Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Potty Training Charts
mbullette 11:11 AM 02-20-2013
I have a 2 year old who is fully potty trained at home but not at daycare. He refuses to use the potty here and also wouldn't use it at his other sitters. His mom is getting mad because I require him to wear pull ups while he is here. She has also made comments that she feels I am not spending enough time with him when it comes to potty training. I have other kids here and cant sit in the bathroom holding his hand for 15 mins. My other toddlers can get into a lot of things during those 15 mins.

Does anyone have a potty chart they use and give to parents? I have tried standing in there with him, leaving the bathroom, closing the door, leaving the door open, letting him go alone, turning the water on a little and nothing. I have also tried giving him M&M's after he was done but nothing. I am not at all convinced he is fully potty trained. I will take him potty and 10 mins later he has pooped in his pants. He also plays in his poop which is disgusting and I spend more time cleaning him up then actually getting things done. He is always pulling his pull up down when he has them on and I am just lost. He comes in underwear and I put a pull up right on him or he will have a mess for me and the kids will be playing in what they call puddles. Kids!!!
Francine 11:25 AM 02-20-2013
I have this kid at my house too! Mom lets him run around naked at home and apparently he goes to the potty every time. I of course am not going to do that so I told her to at least start putting pajama bottoms or some other loose fitting pants on him at home and see if that works. I guess it does at home but he still refuses to go here. I have been putting Pull Ups on him but she hates me doing that because he goes every time at home so she's frustrated. I was just going to post this question today because I too am at a lose as to what to do. Today I made him stay in my kitchen/dining area where there isn't carpet and tried just pants with no underwear or pull ups, nope he peed his pants and waited until I did put a pull up on him for his nap to poop. I can't wait to hear what the others have to offer!
blandino 08:00 PM 02-20-2013
If he was ready to do it, he would be doing it at your house. There is simply nothing we can do to make a child toilet train. I wish parents would stop placing the blame/control on the daycare provider. It is 100% in their child's control to use the toilet.

This is one of my biggest pet peeves. IMHO you shouldn't even be taking him... if he needs to go and knows where the toilet is then he can go when he needs to.

When a parent continually bugs me about potty training, I invite them to send them in underwear the next day if they feel they are ready (but also remind them that after two accidents they will need to go back in training pants). Normally that quiets the pushy potty training moms.
MamaBearCanada 04:21 AM 02-21-2013
I wonder if it's the parents and not the child who are trained at home. I would ask them:

- is he on a schedule for going to the potty/trying or does he just go when he needs to pee/poop. If he is on a schedule how often is he going? (If they are taking him every 15/30 mins then IMHO he is not trained)
- do they use rewards if so what
- does he tell them when he needs to go or are they looking for signs (again if he is not the one initiating when he needs to go I don't feel he is trained)
- can he undress himself to go

I know some providers have a checklist of expectations that children need tower at home before training starts at daycare. Perhaps something like that would help.
MamaBearCanada 04:23 AM 02-21-2013
Originally Posted by MamaBearCanada:
I wonder if it's the parents and not the child who are trained at home. I would ask them:

- is he on a schedule for going to the potty/trying or does he just go when he needs to pee/poop. If he is on a schedule how often is he going? (If they are taking him every 15/30 mins then IMHO he is not trained)
- do they use rewards if so what
- does he tell them when he needs to go or are they looking for signs (again if he is not the one initiating when he needs to go I don't feel he is trained)
- can he undress himself to go

I know some providers have a checklist of expectations that children need tower at home before training starts at daycare. Perhaps something like that would help.
Sorry, I just reread your post & see that you were asking for a chart/checklist for parents so totally ignore that last paragraph!
Tags:potty training, potty training charts
Reply Up