Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New Crib Rules
Blackcat31 08:23 AM 11-08-2011
So we just got our November newsletter from licensing telling us that we can no longer use ANY cribs that are not manufactured after June 2011, but what surprised me was we were also told that we cannot even have one in our homes....at all!

So say, we have an heirloom crib our own child is using in a bedroom NOT used for child care, we still canNOT have that crib in our house.

Our licensor also said the next thing they are looking into is PNP's and to be prepared for a rule saying we cannot use them for sleeping purposes anymore after 2012.

We also received 10+ pages about SIDS and NOT ONE SINGLE time in any of the info did it say we could not use car seats for sleeping. The issue is not even addressed...

I don't take young infants, do not allow car seats to remain on my property and am fully aware of the positional asphixiation but am still saddened that it wasn't even mentioned in all the info provided by our licensing agency.
2ndFamilyDC 08:41 AM 11-08-2011
I just went online to babies r us to order a new portable wooden crib for my infant and they are all out. I am hoping they get more in stock soon.

Boy I sure do not like the idea of no pnp's for naptime. I currently own 5 of them, bought in the last few years.
Heidi 08:47 AM 11-08-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
So we just got our November newsletter from licensing telling us that we can no longer use ANY cribs that are not manufactured after June 2011, but what surprised me was we were also told that we cannot even have one in our homes....at all!

So say, we have an heirloom crib our own child is using in a bedroom NOT used for child care, we still canNOT have that crib in our house.

Our licensor also said the next thing they are looking into is PNP's and to be prepared for a rule saying we cannot use them for sleeping purposes anymore after 2012.

We also received 10+ pages about SIDS and NOT ONE SINGLE time in any of the info did it say we could not use car seats for sleeping. The issue is not even addressed...

I don't take young infants, do not allow car seats to remain on my property and am fully aware of the positional asphixiation but am still saddened that it wasn't even mentioned in all the info provided by our licensing agency.
where on earth are they supposed to sleep? You are now going to have to buy new hard sided, full sized, crib for each baby?

Infant care is hard enough to find, and it's not cost effective for most dcp's . Keep adding more regs, why don't you, so no one will take infants!
Heidi 08:48 AM 11-08-2011
Originally Posted by bbo:
where on earth are they supposed to sleep? You are now going to have to buy new hard sided, full sized, crib for each baby?

Infant care is hard enough to find, and it's not cost effective for most dcp's . Keep adding more regs, why don't you, so no one will take infants!
Not you...lol...adding the regs, I mean...
Blackcat31 08:50 AM 11-08-2011
Originally Posted by bbo:

I know right? But in all honestly they don't think it is a problem since we are only allowed 3 infants max at one time and everyone owns 3 full size brand new cribs right?

Oh and toddlers? well, I guess we don't have to nap them any more at all unless we go out and buy more cribs.....Heck, I am going to have to add an addition on for all these cribs...
littlemommy 08:52 AM 11-08-2011
I've been licensed in NE for almost a year, and have not been notified of any changes since I started. Do all states send out a newsletter when any change is made?
renodeb 08:55 AM 11-08-2011
I for one do not have the room for a full sized crib or two. No pnp then where the heck are they supposed to sleep? Are they gona give us money to help with expense. Who makes these rules any ways?
Debbie
Blackcat31 08:56 AM 11-08-2011
Originally Posted by littlemommy:
I've been licensed in NE for almost a year, and have not been notified of any changes since I started. Do all states send out a newsletter when any change is made?
I don't know but here is the link to the crib recalls....I guess it is more than a drop side issue and is recommended that all cribs manufactured before June of 2011 not be used.

http://www.cpsc.gov/info/cribs/index.html
sharlan 09:09 AM 11-08-2011
I don't know but here is the link to the crib recalls....I guess it is more than a drop side issue and is recommended that all cribs manufactured before June of 2011 not be used.

http://www.cpsc.gov/info/cribs/index.html
Amazing how many children slept in drop side cribs without incident.
Meeko 09:20 AM 11-08-2011
You can use the wood portacribs which are smaller than full size cribs. However they must meet the new safety standards and be labelled as such.

