Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I'm So Mad
booroo 09:30 AM 04-27-2010
Ok, so I have not seen the one dcb since last tuesday. I havent heard from them since wednesday night. So Im thinking, that, she has pulled him out of daycare, which is fine, but she owes me money. Im sure I will never see it. Have decided that if she does come back, Im going to have my contract available again for her to reread. Im going to highlight some areas.

Then the other family, I called them saturday and told them that my 2 year old was sick, very sick and that we dont know what is going on. I told them that I would not do care this week. The mom says ok. Dad shows up this morning, with little girl and says that son will be here after school. I told him that I wasnt doing care this week since my son is very ill. Dad says ya we know, we dont care that hes sick. Yesterday we learned from the DR that he has ear infection, tonselists, and walking pneumonia. Which mean breathing treatments, every 2 to 4 hours. I told the dad what he has, he was like, thats fine. Well my son is in no shape to go outside, or play. He is 2, so how do I keep him confinded to his room?

Im in no shape to care for kids, with my lack of sleep, I mean getting up every 2 hours is not fun, I have to do it. This all happened because I allowed the one dcb to come, even though the mom said it was allergies, Im thinking not.

What should I do for the rest of the week, I mean I need a nap so bad and I was going to rest with my son when he took his nap, but now I cant.

What would you all do?
judytrickett 09:33 AM 04-27-2010
Originally Posted by booroo:
What would you all do?
What would I do? Well, first off I would NOT have given the dcfamilies a choice in the matter. I chose when I am closed. And closed means CLOSED!

YOUR family comes first - ALWAYS! Do you think that if that dcdad's child was sick he would take YOU into consideration?? No way in hell!

Tell them NO CARE this week. YOU are the boss.

YOUR business - YOUR rules. Period.
MarinaVanessa 09:39 AM 04-27-2010
Absolutely. You already told them that you would not care for them and they still brought their kids??? WTH? That alone would irritate me.

I'd call them and tell them that it's physically too difficult for you to stay open because you have to care for your own child around the clock. My families know that it is up to them to find alternate care. It's Tuesday so it's not like mom can't take two sick days and then dad the next two sick days off.
Daycare Mommy 10:17 AM 04-27-2010
Call mom or dad and get that kid picked up now. You told them back on Saturday that you are closed and closed means closed, not come if you want to risk getting sick. Sheesh! Some people!

I hope your son is feeling better very soon, booroo. You take care of yourself too.
momofboys 10:27 AM 04-27-2010
Ok, so I have not seen the one dcb since last tuesday. I havent heard from them since wednesday night. So Im thinking, that, she has pulled him out of daycare, which is fine, but she owes me money. Im sure I will never see it. Have decided that if she does come back, Im going to have my contract available again for her to reread. Im going to highlight some areas.

Then the other family, I called them saturday and told them that my 2 year old was sick, very sick and that we dont know what is going on. I told them that I would not do care this week. The mom says ok. Dad shows up this morning, with little girl and says that son will be here after school. I told him that I wasnt doing care this week since my son is very ill. Dad says ya we know, we dont care that hes sick. Yesterday we learned from the DR that he has ear infection, tonselists, and walking pneumonia. Which mean breathing treatments, every 2 to 4 hours. I told the dad what he has, he was like, thats fine. Well my son is in no shape to go outside, or play. He is 2, so how do I keep him confinded to his room?

Im in no shape to care for kids, with my lack of sleep, I mean getting up every 2 hours is not fun, I have to do it. This all happened because I allowed the one dcb to come, even though the mom said it was allergies, Im thinking not.

What should I do for the rest of the week, I mean I need a nap so bad and I was going to rest with my son when he took his nap, but now I cant.

What would you all do?
I'm sorry about your son! I hope he is feeling better soon. I have experience doing those breathing treatments & it can be tough, especially getting up in the middle of the night. I don't blame you for closing; however, you need t enforce it if you are going to get any rest. Hugs! Call parents & remind them that you closed, since they did have one child come I would charge them a major inconvenience fee. Regarding your other client that owes you $$$ I wouldn't wait until they call for care, I would copy your agreement/contract highlighting the pertinent parts & mail it to them certified with a note showing how much they owe. Good luck!
misol 10:48 AM 04-27-2010
Originally Posted by Daycare Mommy:
Call mom or dad and get that kid picked up now. You told them back on Saturday that you are closed and closed means closed, not come if you want to risk getting sick. Sheesh! Some people!

I hope your son is feeling better very soon, booroo. You take care of yourself too.
I agree with the others in that you should tell them that you are closed this week and it's not optional. However, since you did accept the girl this morning, I would not call the dad at work and just stick it out for the rest of the day. At pick up, tell him that you were surprised to see him this morning after you said that you were closed. Maybe you could tell him you only took the kid today because there may have been some miscommunication when his wife relayed the message to him that you were closed. Make it clear that you are sorry for the inconvenience but you are NOT open for the remainder of the week. It would be nice if you had someone you could refer them to for back-up care.

