Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Why Are Parents So Against?
Unregistered 07:48 AM 01-05-2016
Why are parents so against rice and oatmeal baby cereals? It seems the last few infants I have had their parent were really against rice cereals for their baby. I also have one who wants to bring her own homemade baby food but I am on the food program and I have to supply all food.

What is the big deal on baby cereals?? I always start my infants out on cereal and then when ready move to veggies fruits are always last.
Miss A 07:52 AM 01-05-2016
I have always wondered the same thing. I have always started babies on cereals, and transitioned them to cereals with a little sweetness of flavor with a small juice additive before starting foods. And, what I really struggle with is parents who won't feed their child a certain food "because they made a face when they tried the first bite". It is my experience that you keep serving the food just to acclimate baby to the flavor.
mommyneedsadayoff 07:52 AM 01-05-2016
I am not against cereal for babies, but I really don't think it is necessary, so I don't use it either. For me, it is filler food, so I want them to get their nutrition from the BM or formula, rather than from the cereal. I don't do pureed veg/fruit, though, either. Once they are ready, they get little pieces of soft foods that I will either hand feed them or let them self feed, depending on ability and it is usually not till around 10 months or so.
midaycare 07:58 AM 01-05-2016
Totally depends on the parent over here. One baby was BM only and fed "by the book", only introducing foods the week the doctor said to.

My most recent baby (almost one year now), started feeding dcg regular food at 6 months. Never bought baby food or made it. She was also formula fed and they started milk a few weeks before her first bday.

Both families are awesome.
midaycare 08:01 AM 01-05-2016
Maybe I should try sticking to the topic

One of my families fed rice cereal when the doctor told them to, the other one could have cared less and concentrated more on real foods.
Leigh 08:18 AM 01-05-2016
I know that there are concerns about arsenic levels in rice, but I use oatmeal cereal, anyway, because babies seem to prefer it. There are nutritional benefits to the cereal-most importantly iron, but also B vitamins, Vitamin E, and zinc. Also, it's a good way for babies to practice for "real" food. It should never replace milk, but I use it with babies-I haven't yet encountered a parent who was resistant to using it, but have seen several who wanted to start it way too early.
Thriftylady 08:44 AM 01-05-2016
I haven't had any that were resistant to it I guess. But I haven't had an infant in years. I do think commercial baby foods and "baby food" in general is over rated. DD hardly ate any she wanted table food!
Controlled Chaos 08:47 AM 01-05-2016
It didn't do rice cereal with my 3rd. Just soft table food as she was interested and able from about 6m. Babies don't really NEED rice cereal. If parents offer to bring their own baby food I tell them I will make it myself. I can make enough for a month during one nap. I don't mind. I attract the kind of parent you is into baby lead weaning, cloth diapers and messy free play If you don't agree with the philosophy or it is a food program issue (I am on the food program too so I get it) I would screen better during interviews to find parents on board with your infant feeding preferences.
LysesKids 08:55 AM 01-05-2016
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
It didn't do rice cereal with my 3rd. Just soft table food as she was interested and able from about 6m. Babies don't really NEED rice cereal. If parents offer to bring their own baby food I tell them I will make it myself. I can make enough for a month during one nap. I don't mind. I attract the kind of parent you is into baby lead weaning, cloth diapers and messy free play If you don't agree with the philosophy or it is a food program issue (I am on the food program too so I get it) I would screen better during interviews to find parents on board with your infant feeding preferences.
This is me... child led weaning & no baby cereal. We start out with sweet potatoes and avocado as first first & if cereal is done, it's real oatmeal with mushed fresh fruit. I'm not on the food program, but when I was my lady had no problem with my meals... here in TN we have to offer small pieces of soft foods once a child is at the table ( it's actually in the regs for them to try and feed themselves)
rosieteddy 09:02 AM 01-05-2016
In 30 yrs I have never had a parent not want cereal.Especially the breast fed babies.They need the iron in the cereal.Most of my babies started with rice and a few with oatmeal.I always gave bottle first then solids.In my program I did not include infants under 12 months in food program.Parent sent bottles (3) ready to feed and whatever food for the day.I did buy a parent approved cereal just in case.Once they were 12 months I provided everything and they wer put on food program.In the later years I did not stay on food program and just claimed meals I provided.
LysesKids 09:12 AM 01-05-2016
Originally Posted by rosieteddy:
In 30 yrs I have never had a parent not want cereal.Especially the breast fed babies.They need the iron in the cereal.Most of my babies started with rice and a few with oatmeal.I always gave bottle first then solids.In my program I did not include infants under 12 months in food program.Parent sent bottles (3) ready to feed and whatever food for the day.I did buy a parent approved cereal just in case.Once they were 12 months I provided everything and they wer put on food program.In the later years I did not stay on food program and just claimed meals I provided.
I am infants only under 18 months lol... none of babies had issues with iron and ALL except one in the last 3 years have been breastfed exclusively until 6 months
rosieteddy 09:17 AM 01-05-2016
I had 3 infants with iron deficiency.Two from same mom and one other. Maybe it was a problem with the mom? Dr did recommend iron fortified infant cereal and iron drops. Also it was recommended on the government food site.This was in the last 5 years.
Blackcat31 09:28 AM 01-05-2016
I avoid ANY baby cereal at all costs.

