them take ownership/plan meals? What about doing a nutrition unit? an 'eat the rainbow' challenge?

I would simplify the heck out of my menus.

Vanilla Greek yogurt, banana
Grilled cheese, tomato soup, peas
Cherry tomatoes, wheat thins

Make a poster about the 'food of the day' and give everyone a taste test and let them move their names on a banana shape to a smiley face or frowny face, etc.
craftymissbeth 10:17 AM 11-20-2014
I didn't vote because I do both family and restaurant style depending on what were having plus how the kids are behaving.
craftymissbeth 10:21 AM 11-20-2014
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
What are your menus like? Can you ask the kids for menu ideas and have them take ownership/plan meals? What about doing a nutrition unit? an 'eat the rainbow' challenge?

I would simplify the heck out of my menus.

Vanilla Greek yogurt, banana
Grilled cheese, tomato soup, peas
Cherry tomatoes, wheat thins

Make a poster about the 'food of the day' and give everyone a taste test and let them move their names on a banana shape to a smiley face or frowny face, etc.
This helped me tremendously! This summer I revamped my menu and now only do one maybe two "fancy" meals a week. Every other day is ridiculously simple... and they eat every single bite plus some.

Plus, it's way cheaper and way easier to clean up after.
melilley 10:29 AM 11-20-2014
Originally Posted by LoraJenkins:
Restaurant style/family style here. I make up individual plates after the kids are all strapped into their seats and have their bibs on (they are all 3 and under). I make my plate, then bring all of the plates to the table and we eat together. It is just easier for me since I have some infants that I have to spoon feed also.
This is what I do!
Every once in a while I let them serve some things themselves like Heidi does.
_Dana_ 11:23 AM 11-20-2014
Originally Posted by jenboo:
Think of it this way... You serve them a specific amount of food. If they eat it, that amount of food is gone (in their stomach) if they don't eat it, that same amount of food is gone (in the trash). Either way, the same amount of food is gone. As long as you don't serve them a different meal if they throw their food away, you are losing the same amount of food just to different places.
Yep. Initially, I was p.o.'ed about how much food was "being wasted" but changed my way of thinking. I remember in my nutrition class that it can take up to 20 or more exposures to a food before children will try it. How else will children learn to like and try other foods if they are not exposed to different foods? kwim?

Like others, I make the required amount of food necessary for my dcks. But if I KNOW that one kid is super picky or doesn't like a particular food, I'll put a small portion on their plate. If they eat it, great! They can have more if they want. If not, my husband will usually finish whatever the kids don't eat when he gets home for lunch.
Heidi 11:31 AM 11-20-2014
With my last group of preschoolers, I hung up the food pyramid near the table. Each meal, we would figure out together what food group each food item was in. Then, we'd make a game of letting them guess.

I found this nutrition themed stuff:

http://www.preschool-plan-it.com/pre...nutrition.html

If you google preschool nutrition theme you will find a bunch of activities. Make it fun.
originalkat 04:09 PM 11-20-2014
That is hilarious! This is EXACTLY the way I see it. EXCEPT when it comes to home-baked goodies---DON'T be throwing my home-baked goodies in the trash!
Country Kids 04:24 PM 11-20-2014
Thank you to whoever posted the poll!

I'm having no problem with breakfast but horrible problems with lunch and snack.

#1 will eat only corn and peas for veggies but most fruits. Won't usually eat what ever we are having for a main part of the meal. Starting to not eat alot I believe because #2 doesn't eat.

#2 will eat no veggies what so ever-nothing and won't even try. Really eats only three or four fruits. Might eat the main part of the meal but its very hit and miss.

#3 and #4 are part-time. #3 usually won't eat if they are here with only #1 and #2. Will eat more if #4 is here because #4 is a great eater.

Alot of days I throw whole plates of food away because #1 and #2 won't eat anything off of them.

I'm really thinking of the nutrition units that Heidi suggested. These kids won't even try anything so I'm not sure how they even know if they like it or not.
Cradle2crayons 04:24 PM 11-20-2014
Restaurant style. I feed an infant while they are eating, I can't sit with them.
I feed them the amount I know they will eat. I'm also feeding others while they are eating in the same room as they eat.
SignMeUp 04:33 PM 11-20-2014
The USDA My Plate site has printable materials. They used to send out posters of My Plate free, but apparently that has ended. You could laminate the posters though. http://www.choosemyplate.gov/print-m...resources.html

I laminated a couple of the posters and they hang above the kids' tables. They love figuring out what is what.