We got notified that we can still use pcp's for now.

Our state just sent out info for grants to replace cribs. I got all excited because my pcp's need replacing. Then I found out it's only a grant to replace full size cribs that are no longer legal! So as I have to buy new sleep equipment in the very near future, I am going to buy wood portacribs as they may outlaw pcp's before long and I don't want to have MORE expense.

I am getting the Delta brand crib from Amazon. Exceeds new standards according to their info. I need 4 of them!
Attached: crib.jpg (17.8 KB) 
BigMama 09:45 AM 11-08-2011

Just wondering what state you are in? I can understand the crib restriction as they were recalled, but no PNP's!? I literally do not have room for several cribs! Scary...
Blackcat31 10:13 AM 11-08-2011
Originally Posted by BigMama:
Just wondering what state you are in? I can understand the crib restriction as they were recalled, but no PNP's!? I literally do not have room for several cribs! Scary...
I am in MN. Here is what is written on the CPSC (Consumer Product Safety Commission) website about portable cribs and non-full-size-cribs's :

Are portable cribs or play yards affected by the regulation?
The crib standards cover portable cribs, but not play yards. CPSC’s crib rule includes a standard for full-size cribs (16 CFR part 1219) and a standard for non-full-size cribs (16 CFR part 1220). A non-full-size crib is a crib that is either larger or smaller (or otherwise shaped differently) from a full-size crib. The standard for non-full-size cribs covers portable cribs (a crib that “may be folded or collapsed, without disassembly, to occupy a volume substantially less than the volume it occupies when it is used”) as defined in that standard. The term “non-full-size crib” does not include products with mesh/net/screen or other non-rigid construction. Instead, enclosures with mesh or fabric sides are considered to be play yards and are not subject to the crib standards.
CPSC is developing a separate mandatory federal standard for play yards.

The last sentence in bold leads me to believe what my licensor said about expecting new changes regarding PNP's to be coming soon too.
GrannyJ 11:04 AM 11-08-2011
Not all states send out newsletters. I am in CA and we have to go to the gov. licensing website and it is printed there. So it is our responsibility to find out what is new!
Unregistered 11:46 AM 11-08-2011
That last sentence about play yards leads me to believe we will be able to use some.
Cat Herder 12:16 PM 11-08-2011
The term “non-full-size crib” does not include products with mesh/net/screen or other non-rigid construction. Instead, enclosures with mesh or fabric sides are considered to be play yards and are not subject to the crib standards.[/i]
CPSC is developing a separate mandatory federal standard for play yards.

The last sentence in bold (and underlined) leads me to believe what my licensor said about expecting new changes regarding PNP's to be coming soon too.
The sentence I put in bold (and underlined) seems to be the "money shot" our inspectors are focusing on right now.

PNP's will no longer be considered cribs in the very near future.

"All infants must be placed on their backs, with a tight fitting sheet/mattress, in an approved crib, for sleep. No blankets, pillows, bumpers or toys are to be allowed in cribs."

They are still sorting out the details. I could not get a solid answer.
SimpleMom 12:17 PM 11-08-2011
I am still confused. Can we NOT use portable cribs even if after june '11?
Blackcat31 12:20 PM 11-08-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
The sentence I put in bold seems to be the "money shot" our inspectors are focusing on right now.

PNP's will no longer be considered cribs.

"All infants must be placed on their backs, with a tight fitting sheet/mattress, in an approved crib, for sleep. No blankets, pillows, bumpers or toys are to be allowed in cribs."