Despite what your pediatrician or WIC recommends babies have trouble digesting grains.

In order to digest grains, your body needs to make use of an enzyme called amylase. Amylase is the enzyme responsible for splitting starches. Babies don’t make amylase in large enough quantities to digest grains until after they are a year old at the earliest. Sometimes it can take up to two years. Newborns don’t produce amylase at all. Salivary amylase makes a small appearance at about 6 months old, but pancreatic amylase (what you need to actually digest grains) is not produced until molar teeth are fully developed! First molars usually don’t show up until 13-19 months old, on average.

Undigested grains wreak havoc on your baby’s intestinal lining. It can throw off the balance of bacteria in their gut and lead to lots of complications as they age including: food allergies, behavioral problems, mood issues, and more.

(read more here: http://www.foodrenegade.com/why-ditch-infant-cereals/)

The food program recommends infant cereal because like the dairy industry....money talks.
Ariana 09:34 AM 01-05-2016
^^^ all of what BC said! I never did cereal with my kids until they were a bit older...maybe 9 months. Even then I would mash it with banana to get amylase into it. Apparently banana has natural amylase in it so it helps to digest it better.
Leigh 09:56 AM 01-05-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Despite what your pediatrician or WIC recommends babies have trouble digesting grains.

In order to digest grains, your body needs to make use of an enzyme called amylase. Amylase is the enzyme responsible for splitting starches. Babies don’t make amylase in large enough quantities to digest grains until after they are a year old at the earliest. Sometimes it can take up to two years. Newborns don’t produce amylase at all. Salivary amylase makes a small appearance at about 6 months old, but pancreatic amylase (what you need to actually digest grains) is not produced until molar teeth are fully developed! First molars usually don’t show up until 13-19 months old, on average.

Undigested grains wreak havoc on your baby’s intestinal lining. It can throw off the balance of bacteria in their gut and lead to lots of complications as they age including: food allergies, behavioral problems, mood issues, and more.

The food program recommends infant cereal because like the dairy industry....money talks.
I had one that couldn't tolerate cereal because of the lack of amylase (according to her doctor). However, she was switched to Happy Bellies brand, and was able to tolerate that. Perhaps it has hydrolyzed proteins? I don't know. It worked for her, though, so I use it for all the babies now.
MunchkinWrangler 10:50 AM 01-05-2016
I'm old school, I did and do cereal. I never had any problems with it at all. I think it's important for iron as well. I only use it for breakfast and there are a few different kinds out there now. I have noticed the increase in patents shunning it but I strongly believe that it's the baby led weaners. So far, just got a new one, 9 months, has no idea how to shift food around in the mouth, even though I was told different and did better eating a puree. I'm starting to just think the opposite of what parents say. I strongly believe that by 9 months they should be moving on to table food but the weaners always seem to be behind and I take the time only because I have a small group. So far out of 3 families, this has been true.
And on a separate note, what the heck about kids hating veggies?!? "oh little one doesn't like it so we just do fruit. " Another vent for another day.
daycarediva 10:58 AM 01-05-2016

Yup. I didn't do cereal until my kids were older, and we went with mashed real food/homemade baby food. I BF for a year min with each, and we did fortified cereals as table top snacks.

We also introduced veggies first, at 6+ months, and waited for the sweet foods, like most fruits. All are great vegetable eaters. No iron deficiencies.
laundrymom 10:58 AM 01-05-2016
Originally Posted by MunchkinWrangler:
And on a separate note, what the heck about kids hating veggies?!? "oh little one doesn't like it so we just do fruit. " Another vent for another day.
Bwawahaha!!
I just sent video to my " won't eat veggies" mom today. Kid loves mine.
MunchkinWrangler 11:09 AM 01-05-2016
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
Bwawahaha!!
I just sent video to my " won't eat veggies" mom today. Kid loves mine.
I love how you get the look like you're trying to torture the kids with veggies. After a couple tries, the babies are smiling with veggies all over their face!
Controlled Chaos 11:54 AM 01-05-2016

Unregistered 12:07 PM 01-05-2016

I am so sick of the dairy industry! And yes it is the same, all about the $$...