Oh, and tomorrow morning DO NOT answer the door and DO NOT answer phone calls from them.
Crystal 12:17 PM 04-27-2010
So sorry to hear about your son, I hope he feels better quickly.

On another note, I can see the parents side of this....we offer a service that they pay for. They DEPEND on us to be available when they are working. Not being open for a whole week can cost them their job, and you yours. I honestly cannot imagine parents tolerating their provider being closed for a whole week, without appropriate notice. Is it possible for you to have someone come in and help you....it would really suck to lose another client.

Please don't be offended, that is not my intent, just looking at it from another perspective.

Hugs to your son
booroo 01:07 PM 04-27-2010
Originally Posted by Crystal:

On another note, I can see the parents side of this....we offer a service that they pay for. They DEPEND on us to be available when they are working. Not being open for a whole week can cost them their job, and you yours. I honestly cannot imagine parents tolerating their provider being closed for a whole week, without appropriate notice. Is it possible for you to have someone come in and help you....it would really suck to lose another client.

Please don't be offended, that is not my intent, just looking at it from another perspective.

Hugs to your son
well since I don't get paid until after the care is recieved, it's my right to close!! I have 3 kids that I watch, these 2 are 3 day a week kids... So I gave them plenty of notice, the moms schedule is made weekly I called on Saturday while they were making the schedule and she said no problem, and they do have back up care!!! Also dad works 10 to 6 every day, little girl was brought at 8am!!

The other boy comes whenever mom decides to work.
Crystal 03:55 PM 04-27-2010
well since I don't get paid until after the care is recieved, it's my right to close!! I have 3 kids that I watch, these 2 are 3 day a week kids... So I gave them plenty of notice, the moms schedule is made weekly I called on Saturday while they were making the schedule and she said no problem, and they do have back up care!!! Also dad works 10 to 6 every day, little girl was brought at 8am!!

I suppose you can look at it that way, but then, I guess it's also the parent's right to not bring them back if you cannot accomodate their work schedules.

Of course, Dad SHOULD have kept girl til' time to work...and SHOULD have tried to be more considerate of your family and your child being sick.
judytrickett 05:28 PM 04-27-2010

Yeppers....and how many times has that same family brought their kids on their paid day off?? Or how many times did that same family show up, complain that they (the adults) were sick and then go home to rest for the day??

My guess is plenty....

But when it comes to YOU and YOUR family the rules are different.

Trust me....Daycare parents will ALWAYS do what is best for them. Take care of YOU because no one else will. And if it suited the daycare parents to take a week off to care for their child they would do it with NO consideration AT ALL for you.
momofboys 06:23 PM 04-27-2010
I think you are doing the right thing for you & your family. There is NOTHING more important than caring for your own. I find it quite inconsiderate that the parent still brought their kids. It was rude & did not take your feelings into account at all. If you are up half the night doing breathing treatments you will not be 100% yourself either. Having extra people in your house won't help you get the rest you need so you don't get sick, too. Take care & keep us posted. I think you did nothing wrong. You did what I would do too. I have in my contract that parents must have back-up care available to them. Regarding giving them proper notice. . . you had no control over your child's illness the same as if there was a death in the family, you can't exactly give notice to parents for unexpected situations. That's life! Illnesses & deaths are something we can't control. I guess my question is for Crystal. . . if you had an unexpected serious illness in your family or even a death in the family & had to take several days off unexpectedly do you find that unacceptable? I'm not being knit-picky with you but just wonder why you think a provider should still provide a service when life throws unexpected issues at their feet? IMO that's precisely why parents need back-up care.
booroo 06:36 PM 04-27-2010
Thanks janarea!! I'm on my itouch sitiing in hospital with son, he was really struggling to breath!! Of course a co poets stranger had to take him to the hospital because I had dck!!!
I'm so upset right now!! This is my husbands busy time and he was in a field over 4hours away.... Since we just moved to this community we don't really know alot of people, but time was not on our side. I called the parents, took them 2 hours to get here!!!
But son is getting his o2 and in iv, and this is the reason WHY I didn't want dck!!! He had to go through this with some one that he doesn't know very well and not his mommy!!!
I'm closed the rest of the week and if they want to find some other DAYCARE, so be it!!!
QualiTcare 07:01 PM 04-27-2010

Hugs to your son
i totally agree 100%. what are THEY supposed to do when they have to go to work??

thank god i hardly get sick, but i have a back up plan if i do (or my own kids do) and that's my mother in law. of course i told the parents she would "sub" if anything ever happened like that, and she has kept one of my sick kids before, but never had to cover for me.