They are still sorting out the details. I could not get a solid answer.
That's what I was thinking too....our licensing standards say that infants cannot use play yards with mesh siding for sleeping purposes already..... but the wording is really confusing

Subp. 9. Infant and newborn sleeping space.
There must be a safe, comfortable sleeping space for each infant and newborn. A crib, portable crib, or playpen with waterproof mattress or pad must be provided for each infant or newborn in care. The equipment must be of safe and sturdy construction that conforms to volume 16, parts 1508 to 1508.7 and parts 1509 to 1509.9 of the Code of Federal Regulations, its successor, or have a bar or rail pattern such that a 2-3/8 inch diameter sphere cannot pass through. Playpens with mesh sidings must not be used for the care or sleeping of infants or newborns.

Cat Herder 12:22 PM 11-08-2011
That's what I was thinking too....our licensing standards say that infants cannot use play yards with mesh siding for sleeping purposes already..... but the wording is really confusing

Subp. 9. Infant and newborn sleeping space.
There must be a safe, comfortable sleeping space for each infant and newborn. A crib, portable crib, or playpen with waterproof mattress or pad must be provided for each infant or newborn in care. The equipment must be of safe and sturdy construction that conforms to volume 16, parts 1508 to 1508.7 and parts 1509 to 1509.9 of the Code of Federal Regulations, its successor, or have a bar or rail pattern such that a 2-3/8 inch diameter sphere cannot pass through. Playpens with mesh sidings must not be used for the care or sleeping of infants or newborns.
Ding, ding, ding.... My regs don't have that sentence yet. I bet dollars to doughnuts that is what is next.
Blackcat31 12:26 PM 11-08-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Ding, ding, ding.... My regs don't have that sentence yet. I bet dollars to doughnuts that is what is next.
Nope, next we will be required to grow a few more arms and just hold them while they sleep.
Cat Herder 12:31 PM 11-08-2011
Nope, next we will be required to grow a few more arms and just hold them while they sleep.
True...

Now they have to figure out how to change the words Play Yards to Play Pens and you have a "minor" amendment to be passed, without much notice, at the drop of a hat, with a HUGE ripple effect on us.
Blackcat31 12:35 PM 11-08-2011
Originally Posted by SimpleMom:
I am still confused. Can we NOT use portable cribs even if after june '11?
I think portable cribs must pass the new standards too. There is a question and answer section in the link and it says that portable cribs have the same standards as full size cribs. http://www.cpsc.gov/onsafety/2011/06...s-and-answers/

Scroll down to the area where it says "Childcare Centers, Churches and Hospitals." in bold. (the first sentence lists family child care homes too).
Springdaze 12:36 PM 11-08-2011
i can sorta see the danger with cribs, but why pnps?
Tin Blues 12:52 PM 11-08-2011
I was led to believe it would be possible to obtain a certificate of compliance from the crib manufacturer if the crib met federal guidelines despite having been purchased before June 2011. Aren't some states allowing this?
Blackcat31 01:00 PM 11-08-2011
Originally Posted by Tin Blues:
I was led to believe it would be possible to obtain a certificate of compliance from the crib manufacturer if the crib met federal guidelines despite having been purchased before June 2011. Aren't some states allowing this?
The site says:

"You cannot tell from looking at a crib whether it meets the new standards. It is not likely that cribs in use before the Commission issued its crib rule in December 2010 will comply with the new standards

You can ask the manufacturer or retailer for a copy of the certificate of compliance that should indicate that the crib is certified to meet 16 CFR 1219 or 16 CFR 1220. Beginning June 28, 2011, all cribs manufactured or offered for sale, lease, or resale are required to meet the new crib standards."

So I think if you can get a copy of that certificate of compliance then you should be ok. I'd double check with your licensor though to be on the safe side.
AfterSchoolMom 02:09 PM 11-08-2011
Originally Posted by :
Originally Posted by :
Now they have to figure out how to change the words Play Yards to Play Pens and you have a "minor" amendment to be passed, without much notice, at the drop of a hat, with a HUGE ripple effect on us.

Reasons number 12,467 and 12,468 why I refuse to pursue a license. Does anyone else but me see the ridiculousness of being told what you can and can't have in your own house?!?

Sorry for the threadjack.
Tags:crib rules, infant care, pnp, regulations
Reply Up