I serve my babies the fruit or veg first then cereal.
spedmommy4 12:12 PM 01-05-2016

I always enjoy your posts BC.

I recently had an infant in care and could not believe the amount of juice and cereal recommended for infants. I have never had any parents take issue with it, but I did.
Blackcat31 12:44 PM 01-05-2016
Originally Posted by spedmommy4:
I always enjoy your posts BC.

I recently had an infant in care and could not believe the amount of juice and cereal recommended for infants. I have never had any parents take issue with it, but I did.
As I journey through my own "food education" (my DH was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes a few years back) I am astounded at how much we simply take at face value without really knowing and understanding what real healthy food really is.

One of the "decisions" I need to make this year is whether or not I continue on with the food program. Their requirements are absolutely ridiculous and not even close to being a healthy, well balanced meals. Once I learned a bit about food sources, it became VERY clear who set the standards for what the food program approves and doesn't approve.

I am having a really hard time staying with the food program AND maintaining compliance as their recommendations just don't compute.

.....kind of like common core math
AmyKidsCo 01:08 PM 01-05-2016
I am having a really hard time staying with the food program AND maintaining compliance as their recommendations just don't compute.
I'm not a fan of rice cereal because it doesn't have much nutrition in it.

As far as the food program goes, the minimum amounts are what we have to OFFER, not what the child has to EAT. I make up the minimum amount of cereal, but if baby gets full from fruits/veggies before we get to the cereal...
Sunchimes 01:10 PM 01-05-2016
I've had 2 babies whose liquids had to be thickened with rice cereal because they aspirated. One was past 2 before he passed a swallow test for all liquids but water. He was about 2 1/2 before he passed a water test and we stopped adding cereal.

The other was tube fed, with constant offers of her special formula in a bottle, always thickened with rice cereal. When we finally started offering her food in an attempt to avoid oral aversion, it was cereal, rice, oatmeal, and mixed grains. But, in the end, we avoided aversion, and she can eat anything but really dry stuff, as long as it is pea size or smaller. She still chokes sometimes. Those cereals kept us off the awful path of aversion that so many tubies go through.
Hunni Bee 01:18 PM 01-05-2016
My daughter had a "spice tooth" from jump. She did not like cereals because they were bland...same with mashed potatoes, etc. I just threw out about 8 canisters of rice and oatmeal that had just been sitting because she never ate them.

I mostly used them when she was a little older to make a "smoothie pudding" - fruit, yogurt and cereal - which she loved.
Blackcat31 02:25 PM 01-05-2016
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
I'm not a fan of rice cereal because it doesn't have much nutrition in it.

As far as the food program goes, the minimum amounts are what we have to OFFER, not what the child has to EAT. I make up the minimum amount of cereal, but if baby gets full from fruits/veggies before we get to the cereal...
My main issue with the food program is the requirement of dairy and the enormous amount of grains they require.

I just can't "support" serving that amount of "filler".

While I love whole grains and know the importance of them in a healthy diet, what is really required for good health and digestion is no where near what the food program outlines.
Thriftylady 02:35 PM 01-05-2016
My main issue with the food program is the requirement of dairy and the enormous amount of grains they require.

I just can't "support" serving that amount of "filler".

While I love whole grains and know the importance of them in a healthy diet, what is really required for good health and digestion is no where near what the food program outlines.
I agree with you. I didn't have issue with food program back when I was on it. But when restarting daycare, after having been though diabetic classes, I can't believe they say they are seeing that "healthy" meals are provided. It is the same with school lunches (same program so of course), but DD will come home and tell me what was served and it about makes me fall over. It seems like ALL carbs some days. I mean they will pair peas as a veggie (which are all carbs), with potatoes and pasta of some sort. I would be on the higher tier if I signed up here, based on percentage in our school on free and reduced, but I want to feed the kids better than that.

