Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Contemplating Future Of My Daycare... Infants Only?
SilverSabre25 04:48 AM 04-11-2011
It's so hard to get a child in my area that's not an infant...it's driving me nuts. Of course, it *might* just be the time of year; I'm not sure. But, I am realizing that it might make life a whole lot simpler if in the future (when my own baby is older) I take only say, birth to 18 months. I can have 3 under age 2. Do you think I'd be able to charge more than a usual home daycare for the *guaranteed* low ratio? I'm realizing that I'd make more with 3 babies at $200 a week than I make now with 4 at $120...
cheerfuldom 04:55 AM 04-11-2011
$200 a week is a pretty big jump on rates. Have you checked into your area to see what other infant only places would charge? Would you terminate after they reached a certain age?
SilverSabre25 04:59 AM 04-11-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
$200 a week is a pretty big jump on rates. Have you checked into your area to see what other infant only places would charge? Would you terminate after they reached a certain age?
No, not yet. The idea flittered through my brain this morning and I haven't stopped to think about it for very long yet, lol. I know I had more luck getting kids (and charging more) a year ago when I was keeping fewer kids. Most of the CL ads I see in my area don't seem to be infant only. A good number of the daycare ads have pictures that clearly show that they don't follow the law on numbers, either...
wdmmom 05:00 AM 04-11-2011
Potentially, you have to look at the good and the bad.

Good: Low ratio

Bad: Parents aren't going to want to find you when their child is 9 months old only to have to go scouting the town for another sitter in another 9 months.

Parents like the idea of security and they don't want to have to switch providers.

I say up your toddler rates.

Good luck!
Pammie 05:28 AM 04-11-2011
You could probably do very well with that.

I know you're located close to me - and I know infant care is in high demand around here. There's a provider in Minerva Park that charges $200/wk and only keeps children infants up to age 2. I've had several families come to me over the years that started with her - and although they were sad to have to leave her care when their kids turned 2 - they knew going in that that was the arrangement, and really liked that their infants were in an infant-only environment (less contagious illnesses coming in, didn't worry for the safety of their infant with older kids around, etc).

Most centers around us charge over $200/wk for infants.

I've toyed with that idea myself over the years, but personally, I really like the mixed age groups.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do
SilverSabre25 05:33 AM 04-11-2011
Originally Posted by Pammie:
You could probably do very well with that.

I know you're located close to me - and I know infant care is in high demand around here. There's a provider in Minerva Park that charges $200/wk and only keeps children infants up to age 2. I've had several families come to me over the years that started with her - and although they were sad to have to leave her care when their kids turned 2 - they knew going in that that was the arrangement, and really liked that their infants were in an infant-only environment (less contagious illnesses coming in, didn't worry for the safety of their infant with older kids around, etc).

Most centers around us charge over $200/wk for infants.

I've toyed with that idea myself over the years, but personally, I really like the mixed age groups.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do
Thanks Pammie! That's really useful information. My making this switch is definitely at least 2 years away as my own infant needs to be over two in order for it to work . Most of the responses I get are for infants, so I am aware of the demand. Right now I'm trying to figure out if my current lack of responses is due to low demand, something wrong with where I am/my ad/my program, or if it's just a sucky time of year to be trying to get new clients.
Pammie 05:39 AM 04-11-2011
Oh I'm sure it's nothing wrong with your ad (I've seen it on craigslist and it's AMAZING - I'm so jealous) or your location. I think it's just a tough time of year. I've been running ads myself and only get calls from families wanting one day/week
I have a few spots I'm trying to fill for summer - I usually have all my summer spots filled by the end of March - it's just extra challenging this year
SilverSabre25 05:46 AM 04-11-2011
Originally Posted by Pammie:
Oh I'm sure it's nothing wrong with your ad (I've seen it on craigslist and it's AMAZING - I'm so jealous) or your location. I think it's just a tough time of year. I've been running ads myself and only get calls from families wanting one day/week
I have a few spots I'm trying to fill for summer - I usually have all my summer spots filled by the end of March - it's just extra challenging this year
Aww, thanks! It's nice to hear that someone thinks my ad is good, lol. That makes me feel better...I was pretty sure that it was just the time of year, but couldn't be sure. (I've tried to figure out which ads are yours but I'm never sure, lol) I also know that part of it is the sheer saturation of providers around here...there are *so many*.
Tags:infant care, infants only
Reply Up