Also, Walmart used to sell the divided My Plate plates for a couple of bucks each. No clue if they still have them - that was a couple of years ago. The plates look exactly like the My Plate poster, and kids can dish their food items into the appropriate places. We only use them if all of our lunch items are all separate - fruit, veg, grain, protein.
And we also use the My Plates for playing bingo with play food, and with toy food in the dramatic play area.
KayB 05:45 PM 11-20-2014
Ahhhh...reading all this makes me SO happy that I switched to them bringing their own lunches! I make their plates with whatever they bring and they all sit at the table together.
Heidi 05:48 PM 11-20-2014
Originally Posted by KayB:
Ahhhh...reading all this makes me SO happy that I switched to them bringing their own lunches! I make their plates with whatever they bring and they all sit at the table together.
Funny...I would HATE that! It's too "schoolish" for my taste, and I like the whole family part of family daycare.

But...to each their own. Sounds like that works for you!
Angelsj 07:03 PM 11-20-2014
Pretty much..lol
I serve a small amount of each food. They can have more if they like once they taste everything there.
jenboo 09:33 PM 11-20-2014
Originally Posted by originalkat:
That is hilarious! This is EXACTLY the way I see it. EXCEPT when it comes to home-baked goodies---DON'T be throwing my home-baked goodies in the trash!
If it's something really yummy, I make them bring it to me before they dump their food into the trash. More for me!
jenboo 09:37 PM 11-20-2014
This would drive me nuts. They would all come with so much junk. They may not eat everything I serve, but at least they are being exposed to it.

Lunch is stress free at my house. They can eat or asked to be excused and read a book. All my kids are 2.5 and under.
Unregistered 03:27 AM 11-21-2014
Restaurant style......family style drives me nuts! I do lots of extra stuff with the kids, but lunch time is a big job and I personally don't have the patience for family style.

I have given kids small portions if they tend waste lots. There's always more if they want it. I tend to have good eaters, I don't know why. Most of my meals are homemade, from scratch, with a focus on fresh, local and organic.

I'm one who will give seconds to good eaters even if they have not eaten everything. If they only eat the carbs or only eat the fruit, then no. But if have eaten everything but their veggies, sure I will give them more spaghetti or roast beef.
KayB 07:04 AM 11-21-2014
This would drive me nuts. They would all come with so much junk. They may not eat everything I serve, but at least they are being exposed to it.

Lunch is stress free at my house. They can eat or asked to be excused and read a book. All my kids are 2.5 and under.
Actually since I have been doing it this way they all come with pretty healthy lunches! Most of the times it is left over dinner from the night before.
LadyK8 08:23 AM 11-21-2014
This is the same situation I'm in.
Heidi 10:49 AM 11-21-2014
Actually since I have been doing it this way they all come with pretty healthy lunches! Most of the times it is left over dinner from the night before.

Good to hear. I think my families now would do okay, but I here from my center cohorts in town that there is a lot of junk in their'kids lunches, and they constantly have to remind parents of the regulations. In WI, even if parents provide the lunch, we have to make sure it meets the licensing regulations, which are the same as the food program regulations. If there is a missing component, we have to add it.
renodeb 11:58 AM 11-21-2014
When I worked at kinder Kare there was excessive food waste. I have been lucky with having kids that eat whatever I offer. I plate the food on trays I bought at walmart. They usually eat all and ask for more. I sit in there with them or I'am feeding a baby while there eatting. I have one kid that simply will not eat any green veges so I offer a small amount for him. There is little waste. Lunch can be a tough time, hang in there.
jenboo 01:16 PM 11-21-2014
Thats great! i know most of my kids would come with easy mac, dino nuggets and fruit snacks.
Unregistered 01:40 PM 11-26-2014
Totally agree!!
Renae82 04:21 PM 12-01-2014
Family style. Little to no food waste since switching. Not sure where the germ factor comes in? Mine serve the food with tongs, not their hands. Kids serve themselves everything except fruit, I serve that. They learn quickly to only take what they will actually eat and I require that they take enough of everything to at least have a taste. Other than that they decide how much they can eat.
AmyKidsCo 12:03 PM 12-02-2014
I do family style but don't sit with them because I'm always running around and never get a chance to sit down anyway. I serve seconds to avoid any "cross contamination" in case the serving spoon would touch their used plates. (gasp!) Not that I'm worried about it, it's just a CYA thing.
KiddieCahoots 01:20 PM 12-02-2014
Restaurant style here.
I know my CDA instructor and EI suggest using family style for lots of positive reasons, but it just doesn't seem to work out for me here.
Cannot handle having to say "take the piece you touch" and "only touch one at a time" anymore. And as much of a good idea the tongs are, I could totally see my kids, especially my own son, using the tongs as a weapon for a sword fight, lol!
Reply Up