Then we wonder why the kids won't eat "real" food. I am not even sure many people have a clue what "real" food is anymore.
Leigh 02:41 PM 01-05-2016
Remember, though, that children need more carbs than adults do. It is an important part of the diet. A low carb, diabetic diet for an adult is not appropriate for a healthy child.
Blackcat31 07:14 PM 01-05-2016
Originally Posted by Leigh:
Remember, though, that children need more carbs than adults do. It is an important part of the diet. A low carb, diabetic diet for an adult is not appropriate for a healthy child.
That is true but the types of carbs (complex and simple) are not at all differentiated or defined and calling a piece of white bread with milk a healthy snack is laughable. I might as well serve a handful of Raisinetes and a diet coke and call it good.
daycarediva 03:42 AM 01-06-2016
That is true but the types of carbs (complex and simple) are not at all differentiated or defined and calling a piece of white bread with milk a healthy snack is laughable. I might as well serve a handful of Raisinetes and a diet coke and call it good.
That is my issue with the food program. I am reimbursed and can advertise the same food program participation (and to parents, that mean state approved healthy meals).

I serve non processed whole grain bread, farm fresh scrambled eggs and fresh berries for breakfast

Provider around the corner serves processed white toast loaded with sugar heavy jellies and applesauce (regular applesauce has a RIDICULOUSLY high sugar content.

We are reimbursed the same. There is ZERO education on what real food looks like, or ways to improve our menus.

I also disagree with the protein requirement. A protein a DAY should be served in childcare (eg a set number of grams, Greek Yogurt with breakfast, a cheese stick with snack. We do not NEED a protein at lunch).
Leigh 07:06 AM 01-06-2016
Very true! New kids nearly always freak out about eating whole grain breads at my house because they're used to white bread. They quickly start to actually like the whole grain (I think it has much more flavor). Same with whole grain noodles-they wrinkle their noses, but they always come around. I hate the dairy requirement, too. I am sick of dumping a gallon of milk down the drain every day-none of my kids over 2 years old like to drink milk.
Laurel 09:59 AM 01-06-2016
I haven't read all of the responses but generally I think what babies need or don't need is somewhat just determined by the times. I remember my mother in law telling me that down on the farm there was no baby food. In fact, her mom chewed some of the food and then fed it to the baby! Yuck but it happened. I guess when baby cereal came out and jarred food it seemed more than acceptable!

Then over time more and more research is done and things are changed.

When I was a mom of infants in the 60's and 70's the doctor told me to give them X amount (I forget the amount) of formula a day and once they went over that start offering rice cereal. The object was to keep from not giving too much formula. Me and friends my age told me that's what they did too. The baby was probably getting rice cereal at least by 3 months old. I think it was earlier with mine. Wow, does it make them sleep through the night.

All of my adult kids are in generally good health now. I think so much has to do with genes and other factors. I think so much of how we raise babies/kids more or less changes with the times. Babies have been thriving since the beginning of time on different methods.

Just an aside for any of you 'older' providers. Remember when 'paper' diapers meant you were a bad mom? Then it went to disposable diapers were the greatest thing since sliced bread (I think they were). Now it is leaning back to cloth.

I liked my 'good old days' raising babies. I loved everything this generation now hates for babies.
Leigh 11:25 AM 01-06-2016
Originally Posted by Laurel:
I haven't read all of the responses but generally I think what babies need or don't need is somewhat just determined by the times. I remember my mother in law telling me that down on the farm there was no baby food. In fact, her mom chewed some of the food and then fed it to the baby! Yuck but it happened. I guess when baby cereal came out and jarred food it seemed more than acceptable!

When I was a mom of infants in the 60's and 70's the doctor told me to give them X amount (I forget the amount) of formula a day and once they went over that start offering rice cereal. The object was to keep from not giving too much formula. Me and friends my age told me that's what they did too. The baby was probably getting rice cereal at least by 3 months old. I think it was earlier with mine. Wow, does it make them sleep through the night.

All of my adult kids are in generally good health now. I think so much has to do with genes and other factors. I think so much of how we raise babies/kids more or less changes with the times. Babies have been thriving since the beginning of time on different methods.

Just an aside for any of you 'older' providers. Remember when 'paper' diapers meant you were a bad mom? Then it went to disposable diapers were the greatest thing since sliced bread (I think they were). Now it is leaning back to cloth.

I liked my 'good old days' raising babies. I loved everything this generation now hates for babies.
I remember seeing in my baby book that my mom kept track of what I was eating. I was only several weeks old when she started adding a raw egg to my bottle! Eww...doctor's orders, though!
MunchkinWrangler 11:34 AM 01-06-2016

. That is exactly what it's about. In another 10 years it'll be something new.
Angelsj 01:37 PM 01-06-2016

This exactly.
Laurel 03:48 PM 01-06-2016
I remember seeing in my baby book that my mom kept track of what I was eating. I was only several weeks old when she started adding a raw egg to my bottle! Eww...doctor's orders, though!
Ewww! I remember my mom saying something about putting Karo syrup in the bottle for baby. I just Googled it and it seems it is still added to baby formula for constipation.

