Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Anyone Licensed In Texas?
littlemommy 11:51 AM 11-01-2011
I have a few questions if ya wouldn't mind.
small_steps 11:52 AM 11-01-2011
I'm licensed in Texas what's your questions?
littlemommy 11:57 AM 11-01-2011
I'm trying to find the contact person to ask a few questions about getting licensed. My family may be relocating for my husband's job. We are from Nebraska and may be moving to the Denison-Sherman area in Grayson County. I can't seem to find someone in that area to talk to.

The questions I wanted to ask were:

1. Do I have to be a resident for a certain amount of time before getting license? Would I be able to start the application process before we move? How long does it take to get through the licensing process?

2. What are the rules on renting or owning a home and operating a daycare? Would we need to buy a home in order for me to start my business?

3. Are there any grants/loans for starting a business in Texas?

4. Are there rules on the age of your own baby? I am due mid January with our 2nd child, and we would be moving shortly after.

5. Do provider's children count against numbers?
small_steps 12:11 PM 11-01-2011
1. I don't believe there is a residency requirement. It does take a few months to get licensed. what I did first was get listed. Being listed you can keep 3 children plus your own until you get your license. It only takes about a month to get listed because all they do is a background check. You could probably get started with the process once you know your new address.
2. I think that all depends on your landlord if you rent. I rent from my parents and they don't mind that I have one. Most landlords in my area don't like their tenants to have a daycare because of wear and tear on the home and it's a liability.
3. I haven't come across any start up grants for the daycare. I'm assuming there's probably some out there but I haven't found them. This year our CCS program (state subsidy program) gave licensed homes a $2200 grant. The year before it was $4000. I had just opened and missed that one. Hoping they do that again this next year.
4 & 5. Your own children do count in your ratios. As a licensed home I can have up to 12 depending on the ages of the kids. Right now I have 2 infants and can have a total of 10 kids altogether. I can't take anymore infants. I believe your own children count in ratio until they are 14.
Check out the DEpartment of family and protective services website for Texas and look in minimum standards (daycare regs) that will explain a lot. Hope that helped some.
littlemommy 12:39 PM 11-01-2011
Thanks!

Do you know anything about the Sherman-Denison area? I did a google search and only saw 4 licensed in home daycares in Sherman. Thought that was kinda weird.
small_steps 01:36 PM 11-01-2011
No. I'm in the Dallas/ft worth area. See if you can find out if they have a child care association for that area. They can probably give you more info if so. We only have about 4-5 licensed in my area too but a lot are registered (can keep up to 6) and some do it without getting either licensed or registered which is illegal in Texas.
littlemommy 02:24 PM 11-01-2011
Do you know if there is a difference in preference between licensed and registered? Does one or the other seem to have better enrollment?
small_steps 02:47 PM 11-01-2011
No preference from what I've seen in my area. Licensed you can have more kids. Registered can only have six pre-k and under.'6 more if they are school age. But parents don't seem to prefer one over the other from what I've seen
safechner 03:02 PM 11-01-2011
There are so many registered and listed in your area. I am a listed with the state because it is much easier for me to take unrelated three children and two daughters of my own.

You are only 15-20 mins away from my area.
littlemommy 07:05 AM 11-02-2011
Another question I thought of-

If you are registered or licensed, are you required to take subsidy families?
small_steps 07:20 AM 11-02-2011
It is not a requirement to take subsidy families. in fact, if you can get enough kids without it I would recommend not doing it. The parents have to use my personal phone every morning and afternoon to check in and out the child. It's just a hassle.
littlemommy 08:30 AM 11-02-2011
Wow that does sound like a hassle.

I don't take subsidy families right now. I tried one a while back because the lady was desperate. She ended up being psycho, the kid was horrible, and the state worker was extremely rude and I never did get paid. She wouldn't return my calls to let me finish the paperwork I had started!
small_steps 08:37 AM 11-02-2011
Originally Posted by littlemommy:
Wow that does sound like a hassle.

I don't take subsidy families right now. I tried one a while back because the lady was desperate. She ended up being psycho, the kid was horrible, and the state worker was extremely rude and I never did get paid. She wouldn't return my calls to let me finish the paperwork I had started!
That's how it is here. Most of the time you get paid but last year at Christmas I didn't get my November or December payment until January. That sucked! Especially because it happened around Christmas. It's been ok so far this year plus they did give us a $2200 grant last year. That made up for it lol.
littlemommy 09:46 AM 11-02-2011
Is everyone eligible for grants? It'd be nice to get one to help me start up in a new town!
small_steps 04:35 PM 11-02-2011
anyone licensed or registered that accepts CCS was eligible for the grant. Registered homes got like $1600 and licensed got $2200 so that was an instant that being licensed had its advantages and really it doesn't cost that much more here to be licensed than registered. I paid around $50 for my license renewal this year
Sunchimes 06:22 PM 11-04-2011
Try this link. You can look for licensed, registered, and listed homes in that area.
http://www.dfps.state.tx.us/Child_Ca...hildCare2.aspx
Tags:grants, texas, texas - regulations
Reply Up