i couldn't imagine my daycare just suddenly closing for a week or however long. i'd have to find another.
misol 07:12 PM 04-27-2010
Thanks janarea!! I'm on my itouch sitiing in hospital with son, he was really struggling to breath!! Of course a co poets stranger had to take him to the hospital because I had dck!!!
I'm so upset right now!! This is my husbands busy time and he was in a field over 4hours away.... Since we just moved to this community we don't really know alot of people, but time was not on our side. I called the parents, took them 2 hours to get here!!!
But son is getting his o2 and in iv, and this is the reason WHY I didn't want dck!!! He had to go through this with some one that he doesn't know very well and not his mommy!!!
I'm closed the rest of the week and if they want to find some other DAYCARE, so be it!!!
Oh booroo! My heart is breaking for you. I can't even imagine how you must be feeling right now. Next time I would tell the parents that they had to pick up dck from the emergency room!!!!!!!! I understand that we should look at issues from both sides to be fair but your own family comes first - ALWAYS. Thank God for your neighbor that was able to take your son to the ER. You and your son are in my prayers.
Crystal 07:29 PM 04-27-2010
Ya know, in your original post you did not say your son was in the hospital....you said you wanted to nap with him. SO, I assumed you were all home and okay and you could work. I REALLY am sorry that he is sick, even moreso now that you say he's in the hospital.

If I had a HUGE emergency, of course I would close if I had no other option. And, I know my families would understand. They have all been with me for years. I have 14 kids and I know my parents would TOTALLY be supportive of me taking the time I needed. I hope yours understand as well.

BUT, if it was because my son was sick with a fever/ear infection/tonsilitis,(something I recall from an earlier posting/not sure if you edited?) they would probably not take kindly to me closing for a week to be home alone with him. They DEPEND on us, just as we depend on them.

Again....I hope your son recovers quickly.
safechner 08:14 PM 04-27-2010
I am so sorry to hear that but I will be in prayer for you and your son. Getting well soon!

I agree with you to be closed the rest of the week for your son...
Daycare Mommy 03:18 AM 04-28-2010
Oh my goodness! Why on Earth did it take them 2 hours to get to you after you told them your son was being hospitalized?? Please tell me that they do something they CAN'T walk away from, like they're both surgeons or something. I can't imagine what would be so important otherwise! I mean if it was their son could not breathe... Unless there is a VERY legitimate reason for taking 2 hours to get to you I would terminate their care effective immediately or after the required notice. Thank God for your neighbor! I will be praying for your son, booroo!
booroo 11:18 AM 04-28-2010
Well Crystal and quilcare it's nice to know that you have the picture perfect daycare and run the best business out there; and that your way is the only way!! No Crystal I did not edit!! On Monday at the drs he had ear infection, tonselust and walking pneumonia. By tuesday afternoon he was really strugling to breath, his puls oxygen was 68.... Um it's suppose be 100, you do the math!! He was admitted by a family friend, while I waited for parnets to come get kids!! Mom went shopping out of town and dad was stuck at work! My husband was in the field 4 hours away, he did get the message and made his way home!! When my dck left, I left my 13 year old in charge of my other 2 kids and went to the hospital.. So glad I did, he will be here until his pulse oxygen stay above 95 on room air only, which at this point could be Friday.

Now tell me if I told the parnets on Saturday that I was closed for the week and they are suppose to have back up care for unexpected emergencies; which you 2 never seem to encounter because your world is so perfect, then did I have to send my 2 year old son to the hospital with a family friend instead of his mom?? That's great that you have family to help, I DONT!!

I closed for a reason, because I knew that being up all night ever 2 hours to do breathing treatments that I was not in a position to care for other children!!! Wow so glad I took that into consideration when telling the parents CLOSED for the week, or 3 days for them!! One day of which the mom went shopping, while I cared for her children while mine was being hospialized!!!
jen 11:29 AM 04-28-2010
Well Crystal and quilcare it's nice to know that you have the picture perfect daycare and run the best business out there; and that your way is the only way!! No Crystal I did not edit!! On Monday at the drs he had ear infection, tonselust and walking pneumonia. By tuesday afternoon he was really strugling to breath, his puls oxygen was 68.... Um it's suppose be 100, you do the math!! He was admitted by a family friend, while I waited for parnets to come get kids!! Mom went shopping out of town and dad was stuck at work! My husband was in the field 4 hours away, he did get the message and made his way home!! When my dck left, I left my 13 year old in charge of my other 2 kids and went to the hospital.. So glad I did, he will be here until his pulse oxygen stay above 95 on room air only, which at this point could be Friday.

Now tell me if I told the parnets on Saturday that I was closed for the week and they are suppose to have back up care for unexpected emergencies; which you 2 never seem to encounter because your world is so perfect, then did I have to send my 2 year old son to the hospital with a family friend instead of his mom?? That's great that you have family to help, I DONT!!