I think my grandma rubbed whiskey on our gums for teething pain.
unregistered 08:32 PM 01-07-2016
Rice cereal is pretty void of nutrients and is very similar to eating a rice cake... I figure: why bother? Give 'em real food (purees). I made homemade baby purees for my son and he loved them. Super affordable too. :]
Unregistered 06:00 AM 01-08-2016
Infants especially breastfed infants need the cereal for iron. Not exposing them to cereals early on is what causes food allergies later in life.
Blackcat31 06:33 AM 01-08-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Infants especially breastfed infants need the cereal for iron. Not exposing them to cereals early on is what causes food allergies later in life.
I'd like to see some factual evidence to support this.

All the evidence I've read says feeding them cereal TOO early is what causes allergies so just the opposite of what you posted.
Blackcat31 06:38 AM 01-08-2016
Commercial rice cereal products are usually fortified with iron, but some experts argue that infants may not need the extra iron if they are otherwise well nourished, and too much iron may cause constipation.

According to KellyMom.com, babies who are breastfed for the first six months of life per the American Academy of Pediatrics guidelines may not need additional iron, unless the child's pediatrician determines that breast milk alone isn't providing adequate iron.

Also, formula-fed babies often consume formula that's already fortified with iron. Feeding baby iron-fortified rice cereal without first having iron levels checked to see whether the existing diet is sufficient could make it difficult for stool to pass.

http://everydaylife.globalpost.com/d...ants-4267.html
Ariana 09:42 AM 01-08-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Not true at all! Breastfed infants have iron stores that last well into the first year. I guess we can determine from this statement that many babies all over the world who do not live in developed countries are suffering from low iron and food allergies? Not true at all. Food allergies are born from eating foods that are not tolerated in the body. So many people with diseases that don't even think they are sensitive to wheat, gluten, dairy and soy. I personally think everyone has allergies to these things.
Annalee 10:03 AM 01-08-2016

Yes, cereal does make them sleep through the night. my oldest got cereal early and he is my healthiest...never sick....my youngest not so early but was born with a runny nose I do feel the times and education play a part....and it always goes in circles just like infants sleeping on the back, then the stomach, then the back then the stomach.....it is ever changing due to education
Unregistered 10:34 AM 01-08-2016
I also use only organic infant oatmeal cereal. Partly due to arsenic concerns in rice and partly refined rice has little nutrition. My food program requires infant cereal. I don't start until 6 mo. I'm a believer in real food purees also. I also use organic baby food in the jars.

When my kids were little I never gave them any baby cereal. I breastfed and started solids home pureed at 6/7 mo. That was many years ago. Early 80's!
Laurel 01:25 PM 01-09-2016
Originally Posted by Annalee:
Yes, cereal does make them sleep through the night. my oldest got cereal early and he is my healthiest...never sick....my youngest not so early but was born with a runny nose I do feel the times and education play a part....and it always goes in circles just like infants sleeping on the back, then the stomach, then the back then the stomach.....it is ever changing due to education
I think part of it is just a sincere desire to improve upon the past although some things don't need to be improved on. Then I think sometimes it is just some manufacturer wanting to sell more products to parents. We used to have our childcare meeting in the back room of a baby store. I couldn't believe the stuff they try to sell people. Omg! I said "who buys this junk?" Well apparently not enough to keep the store open cause it closed. Darn we lost a good meeting place though.

It does go in circles. That is just the nature of humans and society. Just like dieting. I watched a show premiere the other night called 'My diet is better than yours.' This is relevant because the contestants picked an expert in the diet they thought would work best for them. 5 or so very different approaches. I told my husband right away that all the diets would work. They all do. I mean all the experts were lean and healthy looking. In other words, there are many ways to do things so now I listen to myself and to heck with the 'experts'. I experiment with what sounds best to me.
Kelly 03:27 PM 01-11-2016
Actually they don't. A low carb diet is not necessarily a diabetic diet (in fact the "diabetic diet" that my endocrinologist and her nutritionist recommend has 3 times the amount of daily carbs that a traditional low carb diet does!) and can be very healthy for both kids and adults, even paleo diets that don't include any grains and ketogenic diets that have almost no carbs at all. I think the most important factor is the quality of the food and I don't see processed baby cereal being very high on the quality spectrum.
Reply Up