Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>18 Month Sleep Training
Unregistered 11:02 AM 03-23-2018
I have a new DCG who came to me from a center. She cries and cries through the entire nap time. The first day I stayed in the room and patted her back until she fell asleep. Day two I stayed in but didn’t pat her back. Both days she woke and cried after about 30 minutes. Day three until now, I’ve been doing the Ferber method. It’s not working. She screams at the top of her lungs. I know she understands what I want from her because she lays back down the second I enter the room, if she was standing or sitting. I can’t stay in the room because I have a newborn in care.

The other kids napping in the same room are actually sleeping through it so I’m not concerned about having her in the room. I just know she needs to sleep! This is the first time I didn’t start a child as an infant.

Does anyone have any pointers for me?

Note: I searched the forums looking for advice but most threads concerned much younger children.
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 11:10 AM 03-23-2018
It will take much much longer than 3 days.
Unregistered 11:15 AM 03-23-2018
Originally Posted by TheMisplacedMidwestMom:
It will take much much longer than 3 days.
I figured it would but am I doing this correctly? I want make sure I’m starting off on the right foot, since I’ve never sleep trained this age.
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 11:28 AM 03-23-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I figured it would but am I doing this correctly? I want make sure I’m starting off on the right foot, since I’ve never sleep trained this age.
You're doing what I would do. I'm sure others will have more input. But I would stay the course and be consistent. Though at that age it will be hard behavior to unlearn.
Blackcat31 11:50 AM 03-23-2018
Do you know how the center put her down for nap or how her parents do?
Unregistered 12:06 PM 03-23-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Do you know how the center put her down for nap or how her parents do?
I don’t know how the center did it but I do know that she napped there consistently. Her parents baby her big time. I have talked to them about it and let them know that things will go much smoother if we can be unified in our processes. They seemed open to it. They are aware that she’s doing some crying here. She has gone to sleep finally today though after 45 minutes!! Woohoo!
storybookending 12:17 PM 03-23-2018
I am surprised coming from a center that she has so much trouble. What are you napping her in? Pack n okay? Mat? Crib??
Blackcat31 12:22 PM 03-23-2018
She might do better on a nap mat or cot.

I transition kids out of a crib/PNP as soon as I can once they turn 12 months. IME, most kids do better on cots or nap mats in comparison to a crib or PNP.

I also do not allow them to ever stand in the crib or PNP and this helps alot as most kids that cry at nap time will fall asleep much faster in the seated or lying down position than they will if they are standing.

If they stand, some of these little munchkins can cry longer than the day is long!

I know that doesn't help much now as you didn't start her until now but I do think you might have some luck trying a nap mat or cot.
Explora 12:24 PM 03-23-2018
Yeah, I have to agree, I find 2 weeks average adjustment with any child, some as long as a month. It all takes time.. when they change their enviroment, food changes, friends change, different caregivers. They need time to adjust. Youve got the right plan, keep your course. Make them feel safe and by giving them the time they need, you earn thier trust. Its magic.

Some kids will walk in with zero concerns for you. 😂 Its amazing to see independant kids at work too 🙃
Ariana 06:45 PM 03-23-2018
I transition to cots around 2-2.5 depending on how long the kids has been with me. I like them to be well established in my routine first. When sleep training a child I go in every 15 minutes to plop them on their tummies and say ‘night night’. If I find this is making things worse I may stretch it to 30 minutes. I can usually have a kid sleep trained in 3 days.

Is she on a different schedule at your house?

Could this be the time change if you guys have daylights savings time? (I had some issues this week with a 12 month old as parents did nothing to mitigate the time change so she came to me having apparently dopped her morning nap and only taking an hour nap in the afternoon .....turns out it was all due to the time shift and moron parents. After her 3rd day here she took an hour morning nap and a 3 hour afternoon nap. Poor thing was exhausted)

If we are to believe the parents that she slept well at her previous daycare what was different? Was she on a cot?

It seems weird to me that she is not responding after 3 days of sleep training. This means her screaming and crying is being responded to and has been for some time. This is an extablished habit that will take more time to break.
Unregistered 07:18 PM 03-23-2018
Thanks for the encouragement all!

I am currently using pack n plays. She was on a cot at her daycare. Mom admits they get her every time she makes a peep but she is very on board with getting on my routine at home. She asks a lot of very specific questions so I’m hopeful that she isn’t just blowing smoke.

I’m using pack n plays because my plan is to transition all of my toddlers at the same time into a different part of my house for cot napping. They are all around 18 months except for my one newborn and the rest do great in pack n plays. I’ll definitely consider switching her before the others though.

I’ll keep with it! She’s a wonderful girl...very smart and I really enjoy having her!
storybookending 08:15 PM 03-23-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Thanks for the encouragement all!

I am currently using pack n plays. She was on a cot at her daycare. Mom admits they get her every time she makes a peep but she is very on board with getting on my routine at home. She asks a lot of very specific questions so I’m hopeful that she isn’t just blowing smoke.

I’m using pack n plays because my plan is to transition all of my toddlers at the same time into a different part of my house for cot napping. They are all around 18 months except for my one newborn and the rest do great in pack n plays. I’ll definitely consider switching her before the others though.

I’ll keep with it! She’s a wonderful girl...very smart and I really enjoy having her!
I would maybe try switching her to a cot or nap mat now if that is what she is used to. I recently switched a child to a toddler bed from a pack n play. If he starts acting up I go in, say nothing, pick him up and take him to the room with the pack n plays place him down and tell him night night. Boy does he get ticked! I let him scream for a minute or two, go in, crouch down and ask him if he’s ready to nap like a big boy. Then I walk him back to his big boy bed, say night night and he’s out like a light. I kind of saw this with my niece when I switched her as well. Once they have been granted access to the big kid room they hate the idea of being back in a pack n play at daycare.
Unregistered 10:40 AM 03-24-2018
Originally Posted by storybookending:
I would maybe try switching her to a cot or nap mat now if that is what she is used to. I recently switched a child to a toddler bed from a pack n play. If he starts acting up I go in, say nothing, pick him up and take him to the room with the pack n plays place him down and tell him night night. Boy does he get ticked! I let him scream for a minute or two, go in, crouch down and ask him if he’s ready to nap like a big boy. Then I walk him back to his big boy bed, say night night and he’s out like a light. I kind of saw this with my niece when I switched her as well. Once they have been granted access to the big kid room they hate the idea of being back in a pack n play at daycare.

Great idea! I’ll try it! I’m betting it will work since she HATES the pack n play...
Tags:18 month old, sleep training, sleep training - 18 month
Reply Up