I closed for a reason, because I knew that being up all night ever 2 hours to do breathing treatments that I was not in a position to care for other children!!! Wow so glad I took that into consideration when telling the parents CLOSED for the week, or 3 days for them!! One day of which the mom went shopping, while I cared for her children while mine was being hospialized!!!
Hugs to you and your family. I am sorry that your DCP is an inconsiderate jerk. As for some of the other posters the bottom line is this...

There are always going to be those people who think that they have all the answers, do your best to ignore it. Some people just need to prop themselves up a bit.
Daycare Mommy 12:08 PM 04-28-2010
Please don't let anyone here upset you booroo. You just take care of yourself and be there for your family. I'm still praying for your little one. ((hugs))
Crystal 12:11 PM 04-28-2010
Booroo, I'll say it aain, I did not realize your son was so sick he needed to be hospitalized....of course I would expect parents to respect that I needed time off if my child was sick enough to be hospitalized. I do apologize for not realizing that your son was that sick.

I do not think I have a "perfect" daycare. I make plenty of mistakes, and I seek advice and guidance, and do my best to correct them. I do have issue that come up, and I deal with them accordingly.

My original point was that I can understand a parents perspective on their daycare not being available for a whole week....that was BEFORE you said how sick your son is.

FTR, I don't have ANY family here, my closest relative is 4 hours way. I do have substitutes that I can call if needed though, that way I don't have to close.

Again, I am sorry to hear about your son, I hope he is feeling better today.
AfterSchoolMom 03:00 PM 04-28-2010
Booroo, I hope your son is doing better, and that he comes home soon!!!
melissa ann 03:19 PM 04-28-2010
I'm so sorry to hear about your son. I will keep him in my prayers. How sad that you couldn't take your son to the hospital yourself. Don't worry about dcp. Just concentrate on your son. Parents need to realize that things happen that we have no control over and if we have to close, then so be it. If they respect us, they would understand, especally if you rarely close.
Take care of yourself too.
momma2girls 03:47 PM 04-28-2010

My heart goes out to you Booroo. I hope your son is well and out of the hosp. soon!!! Take care!! Our children come first always!!!!!!
missnikki 07:10 AM 04-29-2010
booroo,
after all is said and done here, I think we are all on the same page...we all want your family back to normal and your son healed. Stay in good spirits for him, and stay strong. Give him a special hug from all of your 'virtual coworkers'!!!
ps- get yourself some much needed rest.
momofsix 07:45 AM 04-29-2010
Booroo, I hope your son is feeling better, prayers for you and your family.
Unregistered 07:54 AM 04-29-2010
I know what you are going through, my son who is now 7 has been hospitalized twice due to breathing issues and it started right before he was two, you DID do the right thing by closing and even if your son had not been hospitalized i think you did the right thing by closing to care for him and give him the time and attention he needed. You do NOT owe any daycare family your time! Yes you provide a service but that does not mean that you are a doormat or a bad provider for closing! I'd rather be a good parent than a good provider and if closing makes me a bad provider then so be it because my family will ALWAYS come first just as it should be. With that said i rarley close but if i felt i needed to i wouldnt hesitate! I hope your son gets better and that it wont be continuing issue for him like it has been for us. My son is healthy just has breathing issues and recently was diagnosed with asma and allergies, this last episode he had before being diagnosed and given more than just a nuebulizer and albuteral had his oxygen level very low, a kid his size should have been blowing a 200 and he was barely at 60, it took about two weeks of meds to get him up to the right level, and as he got older the symptoms werent as noticable, when he was little i could tell if he was starting to have issues but now i really have to watch him, this time he didnt have a fever or act very sick but he was..stay strong and dont worry about daycare right now, focus on your family, but if i were you i would definitely talk to the dkf that brought their children after being told you were closed and tell them how rude and disrespectful that was and that it will not happen again,when you sayyou are closed that means to everyone!
Kiddie Care
jen 09:07 AM 04-29-2010

Hugs to your son
Crystal, the thing is...she didn't ask for your opinion on whether or not it was OK to close. She called the parents and said she was closed and they showed up anyway. Why would you question her ability as a parent to know when to be or not be open and really, what does the severity of the illness have to do with anything? She said she was closed and that's the end of it. Clearly, if the parents are angry they have the right to leave, but they DO NOT have the right to override her decision!!!!
Crystal 11:48 AM 04-29-2010
You know what, why don't you go back an re-read my posts....from the very beginning I was very considerate of her family. I only said I see the parent's perspective in the situation. I even apologized for not realizing her son was that sick.

I didn't ask for your opinion either, but you were sure to share it.
Tags:hospital, money owed
Reply Up