Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>SO MAD....Thinking About Adding to My Sick Child Policy
Sprouts 06:29 PM 04-03-2012
So the 11 month old baby i watch comes in a little off...she was sneezing all day and had clear persistent runny nose, barely napped..... i KNEW and had that GUT feeling to send her home, but of course my back bone bent a little and i didnt, and thouhght "hmmmm, maybe allergies??".....and of course the next day she is sick and doesnt come in....but what mom didnt tell me was that hubby was REALLy sick!! and didnt warn us...so now I am starting to feel a little off...i am pregnant and also watch 5 other children (including my two)....

so I am think of adding....."persistent sneezing and clear runny nose" (BECAUSE these are the first symptoms of a cold and are usually the most contagious times)...

here is my current policy....if you like, copy it, use it, share it, i got most of information from this forum, so thank you ladies =)

Wellness Policy Statement of Understanding
Please read wellness policy carefully so we all have the same understanding when it comes to keeping all of our children happy and healthy.
Please initial each statement to recognize understanding

______I agree to notify the day care at drop off of ANY medication given to the child within six hours of the drop off.
______I understand that if my child exhibits any of the following symptoms, I or one of my emergency contacts are required to pick them up within 45 minutes of being notified.
1. Fever 100.0 F or above (please do not give medication before drop off to mask fever or symptoms)
2. Vomiting,
3. Diarrhea,
4. An undetermined body rash,
5. A persistent NON-CLEAR runny nose,
6. Coughing***,
7. Extreme changes in usual behavior.*
______I understand that children who have vomited or have diarrhea are not allowed to enter the day care until they are symptom free for a full 24 hours.
______"In certain situations, a medical form must be obtained before your child can be re-admitted into care. These forms require a written diagnosis from the child's physician and must state the following information:
• the diagnosis
• the treatment
• length of recommended exclusion
Re-admission to child care will be at MY discretion. Please do not assume the doctor can give permission for re-admittance.
______I understand that Sprouting Learners does not administer nebulizer or breathing treatments.
_______In case of accidental injury or emergency illness, I will be notified immediately after emergency medical services have been summoned.* Sprouting Learners will not accompany any child to the hospital or physicians office if emergency medical services is enlisted unless there is enough staff.*

***There are times when a child may be excluded due to the required amount of care he/she needs when experiencing a common cold or illness. For example, a cough that is disruptive to normal daily activities, when a child is unable to cover his/her mouth while coughing or when the amount of nasal discharge or fluid becomes unmanageable for the provider to continue maintaining a sanitary environment. This will occur at my discretion and will be handled on an individual basis."

Parent Name: ________________________ Signature: ________________ Date: _____________
Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. It means a lot to all of us, the children, the staff, and families.
Heidi 07:39 PM 04-03-2012
This is just my opinion, but if I excluded for a runny nose, I'd have no business here. I have 5 in my group, 4 of which are sibs; someone ALWAYS has a runny nose.

I feel bad that you are getting sick now on top of baby and daycare, but anytime you work with "the public", you're exposed. Actually, pretty much every day you are on the planet, you are exposed to stuff. I used was a bank teller for years...talk about exposure to germs..eww

Hopefully, your super-pregnancy hormones will throw themselves in front of the germs and say "NO! Do not enter here!"
Michael 10:34 PM 04-03-2012
More sick policy samples: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...policy+samples
SunshineMama 04:23 AM 04-04-2012
I would add it at your discretion. If it is a "mouther" baby who cant control the spread of germs I would invoke the no runny nose part of your policy.
cheerfuldom 09:20 AM 04-04-2012
I add in something to the effect of "children have to be able to continue with the normal daycare routine. Only sleep when it is nap time, play when it is play time, etc. If a child is not able to participate with the normal activity of the group, they will be sent up, regardless of particular symptoms. This will be done at my discretion"

I don't wait for certain temps or certain colors on runny noses. I know these kids, I know when they are sick, and I will send home as I see fit. I would have sent her home when I had that gut feeling and she didnt nap (assuming she is a great napper otherwise). you can't take chances when your are pregnant.
Sprouts 04:39 PM 04-04-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I add in something to the effect of "children have to be able to continue with the normal daycare routine. Only sleep when it is nap time, play when it is play time, etc. If a child is not able to participate with the normal activity of the group, they will be sent up, regardless of particular symptoms. This will be done at my discretion"

I don't wait for certain temps or certain colors on runny noses. I know these kids, I know when they are sick, and I will send home as I see fit. I would have sent her home when I had that gut feeling and she didnt nap (assuming she is a great napper otherwise). you can't take chances when your are pregnant.
Yes i totally agree, thank you, I have to put myself and my family first....becasue now i feel horrible, eating spicy chicken soup and all i want is a nice good nap which i cant even take ;/

ok good night all
Tags:sick policy, sick policy samples
Reply Up